Having some trouble.....

Having some trouble.....

This is a discussion on Having some trouble..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...concealing my Springfield XD9 subcompact. I'm using an MTAC on my right side at 4-4:30. I'm thinking of getting something smaller (maybe a Kahr) for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some trouble.....

Having some trouble.....

...concealing my Springfield XD9 subcompact. I'm using an MTAC on my right side at 4-4:30. I'm thinking of getting something smaller (maybe a Kahr) for summer carry. Carrying with only a t-shirt is almost impossible at the moment, and I'll usually wear a light jacket or sweatshirt. The grip of the XD still prints and I'm kind of stumped. I may buy the newer (thinner) clips for the MTAC and see if that helps a little with adjustability and cant, but I'm not sure what to do. Re-work existing setup (I do really like my XD)......or go for a smaller, thinner pistol? I'm still very new to CCW and I'd like to hear some ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance

You are in the same boat a bunch of us have been on before. After a while you find your CC weapon is no longer as small as you thought it would be. Happened to me when summer came as well. Realized with a single t-shirt on my grip could print too easily.

Have you considered the M&P compact? They are quite small as are some of the 3 or 3.5inch 1911s. I really like the M&Pc and the Springfield EMP.

You shouldn't avoid the obvious for long. Get a Glock. Jeans and t-shirt guy here. G27 or G19. Welcome to summertime.

I ended up with a CW9 and a pocket .38 for those same reasons. I love the XD but it's not thin.

A few questions:
    -are you using a good quality belt?
    -have you tried moving the holster slightly in one direction or the other to see if it rides better?

with the "right" holster/belt setup, you should have no problem concealing a gun of that size, I use a G19 or 17 under a t-shirt or hawiian shirt all the time.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Check out a Glock 36.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Check out a Glock 36.
    I agree here...I have the G-36 and it's my Harley EDC...as easy to conceal as my Kimber Ultra. I keep mine over my right kidney (IWB at 4:30) when out on the bike...hardley know it's there.

Was not really a Glock fan...they felt/looked like bricks to me...until I picked up the G-36...Niiiiiiiiiice!
    Now I'd consider some of his siblings...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    A few questions:
    -are you using a good quality belt?
    -have you tried moving the holster slightly in one direction or the other to see if it rides better?
    I'm using a 5-stitch Wilderness belt and I have tried moving the holster....... but maybe not enough. That's one of the reasons I think I'll pick up the new thinner clips that have twice as many adjustment holes. I've got the old (original) clips that are about twice as wide. I actually have considered a Glock, but I'm wondering if I'll have some of the same "grip printing" problems. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming.

A different style of over-garment is a solution. Most common for me is a lightweight short-sleave shirt, worn unbuttoned. If you get the "tall" variety, you'll be sure to have the length you need to conceal under almost any circumstances. This is still comfortable even in very hot climes, such as here in San Antonio.

I especially like the ones by Magellan or Columbia, available at Academy and other sporting goods stores.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by petey1 View Post
    I'm using a 5-stitch Wilderness belt and I have tried moving the holster....... but maybe not enough. That's one of the reasons I think I'll pick up the new thinner clips that have twice as many adjustment holes. I've got the old (original) clips that are about twice as wide. I actually have considered a Glock, but I'm wondering if I'll have some of the same "grip printing" problems. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming.
    Are you trying to tuck in the shirt?

You may be better off wearing it untucked, and try going up one size regardless of whether you choose to tuck it in or not.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Summertime, Jeans, T-shirt, full size M&P 45 in a SmatCarry holster. No printing on me.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    +1 on what on what rodc13 said. A lightweight shortsleeved shirt worn unbuttoned and untucked over a t-shirt works well for me here in Alabama in the Summer.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

While I like the XD's quite a bit, as shooters, they are very difficult to conceal due to the thickness. This really goes for any of the double stackers. Personally, I prefer a 1911, but a slimmer single stack is best for concealment. You don't need to go smaller, just thinner.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

try it at about 3:00-3:15. my xd .45 compact tactical all but disappears in my m-tac. i had to adjust the cant a little, but it works great. if you can't conceal it under a t-shirt, you need a bigger t-shirt. a good belt with baggier pants helps too.

VIP Member
    Try a cross draw position, the grip won't stick out back like a handle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links