Need Glock night sight advice - Page 2

Need Glock night sight advice

This is a discussion on Need Glock night sight advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a big TFO fan. Never had any problems with mine (2 GLocks) or for any of the ones I've installed on customers guns....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Glock night sight advice

TFOs

I'm a big TFO fan. Never had any problems with mine (2 GLocks) or for any of the ones I've installed on customers guns.

I have Meps, Trijicons, and Glock Factory (which I think are Meps). They are interchangeable. The Trijicons are brighter, but I don't know if they need to be (they may last a little longer).

I don't see night sights as a necessity on a carry gun. If it's too dark to see, I'm not going to be shooting and if it's light enough to shoot I can see the sights anyway (flashlight, etc). I wouldn't take 'em off, but I wouldn't go out of my way to put 'em on either.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Trijicons on my G30.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Ameriglo Pro Operators

+1 on the XS sights

speaking of which does anyone here know who makes Glock's factory nite sights? I think they're meprolites if I'm not mistaken,can anyone confirm this?

Welcome to the forum! If you don't get night sights installed from the factory--no matter what, they are aftermarket. I've gone with Trijicon for years, simply because my new Glocks came with stock plastic sights, and my best gun shop carried and installed this brand at a reasonable price. I love the factory night sights that came with my SIG P220 better than the Trijicons on my Glocks for sure. I really don't know what I'd chose now for a new replacement set of night sights, but it would likely involve alot of research which you are already doing. I've learned on another forum that self (DIY) night sight installation is rather easy following directions, and some manufacturers include the tools to do this with. I'd go with the best advertised set-up, which may not be the cheapest, but then again--you'd probably pay $20-$25 for the gunsmith to install your night sights walk-in.
    YouTube - XS Sight Glock Installation
    YouTube - XS Sight Install
    Defensive Training Concepts - Installing Night Sights

I have Trijicons on my G19 since 1997 and they are definately less bright than the Trijicons on my G23 which have been on since 2003. The set on my G19 are still visible, just not as bright. I've been told that most night sights need to be replaced after 10 years or so.

I have a set of Ameriglos on my G27 which have a nice sight picture. The only thing that I don't like is the novack type slant on the rear sight. In the rare event that I lose one hand in a gunfight I would not be able to charge a round should I go empty and the slide does not lock back. I know, I know...what are the chances? Ya never know, Murphy's law always seems to bite me in the a$$.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Pleased with my Meps on my G27.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I currently have glocks with factory meps, tru-glo TFOs and ameriglo operator pro's. I recently took off XS 24/7 big dots on a glock 26. My opinions of the sights are as follows:

Factory meps - good quality, decent site picture. On one glock, I replaced them after they dimmed significantly over the course of 10 years. I have two glocks that came from the factory with them and am happy with them. I feel there are better sights but that these are serviceable and likely won't change them out.

Tru-glo TFO- the brightest glow overall and especially under certain lighting conditions, better sight picture than meps, rear sights are noticeably brighter than fronts in the dark. The glow in certain daytime conditions is distracting because I try to do a 3 dot sight picture instead of focusing on the front sight. These sights are an example of where brighter does not equal better. I'd try and sell them if I hadn't taken a black sharpie to the rear fiber optic tubes to dim them down a bit. Overall, I still like them but feel that the fiber optic tritium combo is a bit gimmicky.

XS 24/7 big dot - very fast to get on target but I never really figured them out. I really wanted to like them but consistently shot high on a glock 26 and when shooting for best accuracy, I was much slower than a standard post-notch setup. If I spent a few thousand rounds with them, I might feel differently but early on didn't feel like the increased speed was worth the decreased precision. It's easy to see why people like them but they didn't work for me. I'll be selling them.

Ameriglo Operator Pro - I just installed them today and if my POA/POI is close then they will be my favorite sights by far. The sight picture is fantastic with the thin front post that contains a large white outline tritium lamp. It reminds me of XS's small dot front to some degree because of how much that white circle stands out against the black post. When compared to the TFO in indoor afternoon shadows, it's no contest as that white circle just pops. FYI, in that specific situation, it's too dark for the TFO's fiber optics to glow and too bright for the tritium to stand out. The operator pro's have a wide rear notch and the no white outlines around the rear lamps. My version is the green front which is the brightest color and the yellow rears which is the dimmest color. In the dark, the green front stands out very well against the more dim yellow rears. The difference in color isn't distracting like I feared it would be. The sight picture is amazing with the wide rear notch and thin front with large white cirle. Please keep in mind that I have NOT shot with them yet and that this is a preliminary report.

I am also interested in the warren tactical sights but are a bit pricey in a 3 lamp setup and harder to find. I am not affiliated with ameriglo or the gun and have no incentive to post this yada yada yada but purchased my sights last week for 28% off list from their website with a coupon code. PM me for details.

I'd rather have aftermarket ones, which do not need to be staked on. Trij, Meps are both 100% alternatives. I tried TFO's and hated them.
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    speaking of which does anyone here know who makes Glock's factory nite sights? I think they're meprolites if I'm not mistaken,can anyone confirm this?
    I ordered my G30 with nights and they are Meprolight

I have Meps for my HK45, and when I order my duty BUG its going to be a G26 with Meps

I've been pleased with them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have trijicons and mepros on my glocks. I like the trijicons just a little better. Either will do a fine job for you.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    After using about every sight out there, for fast action, close quarters work nothing beats XS sights. If I were made agency director for a day, the only thing I'd do would be replace all weapons three dot night sights with XS front big dot night sight with a plain rear. I've used them on duty before, at IPDA and when it comes to people who dont train daily with their weapons, I have found that their natural instincts with XO's provide the fastest shots on target. I believe in them so much that they are installed on most of my personal weapons and the ones that dont have them on will as funds become available.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

The factory Glock night sights are Meprolights.

I have Trijicons on my G19. My dad got Glock NS on his G26 (first Glock) and has since switched to the Trijicons. Just likes them better overall.

The Tru-Glo TFOs are very popular but you should realize they are very big (long) compared to other night sights.

I recommend the Trijicons, but I am going to look in to the TFOs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links