Need input on revolver

Need input on revolver

This is a discussion on Need input on revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a j-frame revolver for summer carry. My problem is I have arthritis in my shooting fingers and have trouble with pulling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need input on revolver

I am looking for a j-frame revolver for summer carry.
    My problem is I have arthritis in my shooting fingers and have trouble with pulling the trigger. I would prefer a S&w something like a 642 but am open to any idea's that help me find a revolver with a lighter trigger pull. I would rather it be stock out of box with out having to do a trigger job. any idea's would be appreciated..I am open minded with either a 38 or a 357 with about a 2 inch barrel or so.
    thanks
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a 642 and it is a great gun....one which i carry most. However, it is double action only and hammerless so the trigger pull may be difficult for you if you have bad arthritis. You might want to try one of the double action/single action models so you can cock the hammer back, and have a lighter trigger pull. Check out the J-frame airweights.

Are you dead set on a revolver. If not check out a Kahr CW9 or PM9. Light trigger pull right out of the box and easier to conceal than a j-frame, IMO.

I carry a glock 23 cocked and unlocked most of the time but want something just a little lighter for the summer doing my running around.
    I found a Rossi 38 special in a pawn shop that they want 250.00 for and It looked in decent shape but alas I know nothing about a Rossi revolver and am not sure if the quality is there like a Smith& Wesson.
    the trigger was not to bad but I just wish it was a little lighter on the pull.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

I own many weapons...but everybody should own the S&W 642. Without a doubt, I carry it more than any other side arm. Don't question it...just buy it...that and a Mika pocket holster...a couple of speed strips and you will be well served.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That’s what it’s all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

If it was me, I'd just carry the Glock and deal with the slight discomfort (actually, that's exactly what I do... )

If you're used to the Glock trigger, I highly doubt that you'll find a revolver that compares.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Well, you sometimes can't have it all...if you want a lighter trigger pull on a 642, you'll need spend about $50 and get a trigger job with spring kit...it's a bit lighter and can be much smoother, and is by no means dangerous.

The 642 is an excellent choice for carry; exactly what my wife chose.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have and like the Taurus 605; .38/.357, hammer, 2" barrel, 5 shot, great gun, handles well, very concealable. It has kick with the .357's (of course depending upon the load), almost un-noticeable recoil to me with .38's. I changed out the grips from the rubber grips to wood grips. Not a bad pull at all, but you can cock and shoot and the pull is about 1/2 of that. Understand the arthritis part. It will shoot about any ammo in those calibers.

I can shoot this gun all day long.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I generally don't replace trigger return springs with the lighter versions, which many do as part of a "trigger job." I suspect you may be able to get what you want by using a lighter hammer spring. A decent shop would switch it out on a new-gun purchase without charging you for install. The spring itself is about $5.

As has been mentioned, there is always a danger that the gun will misfire if the job is not done with perfection. I had that happen with a M60 done by a well known and respected shop.

I would be inclined to have a trigger job that would smooth the trigger, but leave the spring alone. Hopefully that would work for one with arthritis.

Best,
    Jerry

As has been mentioned, there is always a danger that the gun will misfire if the job is not done with perfection. I had that happen with a M60 done by a well known and respected shop.
    Are you referring to a Saco Lowell M60 machine gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The S&W Model 638 gives you all the advantages of the venerable 642, but still allows you to cock the hammer, to give you that light and crisp single action trigger pull.

EW3
    I would not recommend a DAO revolver like the 642 if you have arthritis. That trigger is HEAVY. Why don't you look at a pocket pistol like a P32 or LCP. They are DAO as well, but much easier to pull than the wheelgun.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

In your case, having "Arthur Itis", and being used to the Glock, why not go with a Glock 26/27? If you want something smaller check out the Kahr PM9.

I'm usually a big fan of Revolvers, but in your case the Autoloader may be a better choice. If you want a more "revolverlike" Trigger with the Glock you can always add a NY1 Trigger Spring. That's what I currently use.

Kahr has the best DAO Trigger out there, IMHO, for any "bottomfeeder". Your next option is a S&W 442/642 and having a Gunsmith do an "Action Job" on it. For that I would recommend the S&W Performance Center, as that way it will still be covered under warranty if you should ever need it.

The Performance Center does good work, and I have two guns they have worked on, and don't hesitate to recommend them. If it were me, and I really wanted a Revolver, I'd go with an "Action Tuned" 642, but that's just me.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    I own many weapons...but everybody should own the S&W 642. Without a doubt, I carry it more than any other side arm. Don't question it...just buy it...that and a Mika pocket holster...a couple of speed strips and you will be well served.
    Substitute a sexier 442 and a Kramer pocket holster for the Mika and I'll agree with that.

Everyone should own a J frame. I'm thinking I'll have two soon when I get the new lemon squeezer.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links