Thoughts on the SIG P-6(225) for carry.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the SIG P-6(225) for carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like this little rascal alot. I have heard it said that the original barrel won't feed American jhp ammunition very well. How true is ...

Thread: Thoughts on the SIG P-6(225) for carry.

Thoughts on the SIG P-6(225) for carry.

I like this little rascal alot. I have heard it said that the original barrel won't feed American jhp ammunition very well. How true is this? My question is if that is the case would Cor-Bon Pow'r ball be a good defensive alternative? Looking forward to your input.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I like this little rascal alot. I have heard it said that the original barrel won't feed American jhp ammunition very well. How true is this? My question is if that is the case would Cor-Bon Pow'r ball be a good defensive alternative? Looking forward to your input.
    It is an excellent gun, not just for the price.

Powerball or Federal EFMJ are fine. Maybe not as good as some other offerings, but place your shots and you will be just fine.

Let's see..... The West German Police have trusted this gun for how many years? Mine is a 96 date code. but I know a lot of them date back to the 80's.

Excellent firearm on all sides of every coin. Also regarding Hollow Points. Buy a few boxes of a few different types. You may find yours eats them just fine.

Hornady XTP rounds I've had pretty good luck with. Pow'R'Balls and EFMJs should feed with zero problems as well.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    225 P6's are not all created equal. The 225 I got didn't feed hollowpoints, but several people on this board got good ones that do. Heck, the one I got had a loose barrel that wouldn't even shoot straight. Even with the slide fully closed I could wiggle the barrel. Try yours out and it just might work. If it does you have yourself a very nice carry weapon.

I have a pair, '80 and '83. I just finished detailing and coating them, and will get to the range this weekend. Couple of thoughts. I consider environmental resistance to be a significant part of a carry gun's value- you shouldn't have to wipe its butt every day. In this resepct, unless you approach it with the idea of getting coated or refinished, the P6 may not be a best-buy for you. OTOH, some people love worn bluing, so...

I polish and recrown my barrels and hone the chambers, and I don't shoot 147 grain bullets, so I doubt I'll have feeding issues. Functionally, without doubt they are excellent value.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The original P6 barrel had problems with HPs. A lot of the surplus guns hitting the market have had P225 barrels (which are different, presumably in the feed ramp) installed during reconditioning and they handle HPs just fine, apparently. Replacement P225 barrels can be had for under $150, I believe.

I just got a P6 and haven't tried any HPs in it yet. Manufacture date was '83, so I am hoping it was old enough to get the full refurb treatment. I've also got a custom machined short trigger on the way, and I will be putting in an 18lb Wolf spring, 'cause the factory 24lb just makes that DA a little too heavy for my liking... Even so, first range trip was very promising!

What do people have in the way of P225/P6 holsters? (I don't think I will be using the drop-loop double thumb-break beast that came with it...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    ...What do people have in the way of P225/P6 holsters? (I don't think I will be using the drop-loop double thumb-break beast that came with it...)
    I've found that holsters for the P239 fit the P225 quite well. Supposedly, holsters for the P228/P229 fit also, however, if the P229pistol is .40/357Sig, that might not be the case. I've found out through my own experience, that my holsters for my P229 .40/357Sig are a bit loose for my liking.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    What do people have in the way of P225/P6 holsters? (I don't think I will be using the drop-loop double thumb-break beast that came with it...)
    I used a heat gun on a BladeTech Universal IWB holster for a 1911 that I had sitting around. Molded very well. I suspect the $40 Glock Universal would be less trouble to work with, as the widths are much closer.

I also hate to mention, but the 239 short trigger will drop into a P6 with a tad of grinding on the end to keep from hitting the trigger guard. Not that TJ doesn't make a pretty product, just a bit pricey for me.

Links