Kahr .45 or Taurus .45

This is a discussion on Kahr .45 or Taurus .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I have been looking into buying a .45 for a few weeks now, I really like the glock 30 or the XD .45, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr .45 or Taurus .45

Kahr .45 or Taurus .45

Ok, so I have been looking into buying a .45 for a few weeks now, I really like the glock 30 or the XD .45, but having a hard time justifying the considerable jump in price compared to the Kahr or Taurus. Pretty much gonna be a home defense weapon, will be taking it to range but not shooting as much as my G19 or P22. I will be carrying it when I can. Anyway, my question is, I seem to like the Kahr, I believe it was the cw45. I dont really know to much or heard too much about the Kahr, would I be better off getting the Kahr or the Taurus millinium pro. Also I do know the taurus has a lifetime warranty but the kahr doesnt

2. Remove Ads

For a few bucks more you can get a smith mp compact. Nice pistol. I think the 45 version is shipping the middle of june.
    The millenium pro I had was the 40 cal. good pistol for what it designed for, 7-10 yards. The kahr will be more accurate. Also both series of pistols have had problems. The plus with the 3rd generation of the taurus is both the front and rear sight are dovetailed so changing sights would be easier.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Want my .02?
    Stay away from Taurus. I had 3 and got rid of them all.
    I have 2 Glock 30's and an HK .45
    You get what you pay for
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Although I already own a HK USP45c and love it, I'm anxioiusly awaiting the new SA XD-M in .45. Good luck!

Get the Kahr. I have the CW45, and it has never had one issue in over 500 rounds. It's thinner and lighter than the Taurus, plus Taurus customer service doesn't have the best reputation.

I wouldn't wish an M&P compact on anyone. Personal experience with 2 bad ones. Visit M-P Pistol.com (you have to register now, but it's free) and pay close attention to the tech difficulties board. The magazine drop problem they have was rumored to be "fixed," but it somehow continues to plague this pistol. (Recent posts, May 2008)They'll replace your mag catch for free, as many times as you need it, but probably not in the middle of a gunfight when you really need it. I guess you could duct tape the mag in.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have a Kahr .40 and 9mm. Can't speak to the .45 but I CAN speak to Kahr's customer service. I had a mag-follower break and they shipped me 3 new ones for free, no questions asked. Very cordial and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR369 View Post
    Ok, so I have been looking into buying a .45 for a few weeks now, I really like the glock 30 or the XD .45, but having a hard time justifying the considerable jump in price compared to the Kahr or Taurus. Pretty much gonna be a home defense weapon, will be taking it to range but not shooting as much as my G19 or P22. I will be carrying it when I can. Anyway, my question is, I seem to like the Kahr, I believe it was the cw45. I dont really know to much or heard too much about the Kahr, would I be better off getting the Kahr or the Taurus millinium pro. Also I do know the taurus has a lifetime warranty but the kahr doesnt
    Would definitely go with the Kahr. Will never buy another Taurus.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I've had the Glock 30, and the G21. Personally, the Glocks in 45acp didn't work for me. Not at the range, but carry-wise. The G30 is the best of it's kind no doubt, but after I sold/traded both, I went with a full size SIG 8+1 rounds. Now they have come out with the SF models--maybe a little late for me now. Even being the Glock guy I am, you can find plenty alternatives and come back to your senses in your own good time or make something better of the available options.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I have a Taurus 1911 and love it. It functions flawlessly. I hear of other's problems with Taurus, but I haven't heard too many bad things about the 1911. Perhaps I got lucky, perhaps the problems haven't manifested themselves yet. I think you can run into issues with any manufacturer. Get the one that fits hour hand the best and the one you can shoot the best.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    You get what you pay for
    I hear not even their revolvers will last as long as the Rugers and S&Ws... yes, you do get what you pay for these days... I can't understand why people gamble on things not tested true.

I've been underwhelmed by every Taurus I've handled or shot.

I have a taurus pt945 (8 years old or so) have shot a few thousand rounds through it and still no problem til this day with it. It has been very reliable. I have had some issues with my wifes Mil pro ( not a 45). I would definitely recommend the pt 945.
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

I recently bought a PT145 and absolutely love it. It's shot everything I've fed it. I traded an XD45 for it and don't regret it.

I had a taurus millenium 40 cal and traded it in on a SigPro 2022 40 cal,I have several other hanmdguns I carry concealed my main gun is a 1911 3" 45,I'm looking at getting a Keltec 9mm for those times I need something more concealable
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I've personally had very good luck with Taurus firearms. Over the years, I've owned five of them, including a PT111 Millenium in 9mm.

That being said, I'd go with the Kahr. I own two of those, in .40, as well, and the quality is much better.

OTOH, if one of your candidates was the Taurus PT1911, I'd say go for THAT....

....but you're shopping for something a tad smaller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links