The Kahr .380 looks like my next purchase

This is a discussion on The Kahr .380 looks like my next purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this gun out yet? I hear it should be out early next month... the small size in a caliber that's just about equivalent to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kahr .380 looks like my next purchase

Is this gun out yet? I hear it should be out early next month... the small size in a caliber that's just about equivalent to .38spl is making me thing hard about getting out.

I looked on their website and MSRP will be $649--they better have one superior product to be tossing out that number!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I looked on their website and MSRP will be $649--they better have one superior product to be tossing out that number!
    The MSRP is usually $100-200 more than retail often... Just look on S&W and other company web sites, and compare those to the actual asking prices in shop... if that Kel Tec were to be closer to $500 then I would consider it... it has to be stone cold reliable though.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I was all set to buy the Ruger LCP until all the reports came in about things breaking. I will wait and see what the range reports are on this one. It does look much nicer than the LCP, I must say.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    in a caliber that's just about equivalent to .38spl [/IMG]
    Which 380 ammo is about equal to good 38spl +p ammo?
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Which 380 ammo is about equal to good 38spl +p ammo?
    Who said +p?

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I was all set to buy the Ruger LCP until all the reports came in about things breaking. I will wait and see what the range reports are on this one. It does look much nicer than the LCP, I must say.
    Not surprised here at all... I hear Ruger makes strong, reliable revolvers but their semi autos in center fired cartridges have a history of having reliability issues of some sort... I hope who ever is carrying a LCP gets word and carefully checks their gun out, because a carry gun that's unreliable can be fatal to the potential user.

I'm a big Kahr fan. It'll be a little more pricey than the Keltec or Ruger.....but I'm betting it'll be worth it. I'm looking fwd to seeing it.

This is the reason I haven't committed to an LCP yet. I think the Kahr is the .380 with potential. Price point should never be a concern when it comes to personal defense (but lower prices are easier to swallow).
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've been looking at this little gun to go along with my CW9. There are some really hot days here in FL that makes me want a pocket gun. Only a few days left 'til June, can't wait for more details and reviews, it definitely looks like a quality gun though. However, with a price that high, I might have to consider the Springfield EMP too.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Lcplcplcp

LCP is a good quality 380. I have been to the range twice with mine, fireing about 50 rounds a trip. The only thing that went wrong is I ran out of ammo. Its a great gun for the money. I have seen $1200.00 guns have problems. Do you really think RUGER would put out a piece of junk, or for that matter, any gun manufacter. It has been flawless, and I carry it when I have to pocket carry. Stay Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    ....... Do you really think RUGER would put out a piece of junk, or for that matter, any gun manufacter.... .
    That is one of the most interesting comments I've seen in a long time. With no disrespect intended, you must be very young or have not been paying very close attention over the past 45 years. Certainly Colt, Winchester, and Smith & Wesson have put out some poor quality firearms in that time frame. There have been a plethora of junk guns put out by the lower-end brand manufacturers over the years, many of them imports before our benevolent government began watching out for us by limiting firearm imports. Just my opinion......... no offense intended.

I too am holding off on the Ruger because of the recent quality issues and intend to buy a Kahr 380 for my wife when they come out.

Stay with KT...for the same $$$ buy one P-3AT and two more for BUG's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My experience and take it for what you will.

The service department at Kahr was wonderful. Very quick response and very few questions asked when I sent my P-40 in for repairs.
    After the 3rd time they failed to make it go bang reliably, the sent me a completely new gun.
    After that gun failed to go bang reliably (twice), the refunded my money.
    I hear rumors that my problem is not isolated, but mostly happen in the larger caliber / smaller framed guns. So in theory a .380 shouldn't have too many issues.
    For fair disclosure, if I could have depended on it to go bang, that gun would be my current carry weapon. I loved its size, the recoil wasn't too bad, it is very accurate considering, it hid VERY easily. But that whole no bang thing after so many repairs.

When I was issued my refund, I bought a Kel-tec P3AT and when supplies caught up with demand a Kel-tec PF-9.

P3AT +/- 400 rounds and IIRC I have had one jam/FF after 150 straight rounds breaking it in without cleaning. I really think it was gunk build up from cheap practice ammo. Since then, not even a hiccup.

Pf-9 +/- 300 rounds and the only jam/FF was user error regarding the mag not being completely in. Secured the mag and no issues. My one complaint is that my mag release button is a bit difficult, sometimes taking a second push to eject the mag, but as I use it more it seems to be breaking in.

Just over $200 NIB for the P3AT
    Just over $250 NIB for the PF-9
    and both work as advertised
    Fair warning, neither are range guns. Both have excessive recoil for the caliber of bullet, but that is what happens with such small, light guns.

My P3AT gets pocket carried in very dirty dusty conditions and is often damp as well as dirty. She doesn't look as pretty as she did new, but she works like a champ. A quick breakdown and swipe with some Hoppes and she is good to go. At $+/- 200 I am not worried about if she eventually gives in to the grime, she did her job and that's what counts.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Man View Post
    That is one of the most interesting comments I've seen in a long time. With no disrespect intended, you must be very young or have not been paying very close attention over the past 45 years. Certainly Colt, Winchester, and Smith & Wesson have put out some poor quality firearms in that time frame. There have been a plethora of junk guns put out by the lower-end brand manufacturers over the years, many of them imports before our benevolent government began watching out for us by limiting firearm imports. Just my opinion......... no offense intended.

I too am holding off on the Ruger because of the recent quality issues and intend to buy a Kahr 380 for my wife when they come out.
    I'm 65. Ruger is not a lower end gun company. I had a 380 Davis, that was when it came out called a Sat. Nite Special, it never missed fired at any time. And we know what that gun is worth. I bought it new over 25 years ago, it seems for $60.00. The LCP is a good little pocket gun and I am sure in time it will be proven so. To make a comparison between a Kahr and a LCP IMO is not fair. Your talking 2 price points. No disrespect taken. Stay Safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links