Advice needed on a new gun.

This is a discussion on Advice needed on a new gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I find myself torn in a decision for a carry gun/office/home gun. I have a nice little Comped Taurus 605 .357 at home as ...

Well, I find myself torn in a decision for a carry gun/office/home gun. I have a nice little Comped Taurus 605 .357 at home as well as a Remington 870 Police Magnum at home already. However, I am in need of something to carry to and fro the office. I prefer semi autos and love Glocks. Have had the 17 and 22 versions.

Bit of background on me: I am experienced with Firearms. Was a security guard. Was a cop after that. Worked in LE for around 3.5 years ended that in Patrol. (Miss that BTW) Retired early and ended up going to law school. Have an office Downtown now and many clients in and out. Five lawyers in my group there.

Here is the one thing that has changed my approach to handguns. I have a 4 1/2 year old child.

I do love Glocks, in fact the 17 was what I carried as a duty weapon and the 19 are like an extension of my hand. Like Buttah! I always say. Used to shoot a 98/99 with my 17. (That was one of the 1st gen that is still in use today with my father. Was handed down then back up as a duty weapon)

I am leaning toward the G19. However, I would like to know what security measures I should consider that would also allow for easy access at home. Should I consider a gun with more safety features? Or is that just something to get in the way?

Next, what is the best storage method? I hate trigger locks. Like safes but only have room for a small one. Drawer safe? Does that allow for expeditious access though?

Decisions, decisions. Any input here? Sorry, typed all that in around 10 seconds.

I have a kid on the way and have thought about what I plan to do. For the exception of the gun I happen to be carrying, all my others are locked up in a safe. I plan on buying one of those quick, easy access single handgun safes to keep by the bed at night.

Sounds like a G19 would be a perfect choice for you. Great all-around gun.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

You can get a 2-Gun "Push Button" safe with a springloaded door. I'm planning on putting one in my Truck.

They work well for securing a gun near the bed. especially if bolted to the floor under the bed. The one's I like also have a key that has to be turned before the door will open.

I would turn the key at night before retiring, thus all you would have to do to obtain the gun is use the "push button" feature. Then, if you didn't have a proper safe, lock the keylock portion.

They retail for about $100-$125 here, depending on make/model.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

You can't go wrong with a Glock 19... excellent size, capacity and reliability. It also works great for carry as well as on the range.

I had done a few searches and found a nice small safe that I have under my bed, or it could go most anywhere, and can handle roughly 5 or 6 handguns, plus magazines. Quick access cypher lock on the safe.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

If you had to buy a Block the 19 would be my choice too.

In fact, I own one, but seldom use/carry it as I have other weapons that I prefer. The Glock 19 is the best one they make IMHO, and they make a pretty good tool.

Biker

Did a quick google for small safes. Looks like they have come a long way. Thanks folks. Now time to find a Glock 19. Checked a few shops and they were out.

WOOHOO!

check out deansafe.com

I have a V-Line and also a Fort Knox pistol box.

IMHO

it is time to gun proof the child. Of course getting a safe and following proper safety protocols are a very good idea. However, just like you've probably considered layered home defense: spot lights, a dog, a security system, locking the front door.

Layered gun safety is the best way as well. That way if you slip up and leave your gun unattended, if you forget to lock the safe, if you child is very smart and nosy...
    When your child KNOWS that guns are not for them. When your child KNOWS that mom and dad will be VERY CROSS (to put it politely) if the child is even near a gun without permission, if the child is taught to "not touch" but sound the "Alarm", you and your family will be much better off.

Someone on another forum has trained his 5 year old since he was 3. He also has a 3 year old who is just starting gun awareness / gun safety training. He took the firing pin (and the mag) out of his 1911, then left it on the coffee table and covertly watched the two kids when they came in from outside.

The 3 year old noticed it first and after eyeballing it for a few seconds went right for it. The 5 year old noticed, yelled "NO" to the 3 year old, then yelled for Dad and physically restrained the 3 year old from getting to the gun. Way to go 5 year old and way to teach, dad.

I would say, that kind of layered defense is what you should be striving for.

Links