Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status? - Page 2

Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

This is a discussion on Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO PPS is too big for most pockets (O.K. for large cargos, I suppose). The Keltec PF9 is closer to a true pocket pistol and ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

True Pocket Pistol

IMO PPS is too big for most pockets (O.K. for large cargos, I suppose). The Keltec PF9 is closer to a true pocket pistol and I have carried it in the front pocket of loose or pleated pants. It works well in a cargo pocket.

Administrator
    Well, you could buy a derringer in some Kick Butt calibers but, I'm not too fond of the Derringer firearm format.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Except for jeans pockets, my Kel Tec 9 sits in all pockets well .
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

When I say "pocket carry" I mean POCKET carry... PPS, Choped 1911, Glock G26/27, K9 and even a J frame is too large IMHO... why are there not more R9 sized 9mm? Or more MK9 sized guns (in 40cal no less!!!).

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

IMO Nothing beats a S&W 642 with +P ammo.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

I don't consider any "pocket pistol" (and very few sub-compacts)worthy of the designation "primary carry pistol." Pocket pistols are for use as BUGs or for times when it's literally the only gun you can conceal without being "made" when in a non-permissive environment (not because you're too lazy to dress around the gun).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have an R9S and carry it much more frequently than my G36 or my Kimber Pro CDP. With the R9, I don't have to think about what I'm wearing, and if I don't want to give up poket space I just drop in in a High Noon Mr. Softy IWB holster.

Are they expensive? Yes, but you don't have to buy one at retail. Used models typically sell for around $800, but I've heard of used sales much lower than that. You also have to consider that the pistol is hand built to some pretty high standards. Compare the trigger on an R9 to the trigger on an NAA Guardian and you'll see what I mean. My Kimber CDP was more expensive, and the build quality was not as high as that of the Rohrbaugh.

That said, there are some things to know about Rohrbaughs:

1) They're ammo sensitive, as they use an inertial firing pin and are built to some VERY tight tolerances. Use WWB for range ammo and GDHP for carry ammo and you'll be fine. You cannot shoot +P ammo in a Rohrbaugh.

2) They require more maintenance than most guns. The recoil spring (a $4 part) has to be changed about every 150 rounds. For the average R9 owner, this is probably every 3 trips to the range.

3) The R9 is a very "snappy" gun, and not particularly pleasant to shoot. It was not designed as a range gun, it was designed to be the smallest 9mm defensive handgun on the market.

There seems to be two crowds when it comes to Rohrbaughs. People that don't understand the concept and haven't had an opportunity to shoot one tend to think they're overpriced crap, and the internet is filled with misinformation (like 'they're only designed for a 500 round lifespan'). Rohrbaugh owners tend to be rabidly loyal, and if you scope the Rohrbaugh forums you'll find several owners with multiple R9s.

I'm not that fanatical about mine, but if it was stolen I'd be shopping for another one the next day. If you "get" the gun and its design, the limitations don't matter.

I carry a Taurus PT145 with a pocket holster in my pocket all the time. I wear loose fitting pants and an untucked t shirt. I have no problems carrying this way.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I carry a Taurus PT145 with a pocket holster in my pocket all the time. I wear loose fitting pants and an untucked t shirt. I have no problems carrying this way.
    When I wear these sort of clothing, I carry my sigs (mostly the 239 in cross draw IWB position.) Only want a pocket gun to carry when dressed more 'conservatively.'
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have Glocks, Kimbers, and S&W's...
    If you're looking for a true pocket gun, like a P-3AT, you might look at KelTec's P-11 (9mm).

I have three of the KT's, the .32, the .380, and the P-11...
    I like the .380, but you could easily pocket carry the P-11 (if you want the 9mm as a pocket gun).

The S&W 637 also easily tucks in a front pocket...

OMO...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 31st, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Smile Pocket carry.

Yup, S&W 642 snubby loaded with some nasty gold dots in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick does the trick. Just drop in your pocket and go.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If you have deep pockets like I do, the Glock 26 isn't a bad pocket piece, but weighs about the same as a Ruger SP101, so its not a gun I would carry in a pocket everyday. I only pocket carry when I'm making short trips. If I plan to be out longer than ten minutes I gear up with the holster, belt, and all the other crap I carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Well, Kahr makes the PM9, which is smaller than the MK9.
    No, it's not smaller. Just lighter. I pocket carry a PM9 every day and with +p ammo, it's perfectly acceptable as a primary. I carry two spare mags in the other pocket so 19 rounds should be enough or I've got much bigger problems.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtemplar View Post
    No, it's not smaller. Just lighter. I pocket carry a PM9 every day and with +p ammo, it's perfectly acceptable as a primary. I carry two spare mags in the other pocket so 19 rounds should be enough or I've got much bigger problems.
    Sorry, I was thinking of the K9/P9/CW9 sized pistols.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Pocket Primary is an oxymoron.
    This quote sums things up well IMO. The closest thing to what you are asking for is a PM9... I've had mine for a long time and love it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links