Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status? - Page 4

Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

This is a discussion on Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CR2008 Would you feel more comforted by a Desert Eagle? only if it runs better than a Glock...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Would you feel more comforted by a Desert Eagle?
    only if it runs better than a Glock
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

*1 on the 340 what a gun...

I routinely carry a Kahr PM9 in a Nemesis pocket holster. I carry an extra mag in a pocket mag carrier from K&D Holsters in the other pocket along with my keys.

When I read threads like this paranioa keeps coming to mind. I realize that a good boy scout is always prepared but do you really need a 15 round 40 caliber with 30 extra rounds for your EDC? Only in the past few years have LEO and others switched to a semi auto from the .38 six shot revolver. Has America and your lifestyle changed that much in the past 15 years.

I just keep getting the impression that too many people are walking around looking for a reason to shoot someone rather than defend themselves. Too many times I hear comments about making sure that you kill rather then just stopping the threat. I know part of it is I grew up in a different age and under different circumstances but I really hear too many comments regarding the low value of life.

I don't want to step on anyones toes but I have a P3AT that I am perfectly comfprtable with carrying as a primary defensive weapon. I seriously doubt that I will ever need it but if I do and it isn't adequate I am fully prepared for the consequenses. I just don't feel that I require a Desert Eagle to provide adequate protection. Outside of wars more people have been killed with .22 and .25 than any other caliber.

Being killed does not mean being stopped.

When I read threads like this paranioa keeps coming to mind. I realize that a good boy scout is always prepared but do you really need a 15 round 40 caliber with 30 extra rounds for your EDC? Only in the past few years have LEO and others switched to a semi auto from the .38 six shot revolver. Has America and your lifestyle changed that much in the past 15 years.
    Actually, how do you know everyone's situation and lifestyle? I would think the caliber and capacity being important depend on the situation... and from my experience in living in a country with a very high rate of violent crime (Kingston was actually the "murder capital" of the world back in 2006!), the criminals are heavily armed, some times they are literally rolling with AK47 (aka "the chopa"), even the classical M1 grand is used down there, and the 'every day" BG has a stolen glock or something to that effective... if you have 2 to 3 armed men ambushing a home, armed like that, you think a revolver is really equal to a high capacity semi auto? The one that is less likely to be reloaded (due to higher capacity) will be advantageous.

Also, in America, criminals have become MORE violent, ignore that fact all you want... why do you think more police departments are issuing AR15s are other assualt rifles to cops on the street? They keep them in the trunks... you think they issued them "just for show?" It's because criminals are better armed today, and are more violent.

Missouri "stop n rob" shootout (3 armed men)
    LiveLeak.com - Brave Store Owner Get's Shot In Ribs In Shootout

Clerk shoots out with 5 robbers (at lest 3 are armed)
    LiveLeak.com - Store Clerk takes out 5 Robbers!

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Outside of wars more people have been killed with .22 and .25 than any other caliber.
    Huh... and how long did it take for the attacker TO STOP his attacks on the person who used those small caliber weapons?

I have seen video and read reports of people even getting MULTIPLE hits to the face and torso, especially with the .25acp, and they had a lot of fight left in them, to return fire, or to use fists and knives. There was a news report of a cab driver who was shot below the ear with a .25acp, execution still... the taxi man actually thought he was tazered and he said he had a headache, he NEVER KNEW he even was shot... the round did minimal damage. That's scary... it looks like such a round is MORE useful to stun someone while the victim uses the chance to run away.

Even pellet guns and sling shots have killed people, does this make them effective?

What if MORE people are killed by stones than with a .22/.25 does this mean a stone is more effective?

If someone was determined to kill you, on drugs, has serious mental issues etc, and you can barely even penetrate the CNS or chest cavity, you could very well kill the attacker later on, but not stop him from killing or seriously wounding you first, then the attacker dies in surgery or something... that's reality right there.

People being killed are the results of someone trying to STOP them, but just because they are killed, does not mean their attack was not deadly, it does not mean they were STOPPED.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Kel-Tec P3at 2G, great for pocket.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Well, I carry a P3AT 380 in my pocket at least ĺ of the year. When itís cooler I carry a Glock 26 in a OWB holster.

I agree with you that anything larger then the P3AT is to big for pocket carry. And Iíve tried everything form a Smith 38 chiefs special to a Walther PPK.

However, with the current trend of warring shirts untucked Iíve recently stated carrying the G26 with my shirt untucked even when warring shorts.

I carry a SW 340M&P .357. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s the only gun I own. I carry it usually in a FIST belt holster or a belly band. I have a MIKA pocket holster that keeps it from printing in the pocket.

I’ve carried it in the pocket of Jeans, slacks, and sweat pants - always for a quick trip to the store or to get coffee and always a little uncomfortably. Generally I consider it too large and too heavy for pocket carry.

I know that they call it a pocket carry gun – even the "ultimate" pocket revolver. I just don’t see it that way. It’s too large and heavy to be considered an everyday pocket carry piece for most people. At least that’s the way I view it. Other j-frame fans (of which I am one myself) will disagree with me very openly – I’m sure.

For me – everyday pocket carry means something like a P3AT or perhaps a Rohrbaugh or perhaps the new Ruger .380 max.

MARV

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    The only thing gun I can think about is the Kahr MK9 (and possibly MK40, if I could handle the recoil.) There is also the Rohrbaugh R-9 (TOO expensive though, at around $1000).
    If it saves your life, the $1000 you spent on the Rohrbaugh will be the furthest thing from your mind.

Basically, to answer your question, if you want to stay with 9mm or better, AND carry it in your pocket, you've got very few choices:
    1. Kahr PM-9
    2. Rohrbaugh R-9
    3. S&W J-Frame (my favorite)

If you'd like to expand your choices to include the venerable .380, you add many more choices.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Well, I carry a P3AT 380 in my pocket at least ĺ of the year. When itís cooler I carry a Glock 26 in a OWB holster.

I agree with you that anything larger then the P3AT is to big for pocket carry. And Iíve tried everything form a Smith 38 chiefs special to a Walther PPK.

However, with the current trend of warring shirts untucked Iíve recently stated carrying the G26 with my shirt untucked even when warring shorts.
    I have the Kel Tec 32acp, so far proven to be reliable.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I carry my Taurus 850 [.38 Titanium] all the time in a Nemesis pocket holster in my regular jeans pocket.
    Brad - NRA, MCRGO, USCCA
    Kimber = Tactical Pro 9mm, Ultra Carry II .45ACP both with CTC grips...Taurus = 4410 .410or.45LC, 850Ti .38 with CTC grip, PT111Ti 9mm, PT145 .45ACP...Kel Tec = P3-AT 2nd gen .380...Cobra = CB9 9mm

Revolvers are viable pocket guns, noticed that few days ago

carry my Taurus 850 [.38 Titanium] all the time in a Nemesis pocket holster in my regular jeans pocket.
    I realized now that the J frames, ESPECIALLY the light weights like the scandium models, are perfect for pocket carry. I held a 357mag (S&W 340PD) and talk about LIGHT, it was just a few more onces than the Kel Tec but packed more punch, it has more uses IMHO considering you could choose standard 38 loads, +p or magnum (if you dare).

I have seen the light now! (though I went along with the 640, steel to deal with magnum loads if I wish to use them!!!)

My pocket piece which I consider a fair primary weapon if needed is my Kahr PM9. Personally I just dont feel right if my XD45 isnt in its proper location IWB.

I retired my Interarms Walther PPK .380 and now carry a Kahr MK9 with 124gn +p Goldots. The Kahr is exactly the same size as the Walther. I prefer a steel frame over plastic and you don't even notice the extra couple of ounces in weight when carried in a Bianchi professional IWB.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links