Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

This is a discussion on Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my Kel Tec 2 weeks ago, and was impressed over all, especially for the price, BUT I really don't see myself carrying the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

I got my Kel Tec 2 weeks ago, and was impressed over all, especially for the price, BUT I really don't see myself carrying the .32acp pistol as a PRIMARY weapon... every time I look on real world conditions (perp's hands deflecting rounds due to bone, lack of penetration to deep vital organs etc), I personally don't even want to go bellow a 9mm for a primary weapon. A BUG is different in that it's not the first gun at the hands of the defender.

Went to the Gun store, looked on the Glock 26, and EVEN THAT seems to be to large to honestly be called a pocket pistol... looking for something to replace the Sig P239 on days where I have to have my shirt tucked in, and I don't want any noticeable bulges, so a pocket pistol WITH primary weapon status is what I want.

The only thing gun I can think about is the Kahr MK9 (and possibly MK40, if I could handle the recoil.) There is also the Rohrbaugh R-9 (TOO expensive though, at around $1000).

What other quality pocket sized guns in 9mm (and up if possible) are on the market besides the MK9 and R9?

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Well, Kahr makes the PM9, which is smaller than the MK9... Kel-Tec makes a 9mm the same size as the Kahr MK9 (PF-9). Depending on what your pockets look like, there are a plethora of .38/.357 or even .44 snub nosed revolvers, as well as subcompact versions of double stack service pistols - Glock 26/27 that you looked at, Springfield XD9SC, M&P9c come to mind. There are also the slim single stack alloy autos, such as the Springfield EMP and S&W 3913. Both of those are 9mm and can be carried in a large front pocket, but I can't imagine wanting to. You'd be better served carrying those in a tuckable IWB or smart carry, since they're slimmer and won't print as much when tucked. If you are dead set on pocket carry, I would honestly look at the small polymer .380s - Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP come to mind. I carry a P3AT all the time, even when I'm not carrying a gun.

For me, any gun larger than the KT P3AT is too large for pocket carry. I realize many others have no problem with J-Frames or even a G 26, but I don't carry anything larger that the KT for pocket carry.

Best,
    Jerry

bae
    J-frames
    Walther PPS
    Ruger LCP

.357 snubbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Well, Kahr makes the PM9, which is smaller than the MK9... Kel-Tec makes a 9mm the same size as the Kahr MK9 (PF-9). Depending on what your pockets look like, there are a plethora of .38/.357 or even .44 snub nosed revolvers, as well as subcompact versions of double stack service pistols - Glock 26/27 that you looked at, Springfield XD9SC, M&P9c come to mind. There are also the slim single stack alloy autos, such as the Springfield EMP and S&W 3913. Both of those are 9mm and can be carried in a large front pocket, but I can't imagine wanting to. You'd be better served carrying those in a tuckable IWB or smart carry, since they're slimmer and won't print as much when tucked. If you are dead set on pocket carry, I would honestly look at the small polymer .380s - Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP come to mind. I carry a P3AT all the time, even when I'm not carrying a gun.
    Smart carry looks to slow to me... if I figured that could do, I would not be thinking about another gun. The G26 is also to large to be considered a true pocket pistol IMHO, if that were in the pocket, it would print to obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    J-frames
    Walther PPS
    Ruger LCP
    Not interested in a .380 any more, must be 9mm to sub as primary weapon at times, J-frames and PPS also to big to me... I held the PPS today, and it looks about the same size as a G26, but a little longer in the grip area though thiner... the Kahr MK9 looks like the best bet thus far.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Pocket Primary is an oxymoron.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

The new Kahr 380 when it comes out. May well displace my P3AT and make me forgo an LCP purchase. Or step up to the PM45!

Lookat the new PPS in 9 or 40, or perhaps a J-frame .357.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    SW J frame loaded with Speer Gold Dot short barrel 135 grain JHPs.

I would look at the Kahr PM9 over the MK9. Seemed better made and smaller to me. Would work as a pocket pistol in a lot of pants and shorts.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

You picked them

I spent months compairing the various options and came to the MK9. The R9 was too expensive, the Seecamps too expensive and only 380 and lower, LCP cheap but only a 380, and so on. The MK9 and the PM9 have the same foot print; the difference is plastic or stailess frame. I was very pleased with the trigger, it is smooth and light as is the recoil. However if anyone wants to send an R9 I will gladly feed it and keep it safe

Happy hunting!,
    Searn

I'm pretty sure my next gun will be a Keltec P9 or P11,both are 9mm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by pfcslr View Post
    I spent months compairing the various options and came to the MK9. The R9 was too expensive, the Seecamps too expensive and only 380 and lower, LCP cheap but only a 380, and so on. The MK9 and the PM9 have the same foot print; the difference is plastic or stailess frame. I was very pleased with the trigger, it is smooth and light as is the recoil. However if anyone wants to send an R9 I will gladly feed it and keep it safe

Happy hunting!,
    Searn
    My Sig P239 is only a tad larger than the Kahr K9.... so I need smaller, MK9 size or even smaller... that's why I mentioned the R9, though it's expensive, it's the size of .380s and .32s

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links