Defensive Carry banner

Name some TRUE pocket pistols worthy of primary weapon status?

14K views 76 replies 56 participants last post by  tex45acp 
#1 ·
I got my Kel Tec 2 weeks ago, and was impressed over all, especially for the price, BUT I really don't see myself carrying the .32acp pistol as a PRIMARY weapon... every time I look on real world conditions (perp's hands deflecting rounds due to bone, lack of penetration to deep vital organs etc), I personally don't even want to go bellow a 9mm for a primary weapon. A BUG is different in that it's not the first gun at the hands of the defender.

Went to the Gun store, looked on the Glock 26, and EVEN THAT seems to be to large to honestly be called a pocket pistol... looking for something to replace the Sig P239 on days where I have to have my shirt tucked in, and I don't want any noticeable bulges, so a pocket pistol WITH primary weapon status is what I want.

The only thing gun I can think about is the Kahr MK9 (and possibly MK40, if I could handle the recoil.) There is also the Rohrbaugh R-9 (TOO expensive though, at around $1000).

What other quality pocket sized guns in 9mm (and up if possible) are on the market besides the MK9 and R9?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, Kahr makes the PM9, which is smaller than the MK9... Kel-Tec makes a 9mm the same size as the Kahr MK9 (PF-9). Depending on what your pockets look like, there are a plethora of .38/.357 or even .44 snub nosed revolvers, as well as subcompact versions of double stack service pistols - Glock 26/27 that you looked at, Springfield XD9SC, M&P9c come to mind. There are also the slim single stack alloy autos, such as the Springfield EMP and S&W 3913. Both of those are 9mm and can be carried in a large front pocket, but I can't imagine wanting to. You'd be better served carrying those in a tuckable IWB or smart carry, since they're slimmer and won't print as much when tucked. If you are dead set on pocket carry, I would honestly look at the small polymer .380s - Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP come to mind. I carry a P3AT all the time, even when I'm not carrying a gun. :image035:

#6 ·
Smart carry looks to slow to me... if I figured that could do, I would not be thinking about another gun. The G26 is also to large to be considered a true pocket pistol IMHO, if that were in the pocket, it would print to obviously.

#7 ·
Not interested in a .380 any more, must be 9mm to sub as primary weapon at times, J-frames and PPS also to big to me... I held the PPS today, and it looks about the same size as a G26, but a little longer in the grip area though thiner... the Kahr MK9 looks like the best bet thus far.

#10 ·
Lookat the new PPS in 9 or 40, or perhaps a J-frame .357.

#13 ·
You picked them

I spent months compairing the various options and came to the MK9. The R9 was too expensive, the Seecamps too expensive and only 380 and lower, LCP cheap but only a 380, and so on. The MK9 and the PM9 have the same foot print; the difference is plastic or stailess frame. I was very pleased with the trigger, it is smooth and light as is the recoil.:danceban: However if anyone wants to send an R9 I will gladly feed it and keep it safe:image035:

Happy hunting!,
Searn

#15 ·
I spent months compairing the various options and came to the MK9. The R9 was too expensive, the Seecamps too expensive and only 380 and lower, LCP cheap but only a 380, and so on. The MK9 and the PM9 have the same foot print; the difference is plastic or stailess frame. I was very pleased with the trigger, it is smooth and light as is the recoil.:danceban: However if anyone wants to send an R9 I will gladly feed it and keep it safe:image035:

Happy hunting!,
Searn
My Sig P239 is only a tad larger than the Kahr K9.... so I need smaller, MK9 size or even smaller... that's why I mentioned the R9, though it's expensive, it's the size of .380s and .32s

#19 ·
When I say "pocket carry" I mean POCKET carry... PPS, Choped 1911, Glock G26/27, K9 and even a J frame is too large IMHO... why are there not more R9 sized 9mm? Or more MK9 sized guns (in 40cal no less!!!).

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

#21 ·
I don't consider any "pocket pistol" (and very few sub-compacts)worthy of the designation "primary carry pistol." Pocket pistols are for use as BUGs or for times when it's literally the only gun you can conceal without being "made" when in a non-permissive environment (not because you're too lazy to dress around the gun).

#22 ·
I have an R9S and carry it much more frequently than my G36 or my Kimber Pro CDP. With the R9, I don't have to think about what I'm wearing, and if I don't want to give up poket space I just drop in in a High Noon Mr. Softy IWB holster.

Are they expensive? Yes, but you don't have to buy one at retail. Used models typically sell for around $800, but I've heard of used sales much lower than that. You also have to consider that the pistol is hand built to some pretty high standards. Compare the trigger on an R9 to the trigger on an NAA Guardian and you'll see what I mean. My Kimber CDP was more expensive, and the build quality was not as high as that of the Rohrbaugh.

That said, there are some things to know about Rohrbaughs:

1) They're ammo sensitive, as they use an inertial firing pin and are built to some VERY tight tolerances. Use WWB for range ammo and GDHP for carry ammo and you'll be fine. You cannot shoot +P ammo in a Rohrbaugh.

2) They require more maintenance than most guns. The recoil spring (a $4 part) has to be changed about every 150 rounds. For the average R9 owner, this is probably every 3 trips to the range.

3) The R9 is a very "snappy" gun, and not particularly pleasant to shoot. It was not designed as a range gun, it was designed to be the smallest 9mm defensive handgun on the market.

There seems to be two crowds when it comes to Rohrbaughs. People that don't understand the concept and haven't had an opportunity to shoot one tend to think they're overpriced crap, and the internet is filled with misinformation (like 'they're only designed for a 500 round lifespan'). Rohrbaugh owners tend to be rabidly loyal, and if you scope the Rohrbaugh forums you'll find several owners with multiple R9s.

I'm not that fanatical about mine, but if it was stolen I'd be shopping for another one the next day. If you "get" the gun and its design, the limitations don't matter.

#25 · (Edited)
I have Glocks, Kimbers, and S&W's...
If you're looking for a true pocket gun, like a P-3AT, you might look at KelTec's P-11 (9mm).

I have three of the KT's, the .32, the .380, and the P-11...
I like the .380, but you could easily pocket carry the P-11 (if you want the 9mm as a pocket gun).

The S&W 637 also easily tucks in a front pocket...

OMO...

#27 ·
If you have deep pockets like I do, the Glock 26 isn't a bad pocket piece, but weighs about the same as a Ruger SP101, so its not a gun I would carry in a pocket everyday. I only pocket carry when I'm making short trips. If I plan to be out longer than ten minutes I gear up with the holster, belt, and all the other crap I carry.

#31 ·
I got a NIB Kahr MK9 Elite 98... it was noticably smaller than the G26 and not even that much larger than the KT P32 and around the same size as the KT 9mm... it's heavy though but the weight was not as important as the size to caliber ratio.

Size comparisons
http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

#36 ·
But why would the .45 be at home?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.