Thinking of getting a Glock 10mm

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a Glock 10mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been an owner of American made firearms. I am however considering my first Glock pistol and wanted to know anyones experiences with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a Glock 10mm

I have always been an owner of American made firearms. I am however considering my first Glock pistol and wanted to know anyones experiences with a Glock model 20(full frame), or the model 29(sub compact) 10mm. I am normally used to firing 45 ACP's for the last 8 years, and just wanted to see what everyone thought of these guns that has shot one or owns one.

VIP Member
    10mm is a fun caliber. Any chance you can shoot one before you buy it though?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I own a 21 and wished I had bought one years ago. Very accurate and I quit worrying about keeping her spotless like the all steel guns I have owned in the past.
    I have owned a 10mm (s&w) and it was an awesome gun. Get the model 20 and never look back. You'll be glad you did...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I bought a new Glock 29 last month just for the heck of it. Wonderful gun and cartridge. My friend loved mine so much that he bought the other one from the same dealer. Once you go 10mm you can never go back!

Been carrying my G-29 for two years now. Incredible ballistics, power, flat trajectory and FT POUNDS...wahoo.

Very concealable too. Can't beat a Glock for reliability and accuracy either.

Go for it!
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    They are big, but I love mine. It stays in the nightstand for those "bumps" in the night, and I carry it when I am off in the woods.

My father carried one as his duty weapon, and another deputy I know used a G20 as well with success in an incident involving a nut case with an AK.

Good weapon and a good caliber.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

There is somthing very comforting knowing that you have 16 rds of 10MM firepower on your hip!!!!!!!! but for me when I cary my G20 I also cary my G29 and one spare G20 mag so Im ready for anything but the movie shoot out's!!!!

SO yea get one or two a G20 and G29 you will not look back..........

Administrator
    Glock is a heck of a gun, as is the 10mm... I just dont see a point to it for a CCW gun. Other than that, if it floats your boat, have at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I rented and shot a G20 just the other day and I was reminded why I love this caliber so much,I used to own a G20 years ago it was a gen 2 model with out finger groves and light rail. I must say the 3rd gen gun fits me a bit better and the Glock 29 the range has fit just as well and I can get a full grip on it w/o the pinky rest mag extentions.

That being said I believe the Glock to be probably the best choice in a 10mm these days,save for the S&W autos like the 1006 and 1066 those gun were/are built like tanks. I would say either the smiths or Glocks could take a steady diet of full power 10mm no problem. I plan on ordering a Glock 29 probably in the next month or so with night sights the only mods I'll do is probably getting a 22# recoil spring and steel guide rod from DT ammo with my ammo order.

I love the G20 but it is a bit to large for ccw,although it can be done. So if carry is your goal get the G29 you won't be sorry. Last thing is I don't personally believe that the 10mm is "to much" for defensive use. the reason being alot of people here carry 9mm +P and +P+ same with the .38 special and the 357 magnum. Any of these rounds even with modern JHP ammo probably will punch though someone at defensive distances. I only say this as I've had people tell me this is a major factor in them saying a 10mm is overkill for self defensive.

I do feel that there are rounds that are ridiculous for carry use like the 44 magnum 454 cassull and 50 and 500 magnums. Now we're talking 2 legged predators here not the four legged. I personally feel the 10mm to be the best all around handgun cartridge there is,it offers alot of the good qualities a handgun round should and has the ability to deliver a massive punch to a bad guy from a small package.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    the Glock 10mm has a rep as a reliable gun and does not seem to have the unsupported case issue of the G22. My friend uses his for IPSC. They also make good bush guns as the cartridge is capable of dealing with everything but a large Grizzly.

I have shot a friend's Glock 29 (subcompact 10mm) a couple times. To me as a novice, it was not problem to handle and quite accurate. Its part of the reason I got the Glock 27 (same size gun, but .40 cal). I went .40 as 10mm is quite a bit more expensive and your selection is slim. Also, I hear that many 10 mm rounds are not loaded much hotter then .40, so you may have to pick carefully. I only shot cheap range rounds, they may have handled like .40 because they essentially had the same load.

I love the G20 but it is a bit to large for ccw,although it can be done. So if carry is your goal get the G29 you won't be sorry. Last thing is I don't personally believe that the 10mm is "to much" for defensive use. the reason being alot of people here carry 9mm +P and +P+ same with the .38 special and the 357 magnum. Any of these rounds even with modern JHP ammo probably will punch though someone at defensive distances. I only say this as I've had people tell me this is a major factor in them saying a 10mm is overkill for self defensive.

I do feel that there are rounds that are ridiculous for carry use like the 44 magnum 454 cassull and 50 and 500 magnums. Now we're talking 2 legged predators here not the four legged. I personally feel the 10mm to be the best all around handgun cartridge there is,it offers alot of the good qualities a handgun round should and has the ability to deliver a massive punch to a bad guy from a small package.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would like the smaller 29 model. Already have a pocket gun for conceal purposes. Thinking I will like the 20 model better. Not as a conceal, can carry in the vehicle though. I do agree, I always wanted to get a 44 mag or a large caliber, but it is not needed unless you want to act the old wild west days out or like dirty harry. Just wanted to know if the 10 mm recoil is comparable to my 45 ACP or more or less.
    Last edited by TX Husker Fan; June 1st, 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: mark what I was quoting

yes...the recoil is comparable. The 10 has just a bit more, but is comparable.
    If you have ever shot a .40s&w, the .40 has more snap in the recoil over the 10mm.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've shot both, I wound up buying a G29 last fall and carry it as my woods gun. I haven't had the first problem with the gun. If you like the full size frame- they're great. I wanted something smaller.

Note 1. It is an incredible round for performance, ballistics, etc. couple that near .44mag performance in an auto pistol with 15 round mags- Wow.

Note 2. A friend of mine who also carries is a physician. His ER work was in Boston, MA and he dealt with numerous GSW patients. He dealt with most calibers at some point including lots of .22 When the questin about every day carry came around he smirked and showed me his G29- it seems he had saved too many guys from lesser calibers.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Almost bought one at a show last week... I was 30 bux short!
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links