Found a Microchip in my HK USP compact.

This is a discussion on Found a Microchip in my HK USP compact. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this earlier on HKPro but I figured you guys may like to hear about this as well. So I will copy paste over ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Found a Microchip in my HK USP compact.

Lightbulb Found a Microchip in my HK USP compact.

I posted this earlier on HKPro but I figured you guys may like to hear about this as well. So I will copy paste over what I posted.

I was hearing a rattle in my grip but could not see what it was. So as I was removing my hammer spring I saw a micro chip sliding around behind it. Took it out and it fell on to my table. Had no clue what the chip was for so I searched here and saw that it can store round counts and what not.

So the question is: Do I destroy this? Keep it in my HK case? or what. Its obviously not going back in the gun. Considering it broke away cleanly and I am sure not going to glue it back in.

While I was typing this I called HK in Ashburn. Guy told me they have never heard of the chip falling out. Asked if I was TSA or LEO told him I was a civi so there was nothing to worry about with it. Said its blank unless I used a transponder to activate it. They come in Gov ordered guns but apparently some civilians end up with Gov guns. He told me if I wanted to I could send it in to have it reattached and activated. Since I dont care about my round count and everything. He said just to toss it in my HK box and not worry about it.

I just find it funny that I never purchased my gun with the Gov/Mil/LE. I purchased it brand new as well. Here are two more pics. One with the chip sitting in the bottom of the grip behind the lanyard clip. The other showing it out. (Sorry, the second one is blurry, I couldn't find my flashlight to help light up the grip for my camera.

This is a USP compact by the way. AG date code.

For those of you who are not familiar with the USP. The micro chip is covered by a lanyard clip that depresses the hammer spring. Hence, nobody really knows the microchips are there.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would immediately put on my tinfoil hat and destroy the micro-chip. But that is just me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I would immediately put on my tinfoil hat and destroy the micro-chip. But that is just me.
    Well, I wouldn't waste my tinfoil hat, but I would definitely destroy it. After that, I would trade in my gun for a manufacturer that does not put micro-chips in my pistol.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    After that, I would trade in my gun for a manufacturer that does not put micro-chips in my pistol.
    How would you know?

I'm sure the first person found out about HK in this manner, but as of that point it wasn't public knowledge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

looks like an RFID chip. The copper coil is the antenna. Typically, the range is short (couple feet the most with this kind of chip), but can be extended with more powerful equipment.

Typically, these chips contain a serial number.

Throw it in the microwave-----without ammunition of course. That'll sterilize the alien technology that's befallen you. Simple cure, 30 seconds on high.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    looks like an RFID chip. The coper coil is the antenna. Typically, the range is short (couple feet the most with this kind of chip), but can be extended with more powerful equipment.

Typically, these chips contain a serial number.
    They contain more than that. Serial, rack number, shot counter, etc... They are set up so the HK armorer can keep tabs on the gun. The main thing is the fact that a civilian purchased the gun new and ended up with a Gov version handgun.

Sounds fishy to me. Micro chips are made to trace things not count things. I am sure the LEO'S dont need a chip to count for them. :tinhat: I would be very upset if the ATF was pulling this stuff on you. being as the CHIP fell out makes me suspect the ATF for sure.

VIP Member
    You're taking this rather well... I mean, I watched the X-Files!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well, it gives me all the more reason to build a 1911. At least that way I KNOW there are no electronic parts in it.

Now you know why there are black helicopters tailing you,or have you seen them yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Now you know why there are black helicopters tailing you,or have you seen them yet
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Throw it in the microwave-----without ammunition of course. That'll sterilize the alien technology that's befallen you. Simple cure, 30 seconds on high.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    Keep it. Might be useful some day. You may want to send the black helos on a wild goose chase by sticking it to someone's car or something. Also if it is aliens then they get beamed up by the aliens not you. Saves you all that probing we hear about.

As for round count, no LEOs don't need a chip that counts the rounds fired, HK does. That way when the gun comes in for service they have an idea about how much it has been fired. Helps them improve their product. Auto manufacturers have been doing this for a long time. That computer under the hood tells them an awful lot about how you drive etc.

A lot of the RFID stuff is for inventory control. It eliminates the mistakes of a human transposing serial number info etc. We use it all the time where I work and it is great for inventory control. Could it be manipulated by evil government agencies or space aliens? Absolutely it could. I've worked for the government, and I'm not worried. Now space aliens is a whole different story.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Does this really work as a shot counter?

Does it "feel" the recoil or something?

I guess this is for inept government employed armorers who cannot determine the condition of a handgun.

"uh-oh! 5,000 rounds fired - must change spring"
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links