Thoughts on a Rock Island 1911

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a Rock Island 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just saw a Rock Island 1911A1 for just a bit over 250. What do you all think?...

Thread: Thoughts on a Rock Island 1911

Thoughts on a Rock Island 1911

I just saw a Rock Island 1911A1 for just a bit over 250. What do you all think?
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

2. Remove Ads

Wouldn't carry it... might be okay for someone like me who would just range toy with such a gun.

Personally I'd put the 250 towards a cool milsurp or something else unless I was in some kind of weird mood.

I have a RIa in 38 super been flawless..

There little rough tool mark wise but if you want a gun to beat around its a good one

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    I just saw a Rock Island 1911A1 for just a bit over 250. What do you all think?
    I think it's a good price for a basic 1911 copy. I don't own one but have read a lot about them here and there on various forums. Most reviews are good with a few reporting some minor problems. My guess is that you may have to do a little polishing here and there to make it 100% relaible but that is not enough to make me say it's a bad gun. I've had to polish the feed ramp on new Colts before and I have to modify the magazine followers on my new $750 Para P14 to make it work right.

So a little tweaking and polishing on a $250 dollar gun wouldn't scare me away from it.

I seriously looked at one for quite a while before I bought my Springfield, even fired one, maybe two hundred rounds. I liked it. It seemed well enough made, and it worked reliablely for me. Only mark against it I had was the finish, it just wasn't that pretty (some scrathes, roughly cut lines...). Now that I have the Springfield I'm thinking of pcking up a Rock Island, if I can find one for the right price.

A1C Lickey

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Just remember, as with anything else in this world ya get what ya pay for. I would put another $100 with that and look for a slightly used Springer GI.

The RIAs are a real sleeper among entry level 1911s. If I were looking for another 1911 to use for a beater, that would likely be the one. Just like the old Norencos, it can be transformed into a nice piece with aftermarket parts.
    str1

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I know a little about RI from guys at the club. They feel (as I do)that if you pay $250 for a 1911(any 1911) you will be gettin' a $250 gun. With that,hell,go fer it ! -----------

Assistant Administrator
    As a mild 1911 user my gut feeling would be like Euc - not to buy for carry but certainly probably adequate as a fun range gun - and if reliable enough then even OK for IDPA etc.

Sometimes the ''low end'' clones can be gotten up to very presentable performance with just modest tweaks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah, Like P95 said. I'm not sayin'anything negative 'bout it. Slap down $250,another $6-$8 for some of the older,in reasonable condition, mags,and another $100 or so for a case of mil ball and you could have allot of fun. Even IDPA. You don't have to be exceptionally accurate for that. Hell,up in Maine we made our own"IDPA" course of fire out in the woods. Shootin' BG's from behind trees,rocks,even extreme down hill,and from the back of a moving P/U. We did all kinds of crazy courses of fire. For that,the RI would be great fun for not much dough.--------

Links