Trying to decide first handgun purchase - Page 2

Trying to decide first handgun purchase

This is a discussion on Trying to decide first handgun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey mule before you run off to your local store ask your dealer about the springfield XD, or XDM in 9. 40. or 45. same ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide first handgun purchase

hey mule before you run off to your local store ask your dealer about the springfield XD, or XDM in 9. 40. or 45. same feel as the glock same mechanics but twice the gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by officerjack View Post
    hey mule before you run off to your local store ask your dealer about the springfield XD, or XDM in 9. 40. or 45. same feel as the glock same mechanics but twice the gun.
    Only if you are talking about twice the parts, and that will equal twice the headaches eventually.

And no, you cant switch from 40 to 9mm in a G23, unless you go after market, which can be very problematic.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 4th, 2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: put key words in bold so people will read them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Only if you are talking about twice the parts, and that will equal twice the headaches eventually.

And no, you cant switch from 40 to 9mm in a G23, unless you go after market, which can be very problematic.
    I had a G23 with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel. Cost me about $100 or so, plus a couple of G19 mags. Ran like a top at the range with WWB ball ammo. I wouldn't carry the conversion for defense purposes, but at $18.95 for 100 rounds of 9mm vs. $26.95 for 100 rounds of .40 (WWB) at Wally World, a conversion barrel makes a lot of sense for practice at the range.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I am really intrigued by the Para LDA system. I have been put off by price and talk of reliability and price issues. Have you shot an M&P Compact? I like them a lot better than Glocks and good deals are available. Also, Smith is running a deal and giving two additional magazines free for every M&P through the summer.
    Dieu et les Dames

Based on your requirements... I would go for two.
    1. The G30 for a smaller version of your primary. Can they use the same mags? If yes, it is a major bonus.
    2. A j-frame makes a great backup gun or run to the store to get milk gun by putting it in a pocket.

Let us know what you decide.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by edw8ri View Post
    Have you shot an M&P Compact? I like them a lot better than Glocks and good deals are available. Also, Smith is running a deal and giving two additional magazines free for every M&P through the summer.
    It sounds like you're leaning towards the Glock 30 or 36. Be sure to check out the LE discounts Glock offers through selected dealers. Also applies to active and retired military and other first responders.

My son (active Navy) got a brand spankin' new G19 with Trijicon night sights and other extras for well under $500 last month. He called Glock and got the name of a participating FFL in his area.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I duty carry a G23 and have a G27 that I originally purchased for BUG and off-duty. I bought a S&W 442 about a year ago, mainly as a challenge to myself to learn a revolver, since I never owned one. The 442 and I have been inseparable since then.

Buy the Glock for now but plan on trying out a 442/642 since everyone should have one.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Based on your requirements... I would go for two.
    1. The G30 for a smaller version of your primary. Can they use the same mags? If yes, it is a major bonus.
    2. A j-frame makes a great backup gun or run to the store to get milk gun by putting it in a pocket.

Let us know what you decide.
    I've got my mind made up on the G30 for the 1st purchase And yep, the G30 takes the G21 mags, mag will just stick out the bottom but I dont have problem with that for reload purposes. 2nd will probably be a snubbie. Now I just got to wait for the firearms ID, purchase permit to come back. Going on 4 months now... Took less time for my background check when I got hired.

Rmark, I decided on the G30. I handled a G36 and it didnt feel right in my hands(have big hands) I might try it again but with mag. extension in place. That might change my opinion.

SemperFi, thats going to be my next purchase.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I own an airweight.

I say good choice on the Glock. 442s are nice, but 5 shots and no ability to reload quickly under real stress (ie, off the IPSC course) is bad news. I had an encounter which threatened to turn bad with two possibly armed subjects...big guys...and my sole 442 was NOT comforting.

Great BUG in the pocket. Not a good primary.

First

Consider the HK P2000SK in 9 or 40 with a Alessi or Bulman holster.
    Last edited by tabsr; June 5th, 2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: space
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

G30

Good choice on the 30. As others have mentioned in regards to the same operation and magazines from your 21 will fit.

Are you getting the standard 30 or the SF? The SF has a slightly smaller grip.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Just tell me how to conceal it and I'm there.
    get your leg amputated and make that metal tube your peg leg, then you can carry it everywhere it would be like your seeing eye dog

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    get your leg amputated and make that metal tube your peg leg, then you can carry it everywhere it would be like your seeing eye dog
    Hmm, interesting idea. LOL.

NY27, I think I'll stick with the original G30. I don't have a problem with the grip of the G21.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I've got my mind made up on the G30 for the 1st purchase And yep, the G30 takes the G21 mags, mag will just stick out the bottom but I dont have problem with that for reload purposes. 2nd will probably be a snubbie. Now I just got to wait for the firearms ID, purchase permit to come back. Going on 4 months now... Took less time for my background check when I got hired.

Rmark, I decided on the G30. I handled a G36 and it didnt feel right in my hands(have big hands) I might try it again but with mag. extension in place. That might change my opinion.

SemperFi, thats going to be my next purchase.
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

A LEO takes 4 months to get a handgun permit in NJ... WOW Let us know when you buy them.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links