Trying to decide first handgun purchase - Page 3

Trying to decide first handgun purchase

This is a discussion on Trying to decide first handgun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MNBurl, yep, big thumbs-down.2 weeks and it'll be 4 months. Some of the officers in my dept. waited about 6 months for their initial firearms ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide first handgun purchase

MNBurl, yep, big thumbs-down.2 weeks and it'll be 4 months. Some of the officers in my dept. waited about 6 months for their initial firearms id/purchase permit. I'll post once I get my permit and my new weapons. I was trying to get permit before summertime so I have something easier to conceal than a G21.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Hmm, interesting idea. LOL.

NY27, I think I'll stick with the original G30. I don't have a problem with the grip of the G21.
    I have a 30 that actually fits my hand better than my 23. I've been carrying my 27 off-duty since I have plenty of ammo. But tonight I actually swapped out the 27/23 outer body for the 30 outer body on my MTAC IWB. I also switched from standard to "c" clips since I'll be in slacks and a tucked shirt tomorrow. So I'm gonna start carrying my 30 again. I have very long fingers and the thick grip on the 30 feels comfortable to me. I wish that my duty gun was a 21 instead of the 23.

I'll be heading to the gun shop tomorrow to get some Speer GD 230gr.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I have a 30 that actually fits my hand better than my 23. I've been carrying my 27 off-duty since I have plenty of ammo. But tonight I actually swapped out the 27/23 outer body for the 30 outer body on my MTAC IWB. I also switched from standard to "c" clips since I'll be in slacks and a tucked shirt tomorrow. So I'm gonna start carrying my 30 again. I have very long fingers and the thick grip on the 30 feels comfortable to me. I wish that my duty gun was a 21 instead of the 23.

I'll be heading to the gun shop tomorrow to get some Speer GD 230gr.
    I also tried the 23 and the 30 fits my hand better also. I got hired when my duty gun was Sig 229 and the dept was waiting for the G21 to arrive. I went through the academy with the Sig then transitioned to the G21. I like the 21 more than the Sig. Trigger on the Sig was a long pull(DAO) I probably would have liked the Sig more if it was DA/SA. IMHO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

MNBurl, yep, big thumbs-down.2 weeks and it'll be 4 months. Some of the officers in my dept. waited about 6 months for their initial firearms id/purchase permit. I'll post once I get my permit and my new weapons. I was trying to get permit before summertime so I have something easier to conceal than a G21.
    No offense to your home state, but those are the most f'ed up and unconstitutional laws I've ever heard. When are the gun grabbers going to wake up and realize that the bad guys DON'T CARE what the law says?

Wagg, I agree with you that its messed up. NJ isnt my home state, its where I moved to after leaving the Corps.(Orig. from IN, but met my wife when we were both in and she's from NJ). Came here in 2003 after leaving active duty. As the saying goes, if guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns.

The Glock 30 is the absolute logical choice of the ones you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by officerjack View Post
    hey mule before you run off to your local store ask your dealer about the springfield XD, or XDM in 9. 40. or 45. same feel as the glock same mechanics but twice the gun.
    Bad idea IMO it will make him unhappy with his primary carry. Which is after all is an OK gun
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

No worries about that, Long, my primary carry is my duty weapon which I have no say about. If the XD is better than the Glock, I have no problem with it as an off-duty weapon other than my duty mags wont fit.

IMHO
    I advise you getting a Ruger Mark 3 .22LR pistol first. Train on it, shoot copious amounts of bricks through it and then when you get really comfortable step up to a large caliber handgun. This way you can get the finer points of shooting a handgun without developing flinches, trigger jerk, etcetera and being able to correct minor things first. Then you can teach others how to shoot on that .22 handgun and pass along a valuable skill accompanied with safety.

Then get GLOCK :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Consider the HK P2000SK in 9 or 40 with a Alessi or Bulman holster.
    Now, that statement is a man that knows class.

Or here below is one that is a little short of class and maybe cash after he got his pride and joy. Not sure it would cc well, however.

Might consider this HK P30...if you shoot it, you'll want it.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    What's wrong with a Slimline G36 if you stay w/the .45?
    Otherwise maybe a Glock compact or subcompact in a either a 9 or 40?
    I have a .38 S&W 642, which I've been told by a NYC policewoman, is their BUG. I wouldn't be entirely happy if it was my main CCW. Only 5 shots and more recoil than the semis.
    Although the G36 is 6+1 you can always carry an extra mag. Plus you are with the larger cal.
    Just my .02 cents.
    I agree with the G-36 suggestion...I really like mine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    IMHO
    I advise you getting a Ruger Mark 3 .22LR pistol first. Train on it, shoot copious amounts of bricks through it and then when you get really comfortable step up to a large caliber handgun. This way you can get the finer points of shooting a handgun without developing flinches, trigger jerk, etcetera and being able to correct minor things first. Then you can teach others how to shoot on that .22 handgun and pass along a valuable skill accompanied with safety.

Then get GLOCK :)
    Duisberg, thats a good suggestion. I think my title of the thread misled you though. I have a G21 issued by my department. I was going for input on the purchase of an off-duty weapon which would be my first handgun purchase, just not my first handgun. I want something smaller so its easier to conceal.

Imthe,

While certainly effective, I agree that the first weapon you posted wouldn't conceal well.

Ret, I haven't fired the G36 but have handled it. I didn't like the way it fit in my hand. It might be different if I tried with a mag extension though. I do like the fact that I can use the 21's mags in the 30.

whw
    I would buy one of the S&W J frame revolvers in .38 or .357. In addition to being a legit carry gun, you could use it as a backup to your 21. In effect, you could buy a gun that would do double duty.

whw

Whw,
    the j-frame will most likely be my second purchase. I like the G30 for a couple of reasons. I like how it fits my hand and it takes the G21 mags. Plus the handling is similar to my duty weapon.

No worries about that, Long, my primary carry is my duty weapon which I have no say about. If the XD is better than the Glock, I have no problem with it as an off-duty weapon other than my duty mags wont fit.
    I of course think an XD is a far better gun than a Glock which is why I carry an XD.45 compact. Though I do not used to have anything against Glock. Until recently when I learned Glock Arms Iranian Terrorists to Kill US soldiers Based on that I would not have a Glock even if was the best gun ever made which it is not. But than that is just me I have to much respect for our warriors to help anyone that would do them harm. Or otherwise arm our enemies.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links