Trying to decide first handgun purchase - Page 4

Trying to decide first handgun purchase

This is a discussion on Trying to decide first handgun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm an LEO, too, and let me say that I'm impressed by your commitment to carry that gigantic G21 everyday. I wish police were as ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide first handgun purchase

I'm an LEO, too, and let me say that I'm impressed by your commitment to carry that gigantic G21 everyday. I wish police were as committed as civilians to concealed carry, but alas, most arent. I love the .45, but I don't think you necessarily have to have that caliber compatibility with your off-duty gun. If you get into an off-duty incident with no back-up, radio, body-armor, etc., you need lots of BULLETS. Remember the off-duty cop in Denver who stopped the mall shooter with his Kimber? He said he liked the gun, but wished he would've had more bullets. You can't go wrong with a G26, G19, G27, G23, or G30SF.

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    I'm an LEO, too, and let me say that I'm impressed by your commitment to carry that gigantic G21 everyday. I wish police were as committed as civilians to concealed carry, but alas, most arent. I love the .45, but I don't think you necessarily have to have that caliber compatibility with your off-duty gun. If you get into an off-duty incident with no back-up, radio, body-armor, etc., you need lots of BULLETS. Remember the off-duty cop in Denver who stopped the mall shooter with his Kimber? He said he liked the gun, but wished he would've had more bullets. You can't go wrong with a G26, G19, G27, G23, or G30SF.
    XD.45 gives you both 10 + 1 with the compact mag for ease of carry and concealment plus 13 in the spare. With 24 rounds of .45 out the door I never feel under gunned. Plus I kinda like the idea of having the good guy gun not the same gun Iranian extremists or Iraqi terrorists are carrying.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post

Until I get my firearms ID/purchase permit, the G21 is all I have to carry.So I don't have a choice currently. It's either carry the G21 or not carry anything. I'd rather carry. Seen too many of my clients outside of work not to. LOL. Once I get my permit, I plan on getting a G30. I have big hands so the SF isn't important to me. The caliber compatibility isn't a big deal to me, magazine compatibility is though. I like the idea of being able to use my duty weapon magazine. 10+1 in the G30, plus a G21 13 round magazine, for 24 rounds of .45, I don't see that as not having enough bullets. I agree with you that not many LEO'S make it a habit to carry off-duty. I don't understand why most don't carry off-duty as BGs don't care whether you are on or off-duty. Unless you live and work in completely different areas, I don't see a reason not to carry off-duty. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Got my approval letter today for Firearms Id/Purchase Permit. Got to get over to local PD and finish process. Sitting at just over 5 months for the whole process. My initial background check for LE career took less time. Maybe it's a sign of how many people are trying to purchase weapons here in NJ. :LOL: Now it's just a few days before I can get my G30. Then comes the new holster, ammo for practice,etc.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Got my approval letter today for Firearms Id/Purchase Permit. Got to get over to local PD and finish process. Sitting at just over 5 months for the whole process.
    You're an LEO and still have to wait 5 months to buy a gun - man that's just crazy!! I would still get the G30, but just wanted to tell you that as an LEO, you can get a S&W CS45 from the S&W LE Sales Division. It's an awesome sub-compact 45 you might want to check out sometime. If you hit the LE links on S&W's website, you can find details there and dealers in your area. They discontinued the CS45 for the civilian market, but its still in the LE offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    But than that is just me I have to much respect for our warriors to help anyone that would do them harm. Or otherwise arm our enemies...

...Plus I kinda like the idea of having the good guy gun not the same gun Iranian extremists or Iraqi terrorists are carrying.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

so this is my first acutal post here, even though i have been watching it for months. after shooting many different guns, i just purchesed a glock 27 today for a primary CCW. i havent been happier with the choice. i would recommend a glock to anyone looking to CC.

my stepson had the same situation. He was issued the G 21 and I suggested he stay with a Glock for off duty, same caliber makes things easy as can share mags and ammo, nothing new to learn to handle. He has a G 30 now.

Got my approval letter today for Firearms Id/Purchase Permit. Got to get over to local PD and finish process. Sitting at just over 5 months for the whole process. My initial background check for LE career took less time. Maybe it's a sign of how many people are trying to purchase weapons here in NJ. :LOL: Now it's just a few days before I can get my G30. Then comes the new holster, ammo for practice,etc.
    Man I thought our laws sucked. With a permit you have to fill out a stack of paper work for about ten minutes before you can walk out the door with your new loaded gun.
    Without a permit you have to wait five days.
    Takes a 5 to 30 days to get a permit but than at least you can walk out of the store with any gun you can buy after the ten minute hassle. Suppose WA is not all that bad but still way out of line. All that should be required is to buy and carry is proof of citizenship.

BTW there are gun manufactures that do not arm our enemies and terrorists, see link below. At least I know none of my brothers will be coming home with a bullet from an XD in him
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I would think that a LEO application would get top priority!
    WOW, I'm glad I live in Florida!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmargotta View Post
    I would think that a LEO application would get top priority!
    The wait was probably due to the issuance of a NJ Firearms ID card which requires a background check by the NJSP Firearms Unit, who are backlogged. A permit to purchase a handgun is approved by the Police Chief in the town which you reside. My permits to purchase clear within a week.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    The wait was probably due to the issuance of a NJ Firearms ID card which requires a background check by the NJSP Firearms Unit, who are backlogged. A permit to purchase a handgun is approved by the Police Chief in the town which you reside. My permits to purchase clear within a week.
    Yep, applied for first firearms ID along with purchase permits at same time. I will see how long my future purchase permits take to clear.

The original post was by an LEO looking for an off-duty weapon. I say this because I will shock some with my answer. I have posted before that I am a huge fan of wheelguns and have a S&W 640 and 642 for EDC. I also have a Glock 23 which I don't EDC. Nothing against Glock, just prefer reliability of revolver. That said, I have to agree with all that a smaller Glock is answer for this LEO. As a civilian, I will try to hide or run first and if assaulted, it will in all liklihood be by single assailant. Ergo, 5 shots are enough. As a LEO, our off duty officer could very well be called to assist another officer. Result, Gang shootout, OK Corral stuff! 5 shots is just enough to get identified as a new target! Go for the Glock!

Which one depends on how you dress off duty and how big you are. I am a little man and dress casually, so my Glock 23 is still too big for EDC, except in winter. You may be different and could conceal Glock 23 (wonderful gun!) easily. Pick the one that fits.

As far as sticking to department caliber, I find smaller guns need different load than service guns anyway. My Glock 22 did not favor same ammo my Glock 23 does. Same goes with my .38s, 686 likes different ammo than 64xs do. Chances are good that you would have to use different load that your service Glock anyhoo!
    Last edited by wjh2657; August 1st, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Wrong model number

Wjh, if I'm off-duty, I would assist any officer that I see is in trouble. That said, assisting out of uniform could cause me to be a victim of "friendly" fire as the other responding officers MIGHT not see the badge around my neck because of tunnel vision. As far as weapon size goes, I'm not concerned about that. I have been CC'ing a G21 and AFAIK, only been made once, when I was vehicle shopping. Got made by a former Fed, when I sat down. Wasn't planning on sitting down that day, just ended up getting a good deal on the vehicle, so my cover shirt was chosen in the belief I would just be walking around the car lot.

Mulle46
    I should have stated that I am a civilian and not a LEO. Civil law (Case Law) pretty much prohibits a civilian from jumping up and joining in a running gunfight, LEOs or not.
    Sat on juries and seen this one turn into"give up the gun, give up the house, give up the kids' college fund" type of judgements for the civilian shooter.
    The Grand Jury or criminal court will in all likelihood call a righteous shoot, but civil is a whole different matter.
    My experience has been, if you or momma are not in imminent danger of life and limb, you are going to lose the case in court if you shoot. The fact that you assisted an LEO will work against you as the other side's lawyer will stack the jury (his right and privilege) with people who just plain don't like cops! Sorry state of affairs, but something civilians have to face every day if they are going to carry, the law is against you unless it is clear self defense.
    What few "Good Samaritan" laws there are cover only criminal court proceedings (U.S. Supreme Court decisions) and not the right of the victim or his family to sue you. TN has a law stating that you can't be sued for shooting a felon in the act. Law has been thrown out at every civil trial because of U.S. Supreme Court decisions on right of redress suppression.

We civilians have the right to defend ourselves not others (case law.)

BTW , it reads MGysgt on my grey ID Card (30 years+) and everything I've just said runs against the grain to me as a Marine. But, I still have to obey the law!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links