Trying to decide first handgun purchase

This is a discussion on Trying to decide first handgun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wjh, thank you for your service. I was in for 5 years, left as a sergeant. That said, even if I was civilian and not ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Trying to decide first handgun purchase

Wjh, thank you for your service. I was in for 5 years, left as a sergeant. That said, even if I was civilian and not a LEO, I would still help as much as I could any officer or person that I observed to be in trouble. I don't think I could live with myself if I didnt help and someone died or was seriously hurt as a result, regardless of any civil court consequences. That's just me. Your attorney has pre-emptory challenges in civil cases also to select a fair jury, in addition to the challenges the judge has.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Update, went to my local gun shop and handled both the S&W snubs and the Ruger sp-101. Im leaning towards the Sp-101. Felt MUCH better in my hands. So Im thinking G30 and Ruger Sp-101 for my first 2 off-duty handguns. Just got to get the wife to agree.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Sig P220R
    I was going to say it, but it's already been said. Imagine that. +1 on the SIG P220!

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I am trying to decide my first handgun purchase. First off, I am a LEO who was issued the Glock 21 as a duty weapon. . . . My dept. kind of discourages SAO weapons or I would get a "true" 1911) Anyone have experience with those weapons listed? Any opinion is appreciated.
    When considering the you were issued a Glock, I don't understand the department discouraging SAO. It seems to me the that Glock is about as SAO as you can get (Meaning that you cannot cock the weapon without operating the slide). Thus, it seems that they would prefer the DA/SA pistols such as Sig, Ruger, FNH, etc. ????

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    When considering the you were issued a Glock, I don't understand the department discouraging SAO. It seems to me the that Glock is about as SAO as you can get (Meaning that you cannot cock the weapon without operating the slide). Thus, it seems that they would prefer the DA/SA pistols such as Sig, Ruger, FNH, etc. ????
    Thats what multiple members of of my dept's firearms unit have expressed to me. I see your point about the Glock. I think they dont want people carrying cocked and locked weapons, even though they are as safe or safer than the Glock. Before we were issued the Glock, we had the Sig 229 DAO.

If you do the G21 then, the G30 is a "natural".

I changed my first purchase. Rather than the G30, I bought the SP-101 .357 mag for off-duty carry. I couldn't believe the difference in the carrying of the glock versus the .38.

Lightbulb Funny thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I changed my first purchase. Rather than the G30, I bought the SP-101 .357 mag for off-duty carry. I couldn't believe the difference in the carrying of the glock versus the .38.
    I just recently sold a DAO Ruger SP101 357. Although I was raised on revolvers, these days I can't seem to hit the ground if I jumped out a window with one, unless it's a point shoot within 15 feet.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this phenomenon. Almost all my friends who are still in the military and especially those in special operations have expressed similar revolver shooting results. My revolver training seems to be DEvolving!

MY ABilities with any of my semi autos however, remain strong. I used to own a Glock M21 but found that was just too big for me to ccw so I traded it for a Model 30 and that was wonderful for awhile, but for my smallish hands, it still felt like a piece of 4x4 wood. So I traded that for a M27 and kept that for about 12 years. I only sold it to consolidate my ammunition stores and to gather some moola for my training trip out to BLACKWATER next spring.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links