Trying to decide first handgun purchase

This is a discussion on Trying to decide first handgun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide my first handgun purchase. First off, I am a LEO who was issued the Glock 21 as a duty weapon. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide first handgun purchase

Trying to decide first handgun purchase

I am trying to decide my first handgun purchase. First off, I am a LEO who was issued the Glock 21 as a duty weapon. I only have that as an off-duty weapon(I carry that around 98% of the time off-duty in a Desantis OWB/IWB holster). I'm pretty much stuck between the G30, the para-ord LDA weapons, or a .38 or .357 revolver. (My dept. kind of discourages SAO weapons or I would get a "true" 1911) Anyone have experience with those weapons listed? Any opinion is appreciated.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

What's wrong with a Slimline G36 if you stay w/the .45?
    Otherwise maybe a Glock compact or subcompact in a either a 9 or 40?
    I have a .38 S&W 642, which I've been told by a NYC policewoman, is their BUG. I wouldn't be entirely happy if it was my main CCW. Only 5 shots and more recoil than the semis.
    Although the G36 is 6+1 you can always carry an extra mag. Plus you are with the larger cal.
    Just my .02 cents.

I have pretty big hands so the G36 isn't comfortable in my hands. (tried it). As far as 9mm or .40 cal goes, I would rather choose my caliber than have it forced on me. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    mulle46, considering your line of work, it makes perfect sense to me to get the Glock 30. It has the exact same controls, feel, trigger, and for that matter caliber. You are already familiar with the manual of arms for that style of pistol.

If your dept. allows back up gun carry, you could fill that role with the 30 as well. I can definitely see the benefit in carrying a back up gun that can utilize your primary's duty mags. If for some reason your duty pistol went out of commission, you can employ the back up and still have available reloads without having to pack more magazines.

I like the LDA trigger in the Paras and I think that snubbies are excellent concealed carry weapons, but the Glock seems to be the overwhelming choice for the above reasons (not to mention the increase in capacity). Still, the decision is your so you have to go with what makes the most sense to you. Good luck!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Since you're already used to the .45, the Glock 30 would be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd go with a Glock 19 (slightly slimmer, cheaper ammo, and higher capacity).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    No question in my mind, go with the Glock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    No shortage of guys that like the Glock

Sounds like a good idea to stay with a Glock... I would think the Glock 36 would be a great addition since you can stick to the .45 and you have know the Glock's safety and trigger pull.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    glock 23

Sig P220R

Bazooka
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I love Glock's, but I'm kind of partial to the Para-Ord LDA.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

+1 on the Glock 23.
    Nice compact firearm, good capacity and your already use to Glocks. I also think the Glock23 allow you to change the barrel from .40 to 9mm.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Bazooka
    Just tell me how to conceal it and I'm there.

Thanks for all the replies. I think my first purchase will be the Glock 30. Another plus I considered is that I can use the same holster for both as long as its open muzzle. It wont be my last purchase, as someone's signature says, "my wife says a man only needs two guns, a long one and a short one: boy is she wrong" LOL. Plus, I think my wife is getting close to applying for her CCW. Gotta have more options then so I have something to carry.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links