Colt vs. Springfield 1911

This is a discussion on Colt vs. Springfield 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which would you recommend if you were buying a 1911, Colt or Springfield Armory? Is one better than the other, more reliable, more accurate, etc, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt vs. Springfield 1911

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

Colt vs. Springfield 1911

Which would you recommend if you were buying a 1911, Colt or Springfield Armory? Is one better than the other, more reliable, more accurate, etc, etc, etc???????

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    Given the choice I'd probably get the SA. I think you are going to get better service and a very good weapon.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Colt has always struck me as the Cadillac of 1911s while Springfield seems like the Chevrolet.

I can't deny that Cadillacs are what I would have if I could afford it. I can't deny they're just better and nicer and fancier. I can't deny they're a social symbol and a lot of the price is paying for the image, brand name, and red carpet treatment and not so much the product itself. I'd have to have a lot of money before I ever considered buying one though, because I'd be afraid to damage it in any way because they're expensive to keep up. And while they do what they do very well, they just don't make some things that I have interest in. That's how I see Colt.

Now Chevrolet on the other hand makes a variety of products I find more pragmatic and affordable. Sure no one's going to be impressed you drive a Chevrolet, but I quite like the nameplate. Granted Chevy makes a lot of real high end things I can't afford, but I feel better knowing that my truck and the expensive truck are built by the same people on the same chassis. A new Chevrolet is not an investment I take lightly, but it's realistic and I can afford it. I can put a little ding in my Chevrolet and not have a heart attack over it either. That's how I see Springfield.

Senior Moderator
    The Colt generally has better resale value if you ever decide to sell it.

I love my Springfield. Next to no problems, and most of them are ammo related. (I have one magazine it's a little finicky with.) The way I see it for a Colt, you're paying for the name. Realistically, I'd probably be afraid to tinker with a Colt. I love playing with my Springfield. The Colt will probably have a higher resale value, but from what I've heard Springfield customer support is top notch. Just my two cents.

A1C Lickey

I have a Springfield and couldn't be happier with it. It's the low end model - but is still a good performer despite no bells or whistles. My Dad has a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup and it's a great shooter. If you can find an old Series 70 I would definitely take it.

My favorite 1911 so far is my grandfather's. Made in 1914 - based on the serial number. It rattles when you shake it and won't win any accuracy matches, but is a blast to shoot.

It looks like I might go with the Springfield. I like the Micro Compact and the Ultre Compact. What are your thoughts on these two contenders?

The micro is a fussy weapon. I've seen the same gun come back to the store 3 times within a year.
    Colts usually don't return, unless the customer is trtading up to another Colt.
    I've had the Ultra Compact V10 and it was a great shooter.
    Have the Colt Defender as well, and it works flawlessly.
    How bout a Kimber Ultra CDP? Just a thought on my part

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have a SA Mill-Spec, and have only had one problem(spring related) in over 3,000 rounds. I just ordered a Colt XSE Commander, and I will let yau'll know what I think about it when I get it.

I agree with Euc's statement about SA being Chevy and Colt being Caddy, couldn't be truer. I ordered a Colt this time just for the name and the prancing pony.

Senior Moderator
    Ive got a XSE Commander instainless and I love it. Its one of my main carry guns.

At the moment I own a Thompson,Norinco,Springfield Government and the Colt.It seems like I'm always grabbing the Colt first,even when I bring them all to the range together. When Ive got them all layed out on the bench it seems as everyone is more interested in the Colt than any other.

I like the Springfield guns and have owned several and never had an issue with them.They are good guns.

I looked at a bunch befoer I decided on the Colt. The upper end models were within the same price range as the XSE, so I figured I may as well get the one with the best reasale value, and although I have no plans to ever sell it, one can never tell what the future holds.

Really, you cant go wrong with etheir one.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    How bout a Kimber Ultra CDP? Just a thought on my part
    Just looked at a Kimber Ultra CDP, the only problem is I'm left handed and need ambi safety. The Kimber didn't have it. Any other suggestions?

OD*
    I liked my Springer GI well enough but, it is not, nor will it ever be a Colt.

I don't buy into the "you're only buying a name" tripe, you're paying for an American made weapon with American labor and United Auto Workers wages and a majority of forged & machined bar stock parts.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    HPH, Your wrong ref. the Kimbers sir. All the CDP's have ambi safety's. (I have a Ultra CDP II) Also I would
    highly reccommend a Kimber WITH the INTERNAL EXTRACTOR.------- I don't own a SA but I do own several Colts. If my only two choices were the SA and Colt,I would go with the Colt.-----

My mistake then, I looked at a couple of 1911 platforms this morning and one had ambi saftey and the other didn't. Must have gotten them confused. I stand corrected.

Administrator

Colt Made By Colt

If you can afford the extra dollars to buy the Colt then buy the Colt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links