Defensive Carry banner

Colt Commander range report

6K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Team American 
#1 ·

My newest purchase...picked it up last Thursday from the consignment display at Green Mountain Guns. Stainless Colt XSE Combat Commander in 99% condition...previous owner had some enhancement work performed at the Colt custom shop, mostly trigger work I suspect.

Took it to the range yesterday, and ran 150 rounds through it...100 rounds of Brand X hardball and 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger.
It fed the hardball without a hitch...had a few feed failures with the Ranger, however. I could see a shiny spot at the very top of the feed ramp that seemed to be grabbing the nose of the hollow-point....I suspect a little bit of polishing with the dremel tool should help.

The photo shows 50 rounds of hardball at 25 feet...I need to make a small adjustment to the rear sight, and looks like she's ready to go!
I need to order a BladeTech IWB holster for it, and start some practice for my new summer-time carry piece :biggrin:

See less See more
#28 ·
My Springer Mil-spec came with no lip in there and was totaly polished. when I got my Springer GI it was rough and had the lip, so I blended it, I was under the assumption that since my mil-spec came like that, I should do that to the GI also. Both seem to feed anything and work 100% of the time, ahh well you learn something new everyday (thats why were here I guess) :smile:

#30 ·
OD said:
That is interesting Bruce, I've never seen one work reliably without it. You do you learn something new everyday.
I have a little over 3,000 rounds through my Mil-spec and never a problem till a FTRTB, I installed a wolf 16lb spring and never a problem since. The GI had about 850 through it, then I sold it to get the rest of the funds for the XSE. Teh only ammo I ever had problems with were some JRN reloads that my friend had from somewhere.

#31 ·
Interesting

Just my opinion on this but if a Colt or Colt clone pistol has trouble feeding some brands of ammo due to the bullet nose configuration...then probably the safest thing to do might be to copy a bit of the "dimple" that is used on the newer Colt barrel throats & that (in combination with a lightly polished ramp) should allow the cartridge nose to drop a little lower on entry during feeding cycle.

#32 · (Edited)
This morning I polished the barrel throat and frame feedramp with a felt nosed dremel fitting and emery paste...got a nice mirror look to them.
Went to the shooting range and put 50 rounds of Winchester Lawman hollowpoints through it, and had zero feed problems. Will try more hollowpoints and hope that the feed problem is solved.

Yippeee! :smile:

#33 ·
While you have the Dremel out

Ya might also want to do a very light polish of the breech face.
If it's already smooth then don't bother doing anything to it.
The easier the tail end of the cartridge rides up against the breech face...the easier the round will chamber.

#35 ·
QKShooter said:
Ya might also want to do a very light polish of the breech face.
If it's already smooth then don't bother doing anything to it.
The easier the tail end of the cartridge rides up against the breech face...the easier the round will chamber.
Good tip, QK. I will look at it tomorow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.