SA 1911, which model? - Page 2

SA 1911, which model?

This is a discussion on SA 1911, which model? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the stainless loaded champion is a beautiful gun...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA 1911, which model?

the stainless loaded champion is a beautiful gun

The more I look, the more confused I become... and the more $$$ I am tempted to let myself spend. Been thinking this, since I seen the other day!

If you liked the Springfield EMP and its styling and looks.... take a look at an almost identical look... from grips to size.. the Kimber Ultra Carry CDP 45 cal. in your choice of barrel lengths.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    The more I look, the more confused I become... and the more $$$ I am tempted to let myself spend. Been thinking this, since I seen the other day!

Man, I'd give a certain (L) part of my body to own that one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalstate View Post
    If you liked the Springfield EMP and its styling and looks.... take a look at an almost identical look... from grips to size.. the Kimber Ultra Carry CDP 45 cal. in your choice of barrel lengths.
    Kimbers are nice looking as well, I will admit. Mainly looking for a better 1911 to shoot, might carry on occasion as the EMP fits that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Man, I'd give a certain (L) part of my body to own that one!
    Looking for the best price on this one. So far, the lowest price I have found is at sportingarms.com . They have some competitive prices.

Do you all think it would be worth the extra $, to jump to the Wilson Combact Protector in Stainless? I know they cost more, but getting machinery enough to justify the cost ($2200 or so).

I was decided on a springfield loaded champion, but was disappointed by the poor SS finish. The only other options are 2 lightweight models and a black/OD model. What ever happened to good old matte black?

Now I'm considering the loaded full size parkerized.

I have two Springfield's and they've been great pistols. I have a 5" SS Loaded with target sights and a LW Champion (4"). The 5" was my first 1911. Their customer service is second to none and the lifetime warranty goes with the pistol. My 5" will shoot 1" groups at 15 yards from a bench.

I mainly use these to shoot plates and target shoot. Though I can shoot better groups with the 5", I prefer the LW Champion. It just "feels" better to me and is quicker out of the holster and on target for me. I need to get better sights on the Cahmpion, though. The recoil is a bit more with the LW Champion.

As I bought a CZ Compact 9mm to shoot plates (so my lead supply would last longer) and I just ordered a Kahr CW9 this am, I'm probably going to sell the 5" to keep the wife happy. I'll see what her reaction is this am when I tell her I bought the Kahr

Cloudpeak

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I like my two "Loaded" models (Micro in green, Full sized in parkerized). The full sized has become a dedicated car gun.

If you want a Springer and like the checkering, go for the TRP.

But, if your budget allows, get into the semi custom range (the Baer, the Wilson, an Ed Brown), you will not regret it!

I have a Wilson Combat CQB, and it is my favorite pistol. Carried the most. Shot the most. A true joy to own.

Last item, Springfield Armory does produce something in the league of the Baer's, Wilson's and Brown's. It's the TRP Professional. It is the FBI contract pistol. They retail somewhere above $2000 and are as good as the others or so I've been told by folks that know.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Does it absolutely have to be a 1911 model?? I know I'm wanting the Taurus PT1911 pretty bad, and I like SA carry from back in my days of owning the 1911, but I currently have a good SA in 45acp and the best shooting 45 I've had including the 1911 models. Sig P220 SAO.
    I too prefer the P220's to 1911's. I own the Equinox variant but want one in SAO.

If you can't decide between Black and Stainless.... get the Black Stainless (Loaded combat Black Stainless here)

Isn't it how your mind changes when looking at pistols. If only there were enough money to buy one of each. My mind meandered as well, I was thinking the Springfield TRP but thought a similar model could be had for less, but still somewhat similar.

Then I thought about a Les Baer TRS, and priced them. UNTIL I read about their bad customer service.

Then was looking at Wilson Combat CBQ's, but if spending that kind of money want something stainless, or hard chrome. I mean, I don't combat on the streets with a 45, and a stainless shoots the same. Then I thought about getting the Wilson Combat Protector. Notice here how the TRP was too much ($13-1400), and today purchased and should be receiving on Thursday an ED BROWN KOBRA.

Sample, not mine. YET! Wonder how I'll shoot?

Wow hinkleid, that was quite a progression! I was going to recommend Les Baer and Ed Brown, in that order. The kobra is a very nice pistol and you'll get years of pleasure and service out of it.

Digression: The whole, "Les Baer Customer Service stinks" thing is urban myth and internet poppycock. For every bleeding heart on the www who gripes and complains, over and over, board upon board, ad infinitum, there are 10,000 happy campers out here. Les Baer has the lowest ratio of returns for warranty service of any semi-custom house. Everyone I personally know who's sent a gun back to Les, for whatever reason, has been happy, satisfied and well treated.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post

Now your just teasing us!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Wow hinkleid, that was quite a progression! I was going to recommend Les Baer and Ed Brown, in that order. The kobra is a very nice pistol and you'll get years of pleasure and service out of it.

Digression: The whole, "Les Baer Customer Service stinks" thing is urban myth and internet poppycock. For every bleeding heart on the www who gripes and complains, over and over, board upon board, ad infinitum, there are 10,000 happy campers out here. Les Baer has the lowest ratio of returns for warranty service of any semi-custom house. Everyone I personally know who's sent a gun back to Les, for whatever reason, has been happy, satisfied and well treated.
    The EB Kobra was not a whole lot more than I was looking to spend for a Les Baer TRS. The best price I could find was John at Proload, but I also live in ID (sales tax of 6% I'd pay as well on $1700-$102). In addition he wanted a 3% surcharge for paying him with a credit card - $51). (Sorry, but I do not pay anyone for anything upfront with a check in today's world). Then I think he wanted $70 to ship. That is $223 in extra charges to get in hand, plus $10 to my dealer here.

Found a dealer to sell the EB with no CC fee and $60 for Next Day Air . No BS credit card fees, nor sales tax. So for a little more I got the EB Kobra.

Not sure why all these gun dealers charge a surcharge to make a purchase. Not many other businesses do that. It is a violation of a merchant account to charge extra for accepting credit cards, but they sidestep it by quoting a "cash discount price", rather than tacking on a fee. WalMart doesn't tack on 3% when I buy groceries each week. I find that gouging, so decided against doing business with Proload, or many others I found. My father owns a business, takes credit cards, and writes off the cost on taxes.

As far as the Les Baer. I admit they are probably excellent guns as they have that reputation. I just do not like reading the few that have had problems and dealt with their customer service. Most had to PAY shipping to get repair work done. I know this may be a very slight percentage, but my feeling is if I am dropping $2K on one of your guns when I can buy a High Point (still shoots) at the local store for $100, someone better by kissing my rear if I have a problem.

I think the main guys here, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk offer a similar product with similar quality it is the customer service that counts. Plus with the Baer, had to pay an extra $225, whereas the EB costed me $60 so more invested toward the product.

Hopefully, if I ever need service on the Kobra then hopefully EB may be great with service. Hopefully it is a non-issue.
    Last edited by JD; June 12th, 2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Edited language work-a-round.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links