SA 1911, which model?

SA 1911, which model?

This is a discussion on SA 1911, which model? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received the SA EMP model this morning. Excellent craftsmanship. Hope to shoot soon, but as my luck goes the day turned into a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA 1911, which model?

SA 1911, which model?

I just received the SA EMP model this morning. Excellent craftsmanship. Hope to shoot soon, but as my luck goes the day turned into a downpour.

Thinking of going with a "big brother" in .45 to the EMP (used for carry). Started looking at Springfield's 1911's and was as bad as going to the truck dealership!

Looking for a target shooting, truck defense, home defense type. I have the XD in .45, just havent warmed up to it. Not sure why.

I was looking at a TRP model locally in stainless (wanted almost $1450) and see there are better net prices. Is this just an overpriced SA 1911? Worth the price, or better off going with the lower priced models. I don't want to pay more because it is called TRP.

Also been looking online at the Les Baers. Need to find a dealer locally if one can be found.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Try John at Proload.com for a Baer. I think he is located in Idaho. Having said that, the SA TRP is a fine 1911, and about $400 to $500 less expensive.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Have a total of $600.00 in my 94 vintage SA Champion. The gun is very accurate, extremely reliable with all ammo and a breeze to carry in my TT Gunleather IWB. Believe you'll pay a little more for the loaded model but do believe you will be very satisfied with it.
    Trust it to protect my family and I with no problem as long as I do my part. JMO

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec. It's just like the GI model except it has nicer (3-dot) sights, a beveled mag well, and a few other subilties. You can find them right around $500 if you keep your eyes open.
    They're great shooting pistols, and are very upgradable.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Does it absolutely have to be a 1911 model?? I know I'm wanting the Taurus PT1911 pretty bad, and I like SA carry from back in my days of owning the 1911, but I currently have a good SA in 45acp and the best shooting 45 I've had including the 1911 models. Sig P220 SAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Does it absolutely have to be a 1911 model?? I know I'm wanting the Taurus PT1911 pretty bad, and I like SA carry from back in my days of owning the 1911, but I currently have a good SA in 45acp and the best shooting 45 I've had including the 1911 models. Sig P220 SAO.
    My P220 (DA/SA version) is laser accurate... really want to shoot this thing at 50 yards, should be fun

I saw some colt 1911s over at the gun store today, one was a 38super in chrome, nice...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

like them .45"s

shot a springfield and a ria .45 both were impressive but the feel of a .45 in the hand,ive been used to my plastic pistols,i had a cheap federal ordance.45 years ago but man that springfield was nice.

JD
    Administrator
    I think the TRP is a good gun for the money, you get alot of nice features, had I not found my Les Baer TRS at the price I did, I was going to go the TRP route.

If you don't want the checkering or magwell, which adds to the TRP's price, I'd suggest the 5" loaded model from Springfield, it has some of the more necessary (pending on opinions) features that make a user friendly 1911, it has better sights, it has a beaver tail, and has an ambi safety (I could care less about the ambi) but do prefer an elongated thumb safety.

My first "real" 1911 was an older 5" loaded model, and the thing just flat out shoots and is smoother than glass on glass.

If you can afford the average price of $1200-$1400 for a TRP, get the TRP, if cost is an issue, go with the Loaded.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    Also been looking online at the Les Baers. Need to find a dealer locally if one can be found.
    Buy the Baer, and I second John @ Pro Load Distributors.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have the MC Operator and it is a bit less than the TRP. It has a rail if you ever need one. I really can't imagine a nicer shooting gun than the one I have so I have never pondered getting a TRP.

PM me if you want more detailed info.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I just got my first SA 1911-A1 Government model. I've changed the trigger and made some new stocks, a bit heavier than factory to accommodate my big mitt.

IMG_1184 (Medium).jpg IMG_1181 (Medium).jpg

I have the SA Lightweight Compact model 45ACP. I really like it but I don't think SA makes it any more. Has been 100% reliable and accurate.Really like the Novak night sights on it .
    Para82

VIP Member
    It's very hard to beat a Springfield 1911!

I prefer the "Commander" sized 1911's so opted for a Loaded Champion.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carry a MIL-SPEC and my only regret is that I didn't get the stainless one.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

OD*
    Well, iffin' we're showin' pictures

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links