Range report on KT P32 and Kahr MK9 and question on breaking period

Range report on KT P32 and Kahr MK9 and question on breaking period

This is a discussion on Range report on KT P32 and Kahr MK9 and question on breaking period within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read the manuals of both the P32 and MK9, and I notice that both companies mention "break in period" (200 rounds both of them ...

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Range report on KT P32 and Kahr MK9 and question on breaking period

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660

    Range report on KT P32 and Kahr MK9 and question on breaking period

    I read the manuals of both the P32 and MK9, and I notice that both companies mention "break in period" (200 rounds both of them claimed.)

    First, for the Kahr MK9 Elite 98, I fired 50 rounds of Remington UMC/100 rounds WWB and around 30 rounds of Federal HS... I had 3FTE (with 2 FMJ rounds and 1Federal HS), and in one case, the slide held open though one round was left in the mag (first time that ever happened to me with a handgun.)

    Could limp wristing cause the FTE? In 2 of those cases, the shell case was parallel to the slide, 1/2 way outside (not perpendicular)...

    How about the other malfunction where the slide was held back though one more round was left in the magazine, what could cause this?


    I am going to put another 150 rounds or so through the Kahr to see if it improved. Very accurate gun though, no questions about that and the trigger is nice and smooth... it had more recoil that my Sig P239 though, I figure it's because of the shortened grip, I don't have a full grip unless I use to 7 round mag.

    Also my Kel Tec, (fired 125 rounds today of WWB and Federial FMJ and 50 rounds 2 weeks ago of magtec) has had less issues than the Kahr... the ONLY issue I had was the fact that the slide was not held back after the last shot was fired (happened just once thus far), other than that, no malfunctions... typical distance I shoot it at is 9 feet at a human shaped target, I am practicing to get head shots and could easily put 5 out of 7 rounds onto the middle forehead area... the 32acp is a real close range type affair.


    The whole idea about "break in periods" is alien to me, IMHO, there should be no such thing when it comes to a life saving instrument... there is no such word as "break in period" in my Sig Sauer manuals, so why should Kahr have it there? I could understand the Kel Tec since it's less than 1/2 the cost of the Kahrs... but so far the Kel Tec has been more reliable than the Kahr :( and this scares me because the Kahr is not cheap and the materials are actually high quality.

    Any one here ever had a similar experience with the MK9? Will go back to range some days from now, but if nothing improves, I am going to trade it in or sell it to purchase another gun.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/


  2. #2
    Member Array Piglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Here and There
    Posts
    113
    The whole idea about "break in periods" is alien to me, IMHO, there should be no such thing when it comes to a life saving instrument... there is no such word as "break in period" in my Sig Sauer manuals, so why should Kahr have it there? I could understand the Kel Tec since it's less than 1/2 the cost of the Kahrs... but so far the Kel Tec has been more reliable than the Kahr :( and this scares me...
    It shouldn't. Kahr, as you already mentioned, specifically recommends (actually, they don't "recommend" it - they mandate it if the gun is to be considered reliable for defensive use) a break-in period of 200 rounds. Given that you've fired less than the number of rounds that the manufacturer of the gun instructs you to fire, no conclusions about the reliability of the piece can be drawn. You simply have to steel yourself and put those 200 rounds through it. Then, and only then, if malfunctions continue, you can take the issue up with Kahr. Logically, you should only become apprehensive if the gun is doing something that the manufacturer doesn't expect it to do.

    On a gut level, I do sympathize with your concern, though. No matter what the gun's manual says, it isn't very reassuring to witness any kind of failures in a gun that one intends to trust with one's life. But on both this forum and in many other places, I have read numerous accounts from new Kahr owners whose guns underwent a variety of malfunctions during those first several hundred rounds, only to become rock-solid reliable thereafter. It seems that, for whatever reason, Kahr really does mean it when it specifies that break-in period.

    My Kahrs (K40, K9) were purchased used, and have been reliable from the get-go, so I can't offer any first-hand experience.

    Have faith, and keep putting those rounds through it.

    Edit: I just noticed something. You say the gun is an MK9 Elite 98? Is the gun new in box? I only ask because, though I'm not an expert on all the Kahr variations, I thought the Elite 98s were old guns, and were replaced by the Elite 03 models. So did you get a NIB gun that has just been hanging around somewhere for a long time?

    I was curious, because, if the gun happens to be well used, something else you may want to look at is replacing the recoil spring. When I got my used K40, it was accompanied by a sticker somewhere on the manual, or a plastic bag or somewhere, that advised replacing the spring after 2000 rounds had been fired. Now, I haven't any experience with the MK series and their nested springs, so I don't know if Kahr recommends replacement after some number of rounds have been fired. In fact, I'm rather doubtful that the recoil spring issue could even be responsible for the kind failures you experienced, but it's something to check anyway. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Piglet; June 3rd, 2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Correct myself - CR2008 fired 180 rounds, not 50.

  3. #3
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    In 2 of those cases, the shell case was parallel to the slide, 1/2 way outside (not perpendicular)...
    I'm no expert, but that part worries me the most. Break-in period or not, that sounds like a potential extractor problem. Consider taking pictures next time if it happens, but I recommend calling Kahr and asking them about it just to be sure.


    -B

  4. #4
    Member Array Hoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    133
    As Piglet suggests, do the break-in. I have carried a MK9 for years, and it is dead reliable and a great shooter. You will swear by it, not at it, by the time you put a couple hundred rounds through it.

    And "limp wristing" or girlie gripping the gun will cause problems in most any semiauto.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Given that you've only fired 1/4 of the number of rounds that the manufacturer of the gun instructs you to fire,
    I fired 175 rounds, so that's over 3/4 of all the rounds in the "break in period." If I put another 200 more rounds through it and nothing chances, that could have been 2 "periods?"

    Going to walmart to pick up more ammo, 200 rounds of WWB and probably 100 rounds of UMC... so then it would be almost 500 rounds total to test the reliability with FMJ... hopefully it should past after this.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    As Piglet suggests, do the break-in. I have carried a MK9 for years, and it is dead reliable and a great shooter. You will swear by it, not at it, by the time you put a couple hundred rounds through it.

    And "limp wristing" or girlie gripping the gun will cause problems in most any semiauto.
    I deliberately limp wristed both my Sigs and never had any malfunctions in either... It's reported that sub compacts are more prone to limp wristing than larger guns and some brand models are more prone than others... see this video here, interesting.
    YouTube - Limp Wrist tests Round 3

    YouTube - testing several handguns for "limp wristing"
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  7. #7
    Member Array Piglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Here and There
    Posts
    113
    CR2008 corrected me:

    I fired 175 rounds, so that's over 3/4 of all the rounds in the "break in period."
    OOPS! Sorry, CR, I read too hastily. Well, that makes things sound a little less encouraging. Though technically you are still in the break-in period range, I should think that Kahr would err well on the side of caution when choosing 200 as the number of rounds to be fired before the gun is considered reliable, meaning that I'm sure they expect the gun to be running fine well before 200.

    Now I'm a little more concerned. But, you still didn't tell me whether the gun is new or not. Is it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    CR2008 corrected me:



    OOPS! Sorry, CR, I read too hastily. Well, that makes things sound a little less encouraging. Though technically you are still in the break-in period range, I should think that Kahr would err well on the side of caution when choosing 200 as the number of rounds to be fired before the gun is considered reliable, meaning that I'm sure they expect the gun to be running fine well before 200.

    Now I'm a little more concerned. But, you still didn't tell me whether the gun is new or not. Is it?
    Got it new from Dana Safety Supplies (same place I got the Kel Tec P32), it was in the shop for years it seems, because I checked the serial # and it dates back in late 2001. I looked every where for the MK9 in the gun stores, all they had was polymer models.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,330
    Dont sweat it... brake it in properly and you will be OK. I've said lots of times that the Kahr micros and not good choices for new shooters due to the size and all the potential problems that go with that.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 4th, 2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
    "Just blame Sixto"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Will cycling dumby rounds speed up "break in period" since the recoil spring and other parts move about?

    I don't see why you have to fire live rounds to do this break in thing... I have been cycling dumby rounds and had no issues, may actually go to the range tomorrow to test reliability again.

    I was actually concentrating on how I held the pistol to reduce limp wristing, I never had ANY issues with limp wristing the baby glocks or the Kel Tecs, so I don't believe that caused that extracting issues. In fact, I will deliberately try to limp wrist this pistol to see how sensitive it is to it.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,330
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Will cycling dumby rounds speed up "break in period" since the recoil spring and other parts move about?

    I don't see why you have to fire live rounds to do this break in thing... I have been cycling dumby rounds and had no issues, may actually go to the range tomorrow to test reliability again.

    I was actually concentrating on how I held the pistol to reduce limp wristing, I never had ANY issues with limp wristing the baby glocks or the Kel Tecs, so I don't believe that caused that extracting issues. In fact, I will deliberately try to limp wrist this pistol to see how sensitive it is to it.
    manually cycling the gun will do next to nothing for break in.

    Limp wrist my or may not be the issue, but the pm doesn't really compare to the Glock or Keltec. Its much smaller than the Glock, and much more powerful than the K.T., the two biggest factors for that problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Kahr CW9 - Range Report
    By bpang1 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2010, 02:40 AM
  2. Kahr PM9 Range Report
    By tokerblue in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM
  3. Kahr PM9 Range Report
    By cbroth in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
  4. Range Report, Kahr P45
    By randytulsa2 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 12th, 2006, 01:10 AM
  5. Kahr P9 range report
    By Roadrunner in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Search tags for this page

2012 report khar k40 elite 98
,

breaking in kahr mk9

,

federal mk9

,

kahr mk9

,
kahr mk9 $660 new in box
,

kahr mk9 breaking

,

kahr mk9 elite range report

,
kahr p-32
,

kahr p32

,

khar m90

,

kt p32

,
p938 extractor
Click on a term to search for related topics.