My 4-Day Tomcat! - Page 2

My 4-Day Tomcat!

This is a discussion on My 4-Day Tomcat! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate to hear about guns breaking, even more so when they are new. I've also run into issues with UPS and shipping "firearms", funny ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 4-Day Tomcat!

I hate to hear about guns breaking, even more so when they are new.

I've also run into issues with UPS and shipping "firearms", funny thing is that my "firearms" keep getting labled as "machined components". Last time I shipped something I got a look and asked what type of machine costs over $700 and fits in such a small box. I told him he'd never know, to which he replied that he'd shipped several boxes of machine components that day.

I really want to buy this gun and I need someone to talk me into it. Another question: Heard many stories of the blued version having frame cracks whereas the stainless version have not had this problem? Anyone? My first question was about forcing the trigger with the safety on.

I'm afraid if I ever had to use this gun for real, in the heat of battle, I may forget the safety, (I've got a bunch of DAO and revolvers), and break the gun leaving myself defenseless.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    bender:
    I have the stainless Tomcat, and I have put about 400 rds with no problems through this gun. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT buy the Beretta tomcat.
    First off: .32 caliber is not exactly a devastating man stopper.
    The gun is pricey at around $400 a copy.
    The Tomcat is quite heavy and thick for a small gun.

Now I have a Ruger LCP and it just melts into my pocket, and holds the more powerful 380 auto round. I woulod recommend the LCP or even the Kel-tec over the Beretta.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I had a Beretta Jetfire in .25 ACP years ago. Great little pistol, functioned 100% and scary accurate at 26 yards! Sold it mostly due to non-ambi safety (I'm a lefty).

Never did trust the new double action versions of these though....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Freedom, think I'll end up with the LCP or the Kahr 380 and teach her how to rack the slide. Or maybe a Smith Model 317 .........

Send it back and relax. Beretta will make it right.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

An Update

I received the Tomcat back from Beretta today with the following notation:

"Inspected firearm, noted the problem is from the trigger bar spring & pin coming out because of a gap from the grips allowing the pin to move outward. Replaced the grips, reseated the pin, aligned spring."

With dry fire, the gun seems fine. Will learn more on the range tomorrow. The gun has a factory installed Crimson Trace Lasergrip so, I wonder (and have asked Crimson Trace) is this is something not right in the grip design??
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    .... noted the problem is from the trigger bar spring & pin coming out because of a gap from the grips allowing the pin to move outward.
    I wonder if that's related to a chronic problem I had with my 3032 inox Tomcat-- the grip screws always loosened up until I finally put a drop of Loctite blue on each screw. The last straw was the time I completely forgot to check the screws and I ended up losing one. It cost almost six dollars to get a replacement from Beretta ($1 for the screw, $5 for shipping and handling). For that reason, I will NEVER buy another Beretta. Smith and Wesson, as someone noted earlier, sent me a shipping label to return an auto with a bent extractor. They also sent me FREE two or three little plastic parts that go on the end of the slide spring rod (no charge for the part, no charge for the shipping) on a S&W .22.

Other than that, I really like my Tomcat. I've run over a thousand rounds through it, from ball to jacketed hollowpoints, without a single failure to feed or failure to eject. The flip up barrel takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's useful to either drop a round in the pipe without racking one in and leaving the hammer back or just to do a quick check to see if its ready to roll. Two quick tips--- first, get used to never using the safety. If you keep a round in the pipe with the hammer down, having to either thumb back the hammer or do the extra hard pull on the double action trigger is enough of a "safety." (Don't be a fool though, if you don't put the time in to get to know your firearm or you're dumb enough to leave it unsecured, you probably would be better off with the safety on at all times). Second, paint the front sight a bright, gaudy, florescent orange (I used nail polish). This makes it a heck of a lot easier for your eye to guide that front sight to center mass quickly. I have a high degree of confidence the Tomcat will do the job should I ever have no choice but to defend myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links