My 4-Day Tomcat!

This is a discussion on My 4-Day Tomcat! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I would share my experience - Last Thursday, I bought a new Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32. On Friday, I took it to the range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4-Day Tomcat!

My 4-Day Tomcat!

Thought I would share my experience - Last Thursday, I bought a new Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32. On Friday, I took it to the range and fired 55 shots. No malfunctions. Kind of a fun gun. Love the tilt-up barrel, the single action alternative, and the positive safety

On Monday, I took it to the range again and, as I pulled the trigger on what would have been the 40th round for that day, it failed to fire. I checked and found a round in the chamber and the hammer fully cocked. The trigger was limp as if it were connected to nothing. After I cleared the gun, I was still unable to lower the hammer. Some linkage obviously disconnected or broken.

Later the same day, I called Beretta and said, "I have a 4 day old Tomcat here that is broken!" She told me to ship it to their address with a letter of explanation. When I asked if she would be providing a shipping label, she said that is not part of Beretta's warranty! I protested but to no avail. So, now, I have paid $30 to get my 4 day Tomcat back to Beretta. If it keeps breaking, I will spend more on shipping than the cost of the gun!

Now, I am back to having only one little .32 - this sweet little Seecamp that doesn't break!
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

2. Remove Ads

If I were you I’d take it back to the gun store you purchased it at and have them ship it.

If they do any kind of volume with Beretta, they can bend the arm of the rep to get a credit for shipping.

I purchased the 22 LR version of that same pistol about 10 years ago. Since then we have fired it hundreds if not a thousand times.

It has never failed, and we love that little pistol.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I believe the law is that a FFL can ship to the factory using UPS ground. So, if you bring it back to the store where you bought it, the shipping should be nominal.
    Another thing you might do is send it yourself through UPS minus the barrel, and magazine and ship it as an incomplete inoperable firearm. Check with UPS, because I'm almost certain that it is a UPS rule and not a federal rule about shipping a COMPLETE firearm next day air.

UPS uses the same definition of firearm as the Feds. Yes it is a UPS rule on what method they will ship it. But a frame is considered a firearm "according to their rules".

I, uhmm, never have any trouble shipping machined parts, though.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Smith and Wesson sends a prepaid shipping label for all of their warranty repair work. I would take it back to the dealer and have him ship it to Beretta like tns0038 said to do. Maybe Beretta sends a prepaid label to FFL dealers only.
    God bless our troops!

The dealer did offer to pick up the shipping but, I didn't feel right about that. He's a good guy and kind of a friend. He originally showed me his invoice and charged me +$50. The poor product and poor customer service policy is not his fault and I didn't want to gouge him for it.

Anyhow, I shipped it out on my UPS account and it has already been delivered to Beretta. I'm waiting to see what happens next.
    Gene

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    an ffl can ship a handgun by US Mail (USPS) to another ffl or original factory for under $10, not including insurance. It's nice having ffl buddies

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    EEK! I've only fired my .22 Bocat 12 rounds, but it didn't break.
    Your experience is one more reason for me to buy the LCP
    and put up the less powerful and heavier Beretta for sale but
    I'll see if the Ruger breaks on the initial test.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    Thought I would share my experience - Last Thursday, I bought a new Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32. On Friday, I took it to the range and fired 55 shots. No malfunctions. Kind of a fun gun. Love the tilt-up barrel, the single action alternative, and the positive safety

On Monday, I took it to the range again and, as I pulled the trigger on what would have been the 40th round for that day, it failed to fire. I checked and found a round in the chamber and the hammer fully cocked. The trigger was limp as if it were connected to nothing. After I cleared the gun, I was still unable to lower the hammer. Some linkage obviously disconnected or broken.

Later the same day, I called Beretta and said, "I have a 4 day old Tomcat here that is broken!" She told me to ship it to their address with a letter of explanation. When I asked if she would be providing a shipping label, she said that is not part of Beretta's warranty! I protested but to no avail. So, now, I have paid $30 to get my 4 day Tomcat back to Beretta. If it keeps breaking, I will spend more on shipping than the cost of the gun!

Now, I am back to having only one little .32 - this sweet little Seecamp that doesn't break!
    There are reports out there of .32ACP tomcats that get's cracks in the frame after 50 rounds...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    EEK! I've only fired my .22 Bocat 12 rounds, but it didn't break.
    Your experience is one more reason for me to buy the LCP
    and put up the less powerful and heavier Beretta for sale but
    I'll see if the Ruger breaks on the initial test.
    Did you read the reports of the LCP? A portion of the trigger unite is said to be prone to breaking... look into it as there are several users that have defective guns that need to be repaired.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I bought a used Tomcat six months ago. I probably have 300 rounds through it. Never a misfeed. Various types of ammo, but never a problem. I really like mine.
    Dieu et les Dames

I didn't have any misfeeds either - only the trigger problem. And, I'm pretty sure the frame hasn't cracked.

CR2008, where did you read the reports on the LCP?
    Gene

I had been interested in getting a Tomcat, reading some of the forums led me to believe its hit or miss, no pun intended, either people are very happy or they experience problems such as the one you described. Really would like to get the LCP but same situation, lot of feedback with some people reporting problems. Guess I'll wait until the smoke clears on the LCP before I make a descision.

Isn't there a way to break the gun (or part of it) if you forget the safety is on, and force the trigger? If it weren't for that, this would be the perfect self-defense gun for my wife - use the flip up to load in lieu of racking it. Absolutely LOVE my two Beretta 92FS.

Quote Originally Posted by benderx4 View Post
    Isn't there a way to break the gun (or part of it) if you forget the safety is on, and force the trigger? If it weren't for that, this would be the perfect self-defense gun for my wife - use the flip up to load in lieu of racking it. Absolutely LOVE my two Beretta 92FS.
    That is one of major selling points for the tilt-up barrel - people who do not have the hand strength to rack the slide. It's also a great feature for clearing the gun if you decide to stop shooting before the magazine is empty.
    Gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links