Man, I got myself a Smith! (640 357Mag)

This is a discussion on Man, I got myself a Smith! (640 357Mag) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just did not feel confident with that Kahr MK9, it's actually the first gun I ever shot that seemed so buggy... every 50 rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man, I got myself a Smith! (640 357Mag)

I just did not feel confident with that Kahr MK9, it's actually the first gun I ever shot that seemed so buggy... every 50 rounds or so there is a malfunction of some sort, and after passing the 200 round "break in period" this weapon did not inspire confidence in me at all, it's a bad feeling that I am actually not use to, considering the other weapons I have owned and used in the past had no issues and were reliable straight out of the box... glocks, sigs, HKs etc. In fact, I don't even understand why the Glock is less expensive than the Kahr, I am scratching my head on that one.

Any how, picked up a new Smith and Wesson 640 357Mag...

Pic from snubnose.info

was originally leaning to the air weights (VERY light, was impressed by gun but worried about aluminum frame in the 642 in terms of service life because I shoot a lot and the 340PD in terms of recoil generated, it was only a tad heaver than the Kel Tec!.), traded both the Kahr MK9 and Kel Tec P32 for the Smith... I could not go along with another tiny semi auto this time around and though I only have 5 shots at lest revolvers are notoriously reliable, I will stick to service weapons like the Sigs/HKs/Glocks (and certain Barretta models) and anything else it will be a revolver... I am not the type of person that wishes to "experiment" anymore.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Congrats on your new weapon. Lets us know how it preforms.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

VIP Member
    Good choice! I actually use +P in my 640.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Good choice! I actually use +P in my 640.
    I got some Federal HS... Need some good practice ammo though, I don't plane to use magnum rounds though because of the recoil... 38special +P should be more than enough.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

... I could not go along with another tiny semi auto this time around and though I only have 5 shots at lest revolvers are notoriously reliable, I will stick to service weapons like the Sigs/HKs/Glocks (and certain Barretta models) and anything else it will be a revolver... I am not the type of person that wishes to "experiment" anymore.

I have just about come to the same conclusion, I am willing to give Kahr or Ruger (P380 or LCP) one more chance before I throw in the towel. I really like the little pocket guns, but reliability is a must if it is to be trusted with your life.
    God bless our troops!

congrats on your new toy !!!
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have a 640 .357, and would not want to part with it, although I do not carry it often.
    For range practice I use reduced loads in .357 or sometimes .38 Spl hot loads.
    For carry I use the Win ST 145 gr ammo.

Pachmayer rubber grips really do a lot to tame the recoil of hot or full power .357 loads.

Best,
    Jerry

Smith & Wesson makes a great revolver! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your 640.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Military and Police sevice autos have proven themselves without question.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    ... I could not go along with another tiny semi auto this time around and though I only have 5 shots at lest revolvers are notoriously reliable, I will stick to service weapons like the Sigs/HKs/Glocks (and certain Barretta models) and anything else it will be a revolver... I am not the type of person that wishes to "experiment" anymore.

I have just about come to the same conclusion, I am willing to give Kahr or Ruger (P380 or LCP) one more chance before I throw in the towel. I really like the little pocket guns, but reliability is a must if it is to be trusted with your life.
    You have more tolerance than me THANKFULLY I had more than one CCW to depend on, I can't imagine if someone only owned one handgun and had to spend time messing around with it, or having it go back and forth to the factory to work right, that's scary... you may need it when you lest expect.

This is my philosophy now, the ONLY semi autos I will ever purchase now (for self defence) are the types that either the military or police use on duty, there is very little question that these service type semi autos are reliable, they have proven themselves on the battle field as well as the streets... where it matters (I don't count the gun writers or the bloggers )

It's one thing to read reports of how reliable or unreliable a gun is on the internet, and it's another thing among the military and police members (the users on the street and the armorer who service them), who do you think would give more credibility too? Should not be hard to figure out.

I only wished they made a 640 in 9mm, since it's cheaper... (there are a few snub nose guns in 9mm/38super and 45acp).

There was another snub nose in 22mag, REAL light and had 7 rounds but the rim fire cartage being less reliable was not convincing... felt good though, it's amazing they have made these revolvers so light these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    This is my philosophy now, the ONLY semi autos I will ever purchase now (for self defence) are the types that either the military or police use on duty
    And a very wise philosophy it is.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Congrats, I also am looking at a BUG, and lean towards a revolver. I'm strongly considering an Airweight .38 +p. I will not be putting many rounds through it, I have a S&W model 60 .357 that I do that with, so I don't have to worry about longevity, I think.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new purchase!

To Rmac58 - I highly recommend the airweights, but not the sc frames. The sc framed revolvers have the steel barrel sleave and just don't seem to group. I owned 2 and sold both. Finally bought a 637 which is awesome.

I would love to add one to my collection. Nice find.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Just shot one of these a couple weeks ago, first snubby I'd ever shot, impressed to say the least. Middle-of-road .357 loads were very manageable.

Watched a pre-lock 640 go for $399 on gunbroker Monday, still kicking myself for not bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    Congrats, I also am looking at a BUG, and lean towards a revolver. I'm strongly considering an Airweight .38 +p. I will not be putting many rounds through it, I have a S&W model 60 .357 that I do that with, so I don't have to worry about longevity, I think.
    The Smith & Wesson Model 642 Centennial Airweight Revolver

Good information, this guy also has a good podcast up.... I heard these things actually have a long service life, another reason I went to SS is that I like the added weight to help deal with recoil. Less recoil = faster follow up shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links