Small .380's Too Small?

This is a discussion on Small .380's Too Small? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just ordered a Ruger LCP (carry a Kahr PM9 now, but want something a bit smaller for summer carry). Anyone have good feedback even though ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small .380's Too Small?

Just ordered a Ruger LCP (carry a Kahr PM9 now, but want something a bit smaller for summer carry). Anyone have good feedback even though it's only been out for a short time? What holster would you recommend (IWB style).

Think first, act appropriately...

2. Remove Ads

I'm missing something. Why would you want to go larger than the LWS32 for a cartridge as small as the 32acp?

I know some people have trouble controlling the .380 out of the tiny Seecamp and they might be better suited to an LCP, Kahr, or P3AT......but IMHO, if you're going to carry a .32, you might as well have the smallest, best one out there.........and you do.

I love my P3AT for its intended purpose. Had 2 FTE during the first 50 rounds, but after that, not one issue. Got about 600 or 700 rds. downrange and nothing but "BANG" every time. I did do the fluff and buff, but not sure I even needed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidetech View Post
    Just ordered a Ruger LCP (carry a Kahr PM9 now, but want something a bit smaller for summer carry). Anyone have good feedback even though it's only been out for a short time? What holster would you recommend (IWB style).
    I have a Hign Noon Hidden ally for IWB right now. Also have a nice smartcarry style pouch that my wife made for me. Special seams, waterproof insert and all. Between these and the pocket holster I can carry the LCP anywhere, anytime.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Administrator
    I guess I'm odd man out, I prefer the .32 in a mouse gun. I see no reason to go with a 380, and if I want to step up it will be to a 9mm. You can get a 9mm in pretty much the same size package as the 380's anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hi, I just purchased a new LCP Monday and have put maybe 300 rounds through it thus far.
    It's a great little pocket pistol and dependable as all hell (no ftf,jam,fte,etc). Easy head shots from 0-15 feet easy body mass shots up to 40 feet. I will probably switch back and forth between my little Colt Pony Pocketlite and the new Ruger LCP.
    I had a KT some time ago and never was sure if it was going to fire everytime I pulled the trigger.
    Cheers,
    JimK
    45 ACP: SP 1911 TRP, Sig P220compact, HK 45c
    40 cal: S&W M&P 40c
    9mm: Sig 239, Sp EMP, HKP7M8, HKP7 PSP
    380 ACP: Sig 232, Bersa T, Colt Gov series 80, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Ruger LCP
    22 LR: Ruger SS MKIII Hunter, Colt Fronteer Scout 22lr/mag, Walther PPK 22lr, PP22lr, P22, S&W 317, S&W 34-1

I can control a P3AT a lot better than a J Frame. I shoot the little .380 a lot better in rapid strings and distance shots as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Also, though the gun worked well, it had tool marks in many places, it's not a looker but it works.
    I deffinately agree there. They are not pretty by any means, but they work well for what they are made to do. Light, accurate and easy to carry and conceal.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anyone like Buffalo Bore and Double Tap .380 ammo?
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I primary carry a P3AT in a SmartCarry on a daily basis at work and love it. It's very concealable and has the horsepower necessary in a defensive situation. Kel-Tec says "average" life expectancy is 6k rounds, I've got 1k through mine and it still works like a champ. Putting Bersa grip extenders on my mags and a slip-on grip makes it a joy to shoot, for me it fits the bill.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

Grip Extensions

Do any of you who own either the P3-AT or the LCP use the grip extensions?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Do any of you who own either the P3-AT or the LCP use the grip extensions?
    Putting Kel Tec grip extenders on my mags and a slip-on grip makes it a joy to shoot, for me it fits the bill.
    With the addition of the grip extensions 54602 - Kel-Tec P3AT .380 Grip Extension - Manufactured by: Kel-Tec on the magazines and a slip-on grip KTADDONS.com the recoil and bite of this little gun is minimal and really increases my accuracy with it out to 25ft.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I guess I'm odd man out, I prefer the .32 in a mouse gun. I see no reason to go with a 380, and if I want to step up it will be to a 9mm. You can get a 9mm in pretty much the same size package as the 380's anyway.
    While I agree with you, I'm not allowed anything below a 380 per my dept guidelines for an off-duty weapon.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    While I agree with you, I'm not allowed anything below a 380 per my dept guidelines for an off-duty weapon.
    And I am sure they have a reasonable explanation for this, why should they send their officers out there that's less effective than a .380 or 38special?

A round like the .32 looks like it could possibly work for a headshots (if perpendicular and not an angle) and the neck area (less flesh to penetrate). I can't imagine that round doing much in the torso because the ribs will certainly slow or stop the round.... and the .25ACP can't even penetrate the human skull at times, there are reports of this round literally BOUNCING OFF OF the skull, and some people got hit multiple times in the face, and they were walking around as if they got slapped... Now why would a police department issue something on that level?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

LCP

I got an LCP and have put about 200 rounds through it with no problems. I have tried to limp wrist it but couldn't make it jam. It does like federal hydrashocks better than the corbons. I have put winchester target, remington 88 grain JHPs, Corbons, and Hydrashocks through it and it ate them all. The corbons felt rough when loading but they did load and go bang with every load.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk41 View Post
    I got an LCP and have put about 200 rounds through it with no problems. I have tried to limp wrist it but couldn't make it jam. It does like federal hydrashocks better than the corbons. I have put winchester target, remington 88 grain JHPs, Corbons, and Hydrashocks through it and it ate them all. The corbons felt rough when loading but they did load and go bang with every load.
    YouTube - testing several handguns for "limp wristing"

Did you try to limp wrist as shown in this video?

I tried limping with my P239 by only loosely holding it, could not get it to malfunction... BUT when I held the gun using the method (as shown in the video), the slide could not travel all the way back so I had to manually slide it back to eject the spent casing and load the following round.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links