Market Heating Up for Small Guns? - Page 2

Market Heating Up for Small Guns?

This is a discussion on Market Heating Up for Small Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mighty HD LCP has a LONG and heavy trigger pull. I feel fine carrying in an empty pocket with no holster if ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Market Heating Up for Small Guns?

  1. #16
    Member Array realitycramp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD View Post
    LCP has a LONG and heavy trigger pull. I feel fine carrying in an empty pocket with no holster if necessary.
    While i agree the trigger pull on my LCP is very long and stiff, the thought of naked in the pocket makes me feel a little anxious for the "boys" safety. Yikes

    Always in a holster with nothing else in the pocket.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.


  2. #17
    Member Array Skysoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    232
    I looked every where for A Ruger LCP and couldn't find one then I read about some problems they were having so I bought a NAA Guardian 32acp and have not been sorry. The little bugger shoots everytime and is very easy to just stick in your pocket. You do need a pocket holster but I can carry in just a pair of cutoffs and a tee shirt . I load up with XTPs which shot the best of all the loads I tried , second choice Silvertips

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array tns0038's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    As I understand them, neither the Ruger LCP nor the Kahr KP3833 have positive safeties on board. How do you feel about having one of those little guys down in your pocket - only a trigger pull away from firing?

    Good point

    Neither does the Kel-Tec P3AT 380

    That’s why I carry it in my pocket in a nemeses holster

    When you think about it NO revolver has a safety. The holster is the safety

  4. #19
    Member Array MOUNTAINIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
    I looked every where for A Ruger LCP and couldn't find one...
    I understand that the Ruger LCP is "an allocated gun." So, volume dealers get more and small dealers may not get one for a while. One came into my dealer and sold withing 30 minutes.

    Where did you read about some problems?
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

  5. #20
    Member Array MOUNTAINIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Good point

    Neither does the Kel-Tec P3AT 380

    That’s why I carry it in my pocket in a nemeses holster

    When you think about it NO revolver has a safety. The holster is the safety
    It's true that a revolver does not have a safety nor does the Seecamp but, some of these guns put half tension on the firing pin when you rack a round into the chamber. If the striker block fails, that half tension is enough to fire the gun on a sensitive primer. The same thing may happen if you drop it or otherwise give it enough shock.
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

    I'm going to paraphrase James Yeager (getoffthex.com) on his thoughts on a Kahr 9mm, "It's a great gun for everything but a gunfight."

    Buy & carry them, but not as a primary.
    No idea what you or he expect out of a "primary" gun, but the Kahr 9mm I've carried for the past 14 years gives me 4" rapid-fire groups at 25 yds all day long.

    Of course, I'm not a particularly good shot.....

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    No idea what you or he expect out of a "primary" gun, but the Kahr 9mm I've carried for the past 14 years gives me 4" rapid-fire groups at 25 yds all day long.

    Of course, I'm not a particularly good shot.....
    The only guns I would trust my life on now is either a duty/service handgun used by law enforcement agencies/military or a quality revolver.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    The only guns I would trust my life on now is either a duty/service handgun used by law enforcement agencies/military or a quality revolver.
    You do realize that military and LE contracts generally go to the low bidder, right?

  9. #24
    Senior Member Array wht06rado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    As I understand them, neither the Ruger LCP nor the Kahr KP3833 have positive safeties on board. How do you feel about having one of those little guys down in your pocket - only a trigger pull away from firing?
    I feel just fine actually. The gun sits in a pocket holster with the trigger covered. I carry like this almost all of the time now that the weather has warmed up quite a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    It's true that a revolver does not have a safety nor does the Seecamp but, some of these guns put half tension on the firing pin when you rack a round into the chamber. If the striker block fails, that half tension is enough to fire the gun on a sensitive primer. The same thing may happen if you drop it or otherwise give it enough shock.
    The P3AT and LCP, as far as I know, are both hammer fired. There is no half cock. Revolvers are the same way.

    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    You do realize that military and LE contracts generally go to the low bidder, right?
    Very true! It ALWAYS goes to the lowest bidder!


    Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

    NRA
    Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  10. #25
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    As I understand them, neither the Ruger LCP nor the Kahr KP3833 have positive safeties on board. How do you feel about having one of those little guys down in your pocket - only a trigger pull away from firing?
    No problem the trigger pull is heavy enough, My problem is they are so small to hold on to.

  11. #26
    Member Array MOUNTAINIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post

    The P3AT and LCP, as far as I know, are both hammer fired. There is no half cock. Revolvers are the same way.


    Wht

    The following is extracted from loading and firing section of the User Manual of the Ruger LCP:

    "5. ...With the thumb and forefinger of the other hand grasp the top of the slide and pull the slide to the rear as far as it will go (see Figure 1A, below). Use care to not place any part of your hand in front of the muzzle (see “Slide Retraction Warning,” p. 16). When released, the slide will fly forward to strip the top cartridge from the magazine and chamber it. The hammer automatically moves to the semi-cocked position as the slide moves forward.

    7. The pistol is ready for instant use. When the pistol is in the “semi-cocked” mode, the first shot can be fired double-action by pulling the trigger all the way to the rear, which fully cocks and releases the hammer and then fires the pistol. Subsequent shots are fired in the same way by releasing and then pulling the trigger until the magazine is empty, the hammer being semi- cocked by the slide as it recoils from each shot."

    The Kahr P380 works similarly but, without a hammer, it is the firing pin that is "semi-tensioned."
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

  12. #27
    Member Array MOUNTAINIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post

    Very true! It ALWAYS goes to the lowest bidder!

    Wht
    There may be some validity to this for local law enforcement choices but, unless my memory fails me, it was not the case when the military chose the Beretta M9 as the new sidearm. The choice of 9MM was politics with NATO and the manufacturer/specific weapon was by performance testing. I'm sure price may have been somewhere in the formula but not a strong factor - it was probably negotiated after Beretta won the competition.
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array wht06rado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post

    The following is extracted from loading and firing section of the User Manual of the Ruger LCP:

    "5. ...With the thumb and forefinger of the other hand grasp the top of the slide and pull the slide to the rear as far as it will go (see Figure 1A, below). Use care to not place any part of your hand in front of the muzzle (see “Slide Retraction Warning,” p. 16). When released, the slide will fly forward to strip the top cartridge from the magazine and chamber it. The hammer automatically moves to the semi-cocked position as the slide moves forward.

    7. The pistol is ready for instant use. When the pistol is in the “semi-cocked” mode, the first shot can be fired double-action by pulling the trigger all the way to the rear, which fully cocks and releases the hammer and then fires the pistol. Subsequent shots are fired in the same way by releasing and then pulling the trigger until the magazine is empty, the hammer being semi- cocked by the slide as it recoils from each shot."

    The Kahr P380 works similarly but, without a hammer, it is the firing pin that is "semi-tensioned."
    I stand corrected. Thank you. I still do not feel unsafe by any means with my P3AT in my pocket in a Desantis Nemesis.

    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    There may be some validity to this for local law enforcement choices but, unless my memory fails me, it was not the case when the military chose the Beretta M9 as the new sidearm. The choice of 9MM was politics with NATO and the manufacturer/specific weapon was by performance testing. I'm sure price may have been somewhere in the formula but not a strong factor - it was probably negotiated after Beretta won the competition.
    I've also heard rumors that another possiblity is that we wanted to put bases in Italy. But I don't know the real reason they went with the M9. I do know that all of the computer and other systems that I work with daily all go out to the lowest bidder.

    Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

    NRA
    Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    Military or LE weapons, lowest bidder or not, usually have a track record of reliability that can be evaluated.

    Firearms that aren't used in this arena usually don't have as extensive of a track record to evaluate.

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post

    when the military chose the Beretta M9 as the new sidearm.
    A sad, sad, day that I remember well, many years ago now.......the day they took away my beloved 1911 and gave me an M9 to replace it.

    Nothing horribly wrong with the Beretta mind you, I just shoot a 1911 a lot better due to my dinky-little-girl-fingers.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Laser for small sighted guns
    By CowboyColby in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: May 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
  2. Get guns off the market!
    By p010367 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: March 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
  3. Lifespan of small guns.
    By ErikGr7 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
  4. Small Guns for CCW
    By jwalker497 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
  5. Definitive Guns For Small Hands thread...
    By Dean407 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: March 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Search tags for this page

best everyday carry gun in florida heat

,

james yeager and kahrs

,

kp3833 too much recoil for women

,

new guns on the market

,

new small guns on the market

,

newest pistols on the market

,

newest pistols on the market this year

,

smallguns

,

smallguns.com

Click on a term to search for related topics.