Market Heating Up for Small Guns?

This is a discussion on Market Heating Up for Small Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two manufacturers have announced new small guns in the past three months - by small, I mean in the same size and weight as the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Market Heating Up for Small Guns?

Two manufacturers have announced new small guns in the past three months - by small, I mean in the same size and weight as the little Seecamp. There is the Ruger LCP .380 released in March and the Kahr KP3833 being shipped in June. They must sense a growing market for real pocket guns??
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

I think so with 48 of the 50 states having concealed carry laws on the books. There is a real market for the little guns like never before, either as a back up gun for LEOs and civilians or as an everyday carry gun for those living in humid climates where shorts and tee shirts are in vogue.
    God bless our troops!

Small Guns

Checking the KAHR ARMS Website... the shipping date has been moved up to... Summer of 2008. Orginally June 2008. Checking the spec sheet the Kahr 380 will be a bit thinner than the Ruger LCP.

I have the LCP and this would seem almost impossible.. I also own Kahrs.. (3) anxious to see this new one.. a few bills more than the LCP.. Worth? time will tell and reports on the forum.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The new LCP does seem to be the HOT thing this spring and now summer.

As for 9mms and 38s. The RAMI and now RAMI P models always get more popular on the CZ side. Ruger's SP101 gets popular when the weather heats
    up and Smith J frames do also.

I, Myself. I'd rather carry a 9mm or even 10mm over a .380 or .22, but
    just can't handle them on some days.

As I understand them, neither the Ruger LCP nor the Kahr KP3833 have positive safeties on board. How do you feel about having one of those little guys down in your pocket - only a trigger pull away from firing?
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    As I understand them, neither the Ruger LCP nor the Kahr KP3833 have positive safeties on board. How do you feel about having one of those little guys down in your pocket - only a trigger pull away from firing?
    a. Use a pocket holster and....
    b. Don't pull the trigger.

Well said +1 on that! Also they have a delibrate trigger pull, not easy to acidently pull. I have not measured the trigger pull onmy KT P3AT but I'd venture to say it is at least 5lb...

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINEER View Post
    I feel perfectly fine carrying a PM9 in a pocket holster! As long as you don't pull the trigger, it's not going to fire

LCP has a LONG and heavy trigger pull. I feel fine carrying in an empty pocket with no holster if necessary.
    Mighty HD

Administrator
    "Pocket" gun market has been on fire the last 5-7 years now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The keltec P9 and P11 advertise an 8 pound trigger pull which is pretty stiff
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Beyond a certain point, guns can get too small to use effectively.

I think we are going to see a lot of guns come out that are great to carry, but hell to manipulate and fire under stress, with too much recoil for the package.

Beyond a certain point, light weight is a disadvantage because the shooter is going to get pounded when firing. This means less practice, and if their is one thing that people need, its practice with their gear.

Ultra light guns have a definate value and purpose...but I think too many people will start to use them outside their intended roll of backup, 2nd or 3rd gun, and start to carry them as a primary weapon instead.

I'm going to paraphrase James Yeager (getoffthex.com) on his thoughts on a Kahr 9mm, "It's a great gun for everything but a gunfight."

Buy & carry them, but not as a primary.

There should be market, considering that right to carry laws have been moving through the USA... I only wished that companies like Glock etc made a gun to compete against the Kel Tecs etc, imagine a gun of that or smaller proportions but with better quality parts etc?

For the price though, the Kel Tecs are a good deal, but don't expect the cosmetics (especially the rough surface of the insides and parts of the outside slide) to match a gun that costs 2 times more. If you clean and maintain these things, they will work.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Beyond a certain point, guns can get too small to use effectively.

I think we are going to see a lot of guns come out that are great to carry, but hell to manipulate and fire under stress, with too much recoil for the package.

Beyond a certain point, light weight is a disadvantage because the shooter is going to get pounded when firing. This means less practice, and if their is one thing that people need, its practice with their gear.

Ultra light guns have a definate value and purpose...but I think too many people will start to use them outside their intended roll of backup, 2nd or 3rd gun, and start to carry them as a primary weapon instead.

I'm going to paraphrase James Yeager (getoffthex.com) on his thoughts on a Kahr 9mm, "It's a great gun for everything but a gunfight."

Buy & carry them, but not as a primary.
    Though the KT P32 is less than 7 ounces, it fells like a service 9mm when you fire it, easy to get even multiple head shots at 9ft just point shooting... but the caliber is the weak point here but it's words a head of the .25s and .22s IMHO (why would ANYONE use a .25acp when you can use a 32?!) . I hear about those really light .380 guns kicking hard, not interested in that kina thing because if a gun can't make rapid follow up shots, that's a SERIOUS disadvantage (For this reason I don't ever see myself using a NAA mini revolver for self defence though I own one.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    ... I only wished that companies like Glock etc made a gun to compete against the Kel Tecs etc, imagine a gun of that or smaller proportions but with better quality parts etc?

How about the Kahr P380? It's smaller and almost as light as the Kel Tec. I think the quality is there.
    Gene

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links