Taurus??? - Page 2

Taurus???

This is a discussion on Taurus??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CR2008 Primary home defence = shotgun But obviously a handgun can double as both a home defence AND carry weapon... if the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus???

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Primary home defence = shotgun
    But obviously a handgun can double as both a home defence AND carry weapon... if the user had a carry permit then the handgun would make the most sensible option.
    I never specified primary home deffense. Obviously a shotgun is superior. This will be purely a stay at home go to range gun.

All of my guns serve a purpose: either home protection or as a conceal carry. It's beyond my ability to understand why anyone would chose to buy a gun, practice with it, then set it aside. The gun that goes to the range with me is the one I'm using to defend me and my family so I don't miss when it counts.
    BTW, I carry a Taurus PT745 and I love it.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

This gun is meant for home protection. I was just saying that I already have a shotgun.

My brother swears by his PT92 and after my dad shot it he's a believer too and loved the mild recoil, accuracy and high capacity...
    I've yet to get my paws on it though...
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My wife has a PT92 and my daughter has the PT917. Both are stainless and the only difference is that the 917 has a 4" barrel. They both love them and they have been very reliable so far.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I have a PT-99 that is 19 years old. It has many, many thousands of rounds through it and it has never so much as hiccuped. Still has the original factory springs on it.

It is a great gun and I would not hesitate to trust my life to it. It was my first carry gun.

As for it being the "Poor man's Beretta", I will say that I have owned a Berretta M9 and I liked the PT-99 better. Enough to keep it and sell the M9. Why? Because the PT-99 has the safety is the right place. Frame mounted in the same spot and functionally the same as the 1911.

Get the PT-92/99 you will not regret it I predict.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    While I worked at a local gun shop I sold more PT92's than anything else in the store. I don't know how much handgun experience you have, but I consider them an excellent basic pistol. They are extremely difficult to stovepipe due to the light weight slide, they are easy to break down to clean and maintain, and they are great to learn whether you prefer a C&L safety or a de-cocker. If you are an experienced handgun shooter you will be surprised how much accuracy you can wring out of a PT92 as well. The adjustable sights are fun for a range gun but I wouldn't get them on a pistol that is primarily for home defense as it just means more parts to shift, snag or break. The big thing you might want to consider is your hand size as they are a bit bulky in the grip.

To be fair, I love CZ pistols and their clones. I carried a CZ clone for a while and I would own another one in a heart beat. If you are already an accomplished shooter and you know what you like, ie de-cocker only or c&l carry, I would recommend you skip the Taurus and go straight to the appropriate CZ. They are slightly better ergonomically speaking, a little better made IMHO, and the same company that makes the Taurus mags also makes 17 rd. magazines for the CZ pistols. If money is the main consideration I think you would also be a little better off with the CZ in the long run.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

If I were to get the 92 with the fixed sights could I still put night sight on it at a later date? How does that work?

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    If I were to get the 92 with the fixed sights could I still put night sight on it at a later date? How does that work?
    You can get night sights for the Taurus but it's a little pricey. You will have to send the slide in to get a tritium lamp installed in the front sight and have the rear sight replaced. The last time I checked this service ran about $200 bucks before shipping. For the difference it would be cheaper to go with the CZ and buy a set of tritium sights if cost is the main reason for going with the Taurus.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have a PT-99 that is 19 years old. It has many, many thousands of rounds through it and it has never so much as hiccuped. Still has the original factory springs on it.

It is a great gun and I would not hesitate to trust my life to it. It was my first carry gun.

As for it being the "Poor man's Beretta", I will say that I have owned a Berretta M9 and I liked the PT-99 better. Enough to keep it and sell the M9. Why? Because the PT-99 has the safety is the right place. Frame mounted in the same spot and functionally the same as the 1911.

Get the PT-92/99 you will not regret it I predict.
    Same here. Have owned my PT99AF since they first came out. Thousands of rounds and not a single stumble, no kidding! I much prefer the ergonomics of the Taurus over the M9. The safety layout is far more user friendly for me as with alot of other folks. I wouldn't trade my PT99 for a M9. Some will surely disagree, but that's my .02cents worth.

What about the 90-two looks to be killer? Beretta USA Product Catalog - Pistols

Administrator
    When you look at buying spare mags, night sights if you want them etc., the Taurus will be more expensive in the long run vs. the Beretta, thats how they make their money- by jacking up the prices of everything that goes with a new gun.

Beretta mags and other parts are easy to find and cheap, where the Taurus stuff is expensive, and the quality is questionable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I dont really plan on night sights. that was more out of curiousity but thanks anyways. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

VIP Member
    taurus 92 is good; but, get the CZ

VIP Member
    I have owned a few Taurus's in my life and never had a problem with any of them. One of my main carry is the PT945. Its been a real reliable weapon for me. Never a jam or a stovepipe. I fill this weapon with Carbon DPX+P. A lot of pistols are picky with this round because of the oversize hollowpoint but my Taurus eats them like they are candy!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links