Taurus???

Taurus???

This is a discussion on Taurus??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive been looking at lrage full sized high capacity stainless sa/da 9mm for home deffensehad pretty much settled on the CZ 75, but then it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus???

Taurus???

Ive been looking at lrage full sized high capacity stainless sa/da 9mm for home deffensehad pretty much settled on the CZ 75, but then it occured to me... Taurus so what do you think about the taurus 92?? Is the 99 a better choice because of the adjustible sights?

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Holds 2 more round tha the CZ also and is less money. I've heard good things bout taurus'.

Im open to other suggestions as well.

I own both a 24/7 45 Cal and a 617 revolver (7 shot). They are not the favorites in my stable but both have been reliable guns. You'll get different opinions when you ask about Taurus. My own experience with them has not been bad.

I have two Taurus 85s; both are reliable and have a lifetime warranty.

Senior Moderator
    I own 3 Taurus's, a PT92, PT111 and 605.

All have been good to me with nothing more than the usual problems (ie mag springs and recoil springs wearing out after 5 years)

I use my PT92 for IDPA competitions and have put 3000+ rounds (I really don't know how many but it has been at least 3000) through it.

Taurus got a bad rep early on for poor QA on its products over the past 10 years they have improved dramaticly. They offer a lifetime garunatee but are slow on their service.

I recommend them to people on a budget. Are they as good as a CZ no, they will not retain their value as well as CZ's or Berretta's. Do I trust mine yes, I like my PT92 better and trust it more than the Berretta M9 I was issued.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Isn't taurus basically a cheeper berretta?? Didn't they buy berretta?

Senior Moderator
    No the PT92 is a copy of the Berretta but with a few changes

They PT92 has a frame mounted safety (M9 is slide mounted) modeled after the CZ, so you can carry it cocked and locked or use it DA/SA. The PT92 also has a decocker.

Taurus does not take Berretta mags and they don't own Berretta.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Didn't they buy berretta?
    Whaaaaaaat?!! After fifteen generations in mfg., the Beretta family will NEVER sell their company, especially to a Brazilian owned group like Taurus! Don't say ANY more crazy stuff like that, k?!! Whew...now that I got that outta' my system...

The Taurus line has some really great stuff. I sat down with their Veep of Operations at ShotShow 2007, just after they moved a huge part of their MFG. division to the US. In the past, I've heard lots of complaints about the Taurus line, but that was mostly from snobs and cranky ol' guys that don't respect ANYTHING that doesn't have the name Smith and Wesson on it. Today, the tolerances of Taurus products are par with the best, and they have a lifetime guarantee.

I own a Raging Bull .44 Mag, which is nice. I also have The Judge (.410 AND .45 long) and it is lots of fun, if a novelty of sorts. Finally the PT1911 that I picked up two years ago is about as close to a custom 1911 as you can get without spending thousands of dollars. The trigger is very nice, and it has some great features that 'out of the box' 1911's often don't.

I have heard of a few issues concerning their early revolvers, but the company will make good on any issue that disatisfies a customer. I think you can buy one with a good idea that you're getting a good value.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Sorry... But they did buy Berrettas Brazil plant. Thanks for all the info so far.

To win the Brazilian armed forces order Beretta had to agree to local production of the pistols. Fortunately, the company already had a factory in Sao Paulo , Brazil , producing firearms of Beretta design. This Beretta subsidiary, the Industria e Comercia Beretta S.A., used machinery imported from Italy to make local copies of Beretta’s Model 950 .25 caliber pistol, the 9mm Parabellum Model 12 submachine gun and several shotguns.

I guess this is a technicality, but the difference exists. It just made me shudder to think that you thought that Beretta was owned by Taurus...
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

B52
    Pay the extra money and buy a Beretta or the CZ.

nothing wrong with a taurus i use a pt1911 in comp. it has been 100% ive had a few taurus over the years with no prob. its a good gun but its not a beretta. i have owned both a pt92 and a 92fs (still got the 92fs) and push come to shove the beretta stands out. check the auction sites a lot of beretta 92fs trade ins (police + gov) that can be got at a good price.

VIP Member
    My brother has had a pt 92 for twenty years or so and has had zero problems. I have two Taurus wheelguns and love them. If you liked the CZ 75 and money is the issue look at the EAA Witness. They are very good shooters with a great reputation for about $350 new.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Thought on the adjustible sight as opposed to the fixed sight?

Senior Moderator
    It depends on your use.

I prefer fixed sights on my carry gun, as I point shoot. Less chance of sights snagging with fixed sights

Primary home defence = shotgun
    But obviously a handgun can double as both a home defence AND carry weapon... if the user had a carry permit then the handgun would make the most sensible option.

Also for pistols IMHO, CZ75s are supperiour to anything taurus has... also Bernetta is also a good brand if you were going for a 92FS type thing.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links