Which BUGs do you like or dislike?

This is a discussion on Which BUGs do you like or dislike? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a private citizen only, I have been carrying since 1996. I started with a NAA Mini Mag, moved up to the .32 Guardian, tried ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which BUGs do you like or dislike?

As a private citizen only, I have been carrying since 1996. I started with a NAA Mini Mag, moved up to the .32 Guardian, tried the Keltec .32 and now rotate between a Keltec P-3AT (65%) and Kahr PM-9 (35%). I carry everyday. About 10% of the time I'll add the .45 in an inside waistband, depending on the occasion. Like this time of the year. I shoot all three on a regular basis.

2. Remove Ads

Consider a derringer. They are cheap at just over $100 in most cases, reliable to a fault and can be had in major defense calibers like 9mm, 38 or 45. Something to think about if you want to use one type of ammo in both your main weapon and BUG. You may only get two shots compared to the semi-autos or revolvers, but I'd rather have two shots of 9mm/45 in my pocket than five rds of 22. To borrow a phrase from Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...tachmentid=511
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

You pay $100 for a derringer and it's receiving stolen property. A good derringer like a Bond Arms (with interchangeable barrels) is going to go on the high end of $300. So will a good quality American Arms derringer. The only POS you'll get for $100 is a Davis and mine literally fell apart! However, I've always had a hankering for one chambered in 410 shotgun/45 LC. That would be kewl. Ever since I saw that movie with Charles Bronson where he was a secret service agent guarding the wife of the President....can't remember the name....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Is 9mm better that .22? Most people think so, but you know what, .22 is better than nothing. It will still kill you.

Having said that, when I carry a BUG, it is usually either my Taurus 617B 7 shot .357 magnum, loaded with 125 grain JHP .38 Special +P ammo, or my newly acquired Bersa Thunder .380, with Hydra-shok JHP ammo.

In the winter time, I will sometimes carry my CZ-52 which fires 7.62x25mm FMJ Tokarov. It will go through up to class IIA body armor, which means in Michigan, it will go through most cold weather clothing, that some rounds will not penetrate. And yes, that's exactly why it's a Winter BUG. For those rare occasions when you absolutely must get through.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    You pay $100 for a derringer and it's receiving stolen property. A good derringer like a Bond Arms (with interchangeable barrels) is going to go on the high end of $300. So will a good quality American Arms derringer. The only POS you'll get for $100 is a Davis and mine literally fell apart! However, I've always had a hankering for one chambered in 410 shotgun/45 LC. That would be kewl. Ever since I saw that movie with Charles Bronson where he was a secret service agent guarding the wife of the President....can't remember the name....
    You'll notice I said MOST derringers, not all. With that being said, here in TX, almost all derringers (aside from a few high end makes) you see at the gun shows run from $99-$150 NIB. As for the combo gun, I have one that may interst you. The're made by Cobray in Tennessee, is a .22 over 410/.45Colt and sell for just over a $100. It ain't fancy or particularly pretty, but it works. It's not my choice of a self defense gun, but it would probably make a decent survival/back pack pistol. The sell quite a few at the local shows.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

OD*
    ExSoldier762,

American Derringer has just what you're looking for.
    http://www.amderringer.com/
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Backup for the 45C Vaquero is the Taurus 415ti 41 Mag 5 shot, for the Combat Commander, the P3-AT. Stopping power = shot placement. The BUG should be a center fire, small in both size and weight. The small revolvers are excellent. A BUG can work when the primary goes down, for deeper cover, or everyday socializing, but only if you carry it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I agree with DR on the K9...it's my only carry at this time. I am also considering a BUG like the Kahr MK or PM series. A co-worker has an MK9 and speaks highly of the ease of concealment and reliability.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i seldom carry a BUG with that being said my sig 220 replaces my kahr pm9 as primairy and the kahr goes into a pocket when i feel the need

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a old raven 25 cal.

I like my NAA Guardian .32 or .380 auto. Everyone has an opinion on the "minimum" caliber a secondary (or any gun) should be. But remember folks the 1st rule of a gunfight.

There are just times when ya can't stuff anything but the smallest gun in your back pocket in a wallet holster or go without. I'll take a .32 NAA with Federal Hydra-shok JHPs and a spare mag in my pocket over no gun in those situations any day of the week.

(Coarse, I'd take a Rohrbaugh 9mm if I could afford one)

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i carryed a Walther ppks as primairy/bug as i now do the kahr and did not feel underguned , but the kahr is actualy a bit smaller , more effective round , and at the bottom of the envolope size wise that i can get effective hits with , i tried a kel tech .380 a buddy has and couldnt relyably shoot MOBC ( Minute of Beer Can ) @ 15 yards with it so i did not feel comfortable using it in any role as a defensive weapon , with the walther or the kahr i can easily keep all rounds on a paper plate @ 25 yards , that is more than acceptable to me for a defensive pistol . IMHO you have to not only look at size and caliber but what YOU can shoot well enough to defend yourself with, if that is a 4" k frame S&W revolver then that should be your size threashold , if its a naa mini well go for it ( tho i personaly dont consider them adiquate) its not about Me and what works for Me its about what works for you in your real life circumstances to enable you to be armed with the most effective firearm(s) you can afford and control . I stress the issue of effective realistic accuricy because every round launched will land somewhere hopefully on target, or on a safe backstop .... but with my luck ( just like in the movies ) my little pea shooter would blow up a van load of nuns and orphans if i missed . just food for thought make what ya will of it LOL

My BUG/sometimes only gun is an S&W 640, carried in a $10 Uncle Mikes nylon pocket holster:

Later,
    Jeff.

I carry a little p3at as a bug. Mine functions 100%

Gotta add one more comment. Remember, the BUG is not always the second gun used or the one used if the primary is knocked away, malfunctions, etc. Sometimes the BUG is the convenient gun to use and allows discreet firing, allowing time to draw the primary. As such, the BUG should be of a decent defensive caliber, and should be able to be fired reliably from within a jacket or pants (difficult but possible) pocket. As such, my BUG/sometimes pajama or car washing only gun again is the S&W 640 or even my NAA mini mag (uh, not a decent defensive caliber, but fun nonetheless):

Later,
    Jeff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links