Keltec P11

This is a discussion on Keltec P11 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I been looking at getting one of these for awhile and I saw one on Auction arms for $229.00 shipped,I called a gun store here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keltec P11

Keltec P11

I been looking at getting one of these for awhile and I saw one on Auction arms for $229.00 shipped,I called a gun store here and for a PF9 they wanted $287.00.The P11 holds more rounds 10+1 and can use S&W 59 or 469 magazines that hold 15 and 12 rounds i believe,so I hit the buy it now and hopefully by next week will have pics and range report,I plan on using it when my 1911 is too hard to conceal and as a bug
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I have used my P11 for over 3 years and is a good primary in the summer and backup in the winter. It is reliable except for the longer squared off noses of 147 grain ammo per my testing. The new mags are available for a 12+1 mag that is flush fit with the bottom. Use real S&W mags and it is 100% reliable but after market S&W mags can be hit and miss.

The trigger pull is long, a little heavy (it will never be a true target gun) but very consistent. Perfect size gun for IWB, A-IWB and OWB. Pocket carry does work with the proper pants or shorts.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

What are "after market" S&W mags? Used ones? Or how are they different from "real" ones?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

After market magazines are New magazines made by companys other than the manufacturer,some of them are made with thinner steel and weaker springs etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Moderator
    I chose the Taurus PT111 over the KelTec P-11 mainly for the trigger.

The PF9 trigger is much better than the P-11's
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I choose the Taurus PT111 over the KelTec P-11 mainly for the trigger.

The PF9 trigger is much better than the P-11's
    I'm sure after i work on the trigger and smoooooth it up i'll be sending it in for repair lol,besides price was right 229.00 shipped,gun store here wanted 287.00 pf9 plus 8.25%tax

Congradulations. The P-11 is a fine choice for a CCW, if you are willing to put the effort into learning the trigger. Since you are use to the trigger on a 1911, it will probably be a bit of a shock to you. The P-11 trigger is very long, like a DA revolver trigger. At first, it will feel like it takes forever to break. Because of the length, many people find themselves jerking the trigger in the last quarter inch and therefore shooting low. You have to get use to pulling the trigger straight through like you do on a revolver. It will probably take you a 100 rounds or so to get use to the trigger. Think of the P-11 as a flat J frame.

You can certainly smooth up the trigger. The simplist way is to just use gun grease on the rails ( which the gun prefers to oil anyway). Some of the grease will migrate onto the trigger bar in the right side of the grip and smooth things up. But you cannot change the length of trigger pull without voiding the warrenty. Kel Tec treats the length of pull as the primary safety feature.

Another thing that will be different from the 1911 is the absolute requirement to grip the Kel Tec very tightly as you shoot to give the gun a firm platform to recoil against. Otherwise the slide may simply run out of steam and fail to feed the next round.

Going from a large heavy gun to a small light one does need a bit of a learning curve. It took me months to fully make the transtion. Since then, I've carried a P-11 as a CCW for 12 years now and been quite satisfied with it.

regards- conwic

I've shot a keltec 380 i believe in the past and i know they got the trigger creep of death,but I have loaded about 500 rounds of 9mm to practice with and plan on putting about 4 mags of hst's thru it to make sure they feed ok,I will get to where my finger learns the break,I need to buy a 9mm snap cap so i can dryfire it without messing up the firing pin,my next challenge will be finding a holster that will fit my cargo pocket and allow a fast draw,my right hand is partially paralyzed so i can only use my left hand to draw ,that is why when some people carry oc and blades for backup i don't have the luxury of if the oc is overcome being able to draw my carry piece before being attacked,and my legs are affected preventing me from moving quick,or doing any kind of leg kicks or karate ninjitsu aikido stuff,I can render a loud kiaaaaa but prefer kapow

The length of the trigger pull on a P-3AT is about 2/3's of that on a P-11. The PF-9, P3AT, and P-32 use a different hammer half cocked trigger set up than the P-11 which is a true DAO.

For a holster, an inexpensive Galco pocket holster for a Glock 26 should do OK in a cargo pocket since it has a flat bottom. Be a bit loose, but you can always shrink it with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

I have used cargo pants and shorts to carry my P-11 in the front pocket. Much quicker access and you can have your hand in the pocket and on gun without looking strange. Cargo shorts with deep pockets work great since the exterior cargo pocket obscures the gun's outline, esp if you put a handerchief in the exterior pocket. I find the P-11 a bit big for front pocket carry in cargo pants ( PF-9 works great), but I have had some success having a semestress deepen and reinforce the front pocket and sew the back of the pocket to the seam to add stability. Then the cargo pocket only partially covers the gun, but it still helps break up the out line.

Sorry to hear about your right hand. That does make your task more difficult. You have the right idea with the snap caps. Best thing in the world for learning the trigger.

Good luck- conwic

Awsome, congrats! I used to have a P11. They are great little guns. They used to offer a 12 round magazine for those from Kel-Tec. I'm not sure if they still do or not, but that would be something to look into. 13 rounds of 9mm in that small of a gun is awsome!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The P-11 is my "always" gun. Used to have a clip on IWB holster for it, but I got my smartcarry about three weeks ago, and now I love my Kel Tec even more.
    I usually have My Glock 22 with me as a primary, but it's nice to have the P-11 for "sensitive" situations...
    The trigger pull does take some getting used to, but it's a heck of a straight shooter, and at longer distances than you would expect for such a small gun.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I got the gun and put 50 rounds through it 30 125 grn lrn reloads and 20 124 grn HST,it fed and ejected everything great ,but trigger after first 10 rounds would not reset unless i pulled it to the rear and let it snap forward,looks like keltec will be getting it to fix,That's why it's important to shoot several hundred rounds through a carry gun before you trust you're life with it.As far as trigger pull it's pretty stiff i actually missed the target a couple times at 7 yards and i can usually keep all my shots in the 9 or 10 ring at 10 yards,I just need more practice and maybe some trigger work

Congrats, sounds like a great price. We look forward to the range report and pics.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Can't beat the size that holds 9mm. I might try one too soon.
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    The p11 trigger is awful and makes shooting a pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links