Kel-Tec anybody?

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec anybody? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife is going to be starting to carry in 3 months. I wanted to get her a kel-tec PF9 in a smart carry. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec anybody?

Kel-Tec anybody?

So my wife is going to be starting to carry in 3 months. I wanted to get her a kel-tec PF9 in a smart carry. The primary reasoning for this is that she likes to wear those skimpy clothes (like I am complaining), and so she needs a deep concealment. The kel-tec is the thinnest lightest 9mm that I have laid my hands on...how is it for reliability? Can I trust my wife and daughter's life to a kel-tec? I carry a Glock G33, but I think that it's a little wide for her to smartcarry with how she dresses. What do you guys think about the kel-tecs?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Kel-Tec anybody?
    You buying?

Sorry... couldn't resist!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

LOL Thumper!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    The kel-tec is the thinnest lightest 9mm that I have laid my hands on...how is it for reliability? Can I trust my wife and daughter's life to a kel-tec? I carry a Glock G33, but I think that it's a little wide for her to smartcarry with how she dresses. What do you guys think about the kel-tecs?
    My PF9 with a R6xxxx SN is reliable and from KTOG.org says anything with the R6xxxx and up is reliable.

I have all 4 versions of Kel-tecs and they all work for me. I trust them.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    If you do a search...just in the past 3-4 months...you will multiple threads and discussions on the KelTec. By the way, I have a KT...

Rick

Yes, I believe that the PF-9 is far enough along in production to be quite reliable. Mine certainly is. I've had it for app 9 months now and have over ,1000 rounds through it. I would avoid low serial numbers - under R4xxx - since there was a problem with an ejector pin walking in those early ones. ( Fixed with new frame after R3pxx.) Current production is in the low R9xxx's ( 30,000 plus guns). Lots of R7xxx's and R8xxx's available. If you can, look for a R98xx or higher. These will have the latest changes to the trigger so the hammer will not drop if you short strike the trigger. But anything after R4xxx should be reliable.

I would not , however, recommend a PF-9 , or any very light 9mm subcompact, to anyone who was not an experienced shooter. Issues with recoil and limp wristing could be a problem for beginner shooters with these light weight/high power guns. You need a strong grip for them to function reliably.

Hope this is of help-conwic

I just bought a P11 on auction arms for 229.00 shipped it is LNIB gunshop here had a PF9 for 287.00 plus tax,I like a 9mm over the .380 plus ammo is cheaper,I guess when i get it next week i will post pics and range report,I bought 124 grn hst ammo cause i heard the 147 doesn't feed reliably in keltecs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great guys, thanks for the replies! I am thinking that she should be fine with the PF9. She has some shooting experience, so i don't think the size should be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    So my wife is going to be starting to carry in 3 months. I wanted to get her a kel-tec PF9 in a smart carry. The primary reasoning for this is that she likes to wear those skimpy clothes (like I am complaining),
    I think we might need to see pictures to make sure that smart carry is working right....sorry couldn't help it.

smart carry lets you carry many things, but the tighter the clothes the harder it will be. For guys, seeing a bulge in the privates is not a negative, but ladies don't have that luxury. Go to the gun shop with the smartcarry on and have her model some guns...if it's a guy behind the counter I'm sure he won't mind you try a few out. It's got to fit her well.
    I've found the grip is the hardest thing to keep from printing. Dark pants are my norm along with jeans so I've taken to using an iron on patch about 11 o'clock (I'm a lefty) on some of my thinner material's pants.

your also going to want to make sure she is comfortable sitting and bending over with SC. I find revolvers rounded grips are easier and more comfortable. My Glock 27 is almost as comfortable. Scale 1-10 it's a 9. Now by the time i get up to my xd45 4 inch service model it's about an 8. add a spare magazine and it's a 7 in comfort.

again, any help needed, let me know...i've been using smart carry for over 4 years now. it's pretty much all i use for ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    I think we might need to see pictures to make sure that smart carry is working right....sorry couldn't help it.

smart carry lets you carry many things, but the tighter the clothes the harder it will be. For guys, seeing a bulge in the privates is not a negative, but ladies don't have that luxury. Go to the gun shop with the smartcarry on and have her model some guns...if it's a guy behind the counter I'm sure he won't mind you try a few out. It's got to fit her well.
    I've found the grip is the hardest thing to keep from printing. Dark pants are my norm along with jeans so I've taken to using an iron on patch about 11 o'clock (I'm a lefty) on some of my thinner material's pants.

your also going to want to make sure she is comfortable sitting and bending over with SC. I find revolvers rounded grips are easier and more comfortable. My Glock 27 is almost as comfortable. Scale 1-10 it's a 9. Now by the time i get up to my xd45 4 inch service model it's about an 8. add a spare magazine and it's a 7 in comfort.

again, any help needed, let me know...i've been using smart carry for over 4 years now. it's pretty much all i use for ccw.
    That reminds me of a cop story,there was a bar that was a known hangout for transvestites and this cop sees a drunk guy leaving with a date he knew was a guy in disguise so he stops the guy and says hey buddy you realise that you are with a man ,and the drunk looks him in the eyes dead serious and says I don't care she is boooootiful
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+1 on what conwic said. I have a PF-9 and it does have quite a bit of recoil compared to something like the Kahr PM-9. Try to rent or borrow one for her to try. If she doesn't like to shoot it it won't be practiced with or carried.
    If only the militia can be armed, will the government pick the loyalists or the patriots?

Was it our Founding Fathers intent to let someone like King George pick who can be a militia?

If she is inexperienced handling and maintaining a handgun, I would get her a quality revolver. Less factors affect reliability and they are easer to maintain, clean etc... no worried about faulty primers, limp wristing, finicky ammo etc... a revolver will work practically every time.

In terms or reliability, my Kel Tec 32acp (2nd generation) has reliable for the 200+ rounds of FMJ I put threw it (never was interested in using HP due to the possibility of rim lock and lack of penetration in 32acp ), but I found issues (manually clearing out the last round from chamber with empty mag in well was hard, and my P32's slide was not held back 90% of the time I retracted the slide on a empty gun.)

Any how, I traded the gun... the TRUE test of reliability comes from 1000s of rounds fired IMHO and it has to be consistent (assuming the gun is regularly maintained.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I think the PF9 would be a perfect gun for this setup. I carry my PF9 more than my G27 - just because it is lighter and thinner. And no issues with mine.

VIP Member
    I have a PF-9 and carry it all the time. it is easy to conceal and it goes bang every time. Give her a box or two or three of ammo and let her get used to it. If she has to use it she won't feel the recoil. Rent one for her to try it out. Good Luck and let us know what you and your Wife come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That reminds me of a cop story,there was a bar that was a known hangout for transvestites and this cop sees a drunk guy leaving with a date he knew was a guy in disguise so he stops the guy and says hey buddy you realise that you are with a man ,and the drunk looks him in the eyes dead serious and says I don't care she is boooootiful
    That was my story from cop stories thread.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links