Shot my S&W 640 Today... I am impressed, it's a keeper!

This is a discussion on Shot my S&W 640 Today... I am impressed, it's a keeper! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put 100 rounds of magtec 158gr 38special ( Full Metal Jacket Flat Point) and about 15 rounds of 125gr Federal HS +P... the recoil ...

Thread: Shot my S&W 640 Today... I am impressed, it's a keeper!

I put 100 rounds of magtec 158gr 38special ( Full Metal Jacket Flat Point) and about 15 rounds of 125gr Federal HS +P... the recoil of both felt the same to me and it was more than I was expecting, I can't imaging shooting the 12ounce feather weights (340PD etc) using even this sort of 38special ammo... let alone 357mag!

Any how, I had to get use to the sights for a few rounds, not the type of sights I am use to, but when I shot about 40-50 of the rounds, I was getting better, and I even managed to shoot a 1 1/2" group at 7 yards... considering its a DAO design, I was impressed the gun is plenty accurate, especially in the hands of someone experienced with DA trigger pulls.

I even extended the range to a 20 yards for fun, I was able to hit the torso area without problems a majority of the time. On the "hustage" targets, most of my shooting was done at both 3 and 7 yards using point shooting and at 3 yards I could get 3 heat shots (out of 5 shots fired) on average and all shots hitting torso at the same range... extending it out to 7 yards, I could get torso shots 3 out of 5 shots fired and 1 to 2 shots out of 5 shots fired... when actually traditional aiming methods, I could easily get head shots at 7 yards.

Not sure how heavy the DAO trigger is, but whatever it is I am satisfied, it was rather smooth and consistent and even double tapping was easy.

Purchased a Galco IWB holster (Sto-n-go) but will also look for a pocket holster as well... when ever I am wearing clothing that allows me to untuck my shirt, the Sig will remain as the primary, and the 640 will remain as the BUG... oh ever, when wearing tucked shirt and more formal wear, the 640 will be in the pocket holster (what ever brand I get).

Question, what pocket holster is recommended? I want something that makes the gun less printable, and something that keeps it firmly in place... also, the possibility of drawing the gun WITH the holster attached should be none existent unless done deliberately.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

For a Pocket Holster, take a look at Bob Mika's stuff.

You're a stouter man than me sir. I couldn't handle the 640 with my carry load, so I'm going to the Ruger SP101 to tame the load, after getting rid of the 640.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For a Pocket Holster, take a look at Bob Mika's stuff.

You're a stouter man than me sir. I couldn't handle the 640 with my carry load, so I'm going to the Ruger SP101 to tame the load, after getting rid of the 640.

Biker
    I was thinking of shoot .357mag rounds but wanted to see how the 38specials and +p rounds felt like... IMHO the recoil is greater than my P239 9mm but I guess that's because the recoil spring sucks up some of the recoil where as there is no such thing in a revolver... I don't see myself using .357mags in this, will stick to +p .38s
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Sponsored Links