Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG

This is a discussion on Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's been more than one lock failure reported; usually with the big guns shooting full house loads. That said, I'd put the odds of a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG

There's been more than one lock failure reported; usually with the big guns shooting full house loads. That said, I'd put the odds of a lock failure distantly behind the odds of a semi-automatic failing for any one of the usual reasons. (Why that isn't pointed out more I don't know...)

---

Airweights:

The Airweights are great pistols. When asked which j-frame to get many an afficionado has answered with an Airweight, and for good reason.

They're sights being what they are is the main reason I decided on the 340 M&P. As for the price point... well, my price point was not what was quoted earlier. But folks balking at the retail value of the 300 series should seriously consider the Airweights. You don't give up much; some sight options and the ability (that practically nobody takes "advantage" of or recommends anyway) to shoot magnums.
    God, country, family.

2. Remove Ads

So..I decided after holding a M&P 340 and a 340PD, that the extra 1.9 ounces I save by buying a 340 PD wasn't worth the extra hundred. Plus I get XS Sights instead of the HI-VIZ Light Gathering Sights. Also had an opportunity to really talk to a person that has shot both, extensively with full house loads, and 38 +p rounds and hands down says the Scandium/Titanium(340PD) is much much more UNFORGIVING compared to the Scandium/Stainless(M&P340). So I started thinking...1.9 less ounces? Am I really going to feel those extra ounces? Considering that I carry a G23C as my primary weapon and hardly know it's there weighing in at 32 oz fully loaded. So I feel I made a great choice..it will be here Thursday or Friday..I'm counting the minutes...
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Good choice. Think of that 1.9 ounce figure is a feature, not a detractor, in that you don't have to worry about bullets jumping crimp. And then there is the durable big dot/ U-notch sight arrangement. And the issues with cleanign Ti some have reported. And the savings.

Oh, and once you get it, practice with it as often, or at least nearly, as much, as with your primary. That way you aren't one of those guys walking around trusting your life to a gun you aren't as familiar or competent with as you should/could be.
    God, country, family.

I have an M&P 340 and I LOVE it! When I first bought it, I had a bit of buyers remorse because I didn't think I'd ever want to carry .357's in it due to the massive recoil, but these days, I can easily put 50-75 down range before my hand starts feeling it. It's my favorite gun these days by far

yeah..two more days..Im pretty stoked!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzo View Post
    yeah..two more days..Im pretty stoked!!
    congrats on the good choice! Let us know how those magnums feel after firing a few rounds!

I have a 340 M&P with the "big dot" front sight. It does have substantial recoil. I usually fire about 20 rounds of full load 158gr .357's then switch to .38 spec for about 30 more rounds, then run a brush thru the cylinder and barrell and put the last 5 rounds thru, using 125 gr speer gold dots which is also what I use for defensive loads. This is about all I can tolerate for recoil. I really like this gun and it is what I carry most of the time.
    I am considering some Crimson Trace "Defender" laser grips (LG105). I just don't want to spend the money right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
    I have a 340 M&P with the "big dot" front sight. It does have substantial recoil. I usually fire about 20 rounds of full load 158gr .357's then switch to .38 spec for about 30 more rounds, then run a brush thru the cylinder and barrell and put the last 5 rounds thru, using 125 gr speer gold dots which is also what I use for defensive loads. This is about all I can tolerate for recoil. I really like this gun and it is what I carry most of the time.
    I am considering some Crimson Trace "Defender" laser grips (LG105). I just don't want to spend the money right now.
    Yeah..this really isn't a range gun sorta say..it's pretty much...make sure you can shoot with it, be proficient enough to handle the recoil and know what to expect, and move on. I'm hoping this lil monster will be a sleeper in my front left pocket for most of it's stay with me. I also carry a G23 OWB and a P13 Limited..so I will probably alternate the two or three, and sometimes carry both or all three..LOL... I'm just excited about getting a new piece. Nothing like a new gun to take home..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links