Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG

This is a discussion on Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone chime in and tell me if they like theirs, how the recoil is, what other options could anyone recommend for a BUG. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG

Considering a S&W 340 for my BUG

Can anyone chime in and tell me if they like theirs, how the recoil is, what other options could anyone recommend for a BUG. I need something light and that can be carried in my front pocket easily...I'm thinking about the 340 Scadium, and Titanium silver finish. Maybe the black..not sure yet. Thanks...
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its a great little gun, however a little spendy. If you are sure you want to shoot 357 in that little lightweight gun, go for it. If not, you will just have a really expensive lightweight 38 special. A 642 0r 442 can be had for under 400 if you figure out the 357 is a bit of a handful and you would rather stick with shooting 38.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had one that I got rid of because I could not get my mind off of the internal lock. I have a 60 and a 640 that are not as light as the 340 but they have no IL.

Any j frame would be a great BUG. The 340 is a handful with magnums. Not fun but tolerable, especially in a SD situation when your adrenaline is pumping.

If the IL doesn't bother you than go for it. But like Sixto stated, they are expensive. The 642 and 442 are $250-300 cheaper.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member
    I have the 340 M&P it's a great revolver . Recoil is hard with +P and
    357's. I feel like you will not notice it in a real life situation. The M&P has a front night sight that I like. I practice with 158 gr. 38's and finish with 5 rounds of my carry ammo. The 38's are not bad. I would buy it again , I probably carry it more than anything else.

I like mine. No internal lock. Does have too much kick to be fun to shoot. But, I have a lot of other guns "for fun shooting". This one carries damn well - I'm thinking of buying a 2nd, if I can get a good deal on a used one.

I have a 340sc the silver look one I love it I probabl.y carry it the most. Yes it kicks but I manage to shoot 25-50 rds of full house .357 one or twice a month. I really am not into revolvers but this weapon is a keeper.

I have a 340 PD.
    Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
    The part of the gun that sticks out of the holster,
    (the black finish above the side plate screw),
    where it comes in contact with the pocket,
    will wear off after a while. Mine did after a year.
    S & W refinished it at no charge,
    but the same thing happened 6 months later.
    S & W replaced it with a new 340 PD
    and the same thing happened a year later.
    I had to convince myself, it's a pocket gun,
    not a display gun, so I live with it.
    The weight makes it all worth it.
    I have a pre lock nickel 442 and you CAN tell
    the weight difference in your pocket.
    I tried different bullets in 38 and 357.
    I use 38+P's because follow up shots are faster.
    If I ever have to use it, it will probably be
    at 8 feet or closer, so for me, 38+P is sufficient.
    It's loaded with Double Tap 125's,
    and wears Uncle Mike's boot grips.

Check out this link.

M&p 340 - THR

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    You cant go wrong with that as your BUG. I've carried a S&W j-frame as a BUG since 1994 (and it was used) and it has never failed me. Only thing I did to it was having it turned into a DAO (which the 340 already is) and put a set of CTC Laser Grips on it. My thought on that is when I need a BUG I'll need it bad and the laser helps. Add to that the best ankle holster for a j-frame I've ever found (Renegade) and the both have served me well and protected my bacon on several occasions.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Yeah the cheapest I have found it is $900.00 and I think I'm going to jump on it. I'm geeking..I'm positive I want it now..I've read tons of threads on it after posting it, and I am not worried about the recoil using the MAG rounds as I am 6'4" 325lbs..this is a BUG anyway, so it will drop into my pocket whenever I don't feel like carrying my G23 or when I feel like carrying both..so..I'm going to go put my 40% deposit down to get it in by Friday. I'm excited....
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

VIP Member
    If I had a 340 instead of a 640, I might carry a BUG more often!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I got my 340 M&P here:

Shooters of Jacksonville Online - Model M & P 340

I paid $770 with the factory Crimson Trace 405 grips.

$625 plain.

MARV

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Had my 340CT for over a year and really like it. Easy to conceal with plenty of power. It does kick a bit but its not what I use at the range. A couple of shots in a bad situation probably wouldn't even be noticed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I've purchased a 340 M&P earlier in the year and 500 or so rounds later it has proven to be:

Reliable - the lock has not presented any problems. The lock can be fixed, by the way, so that problems cannot present themselves.

Accurate - Even with the big dot front sight coupled wiht the U-notch rear sight, I can keep a cylinder on an 8 inch paper plate at 25 yards. But... I'm decidedly NOT one of those folks who believe j-frames are meant ot be carried frequently and shot infrequently.

Light - About as light as you can go, with only a few 300 series j-frames weighing in an ounce and a half less.

Small - Its a j-frame.

Easy to carry - It is a size and weight thing. If you cannot find a way to conceal one of these, well, all I can say is that maybe the problem isn't the gun.

Snappy - Small, light guns recoil more than big, heavy ones. I have shot .38+p through mine almost exclusively, but ran a few cylinders worth of .357s through it out of curiousity's sake. The magnums are quite a handful, and I don't recommend them except for perhaps novelty's sake.

Anyway, that's been my experience.
    God, country, family.

I EDC an Airweight 442, Well worth the lower price unless you have to shave off that extra ounce or so or have the sight upgrade. Neither of these, IMO, are worth the extra $$$.

I use the internal lock everyday and have not had an issue with it. For what it's worth, I read somewhere on the great big web that the only lock issue was on scandium J frames shooting .357 and that has been remedied.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links