I dropped my RIA 45 and....

This is a discussion on I dropped my RIA 45 and.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by UtahRSO Glad you're OK. Is the bullet in the floor? Or did it ricochet somewhere? (Or did I miss where the answer ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I dropped my RIA 45 and....

Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    Glad you're OK. Is the bullet in the floor? Or did it ricochet somewhere? (Or did I miss where the answer is already given?)
    I found the flattened copper jacket in the bathtub and 2 lead fragments on the floor the piece In the toilet was a hunk of linoleum,it was a concrete slab floor the bullet impact area measures 1" in circumferense with some linoleum pyshed away from the impact area.I've owned the gun about a year and have probably shot about 1000 rounds through it,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Gosh dang this has me freaked out. Glad you are OK.

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen unless the safety was off, grip safety depressed, and then trigger pulled.

Is this what that 1911 pencil test is for? How about a primer for the thread?
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Gosh dang this has me freaked out. Glad you are OK.

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen unless the safety was off, grip safety depressed, and then trigger pulled.

Is this what that 1911 pencil test is for? How about a primer for the thread?
    No, the pencil test is to make sure that your firing pin safety is working, the RIA mentioned does not have a firing pin safety, nor does it have a heavier spring/lighter firing pin combo that is used to negate a "drop fire"

Even without the firing pin safety or changed components, you need to drop the 1911 just right to get it to fire with the safeties active. Dukalmighty hit the lottery on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    No, the pencil test is to make sure that your firing pin safety is working, the RIA mentioned does not have a firing pin safety, nor does it have a heavier spring/lighter firing pin combo that is used to negate a "drop fire"

Even without the firing pin safety or changed components, you need to drop the 1911 just right to get it to fire with the safeties active. Dukalmighty hit the lottery on this one.
    I agree the gun fell perfectly straight on the muzzle ,I notified Armscor and they are letting the factory know about it in case they need to change anything,I am personally putting in a wolf x power firing pin spring to make sure it never happens again.Not to many people leave the range with loaded guns and those that do don't make a habit of dropping them.The second or two right after the kaboom is the worse cause you don't know where the round went and I was waiting for the blood to start gushing or pain.The primer won't show up very good on the camera but the indentation looks just like the cases i fire at the range.All the safetys work like they are suppose to and I even cocked the gun and dropped it on the carpet from higher than 5 feet and hammer stayed cocked with thumb safety disengaged.I doubt if anybody would repeat the way ny gun dropped but to be safe in 1911's that don't have the block you might want to put a heavier spring in,some guns already come with them my SA 1911-A1 has a spring 3/4 inch longer than the one in the RIA
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Okay, the safety was off. Somehow, somewhere, someway. Otherwise, your slide would not have retracted at all, if the safety was properly fitted, and engaged the slide notch when "on." That is one of its functions- to prevent the slide cycling in the event of UD. That wouldnt appear to have anything to do with a slam-fire, but is something to consider.

I would probably send the gun to RIA. Check your barrel for a stress fracture. If it fell square-on, then fired, cracking the barrel and/or bushing via backpressure isn't inconceivble.

Damn Man... lol

Good thing it wasnt a public bathroom
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but there are two things that are particularly good:

1. Everyone is okay
    2. Ricochet didn't take out the pot.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Right now the gun is completely tore down and being inspected for safety,Until I replace FP spring and range test it I will not carry it,I am carrying my SA 5"1911 -A1 and it conceals just as well in the crossbreed holster.I posted this thread as a warning to people no matter how many safetys you have on a gun,all it takes is a freak accident and a gun can fire,I love my RIA 1911 and the pistol design is very safe,but the way it hit was a 1 in a million shot,that's the only pistol I have ever dropped,I've had guns fall over and hit the ground but they were always unloaded with the actions open.I never realised that there were different strength FP sprinngs and am going to install a wolff x strong one when I reassemble the gun.I'm really careful with guns loaded or otherwise.I'm still kinda shook up a different ricochet or scenario somebody might be seriously injured or killed,I'm just saying be careful and never get complacent when handling a firearm

amen
    go get a lotto ticket and fill in #'s 1911 and 45. If you're gonna be "lucky" might as well make it pay for the floor.

Good thing you don't live in a upstairs apartment!

-mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I notified Armscor and they are letting the factory know about it in case they need to change anything
    Thanks for your story, glad you are ok, and thanks for your work in making sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Holy smokes. Glad you're okay!

It could have been so much worse, thank god you're ok and nobody else was injured.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Wow,Thank GOD no one got hurt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Now you know the reason for the series 80 system. Had the gun been fitted with a firing pin retention system this accident would not have occured. Thank goodness only the floor was killed.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links