New Springfield EMP questions? - Page 2

New Springfield EMP questions?

This is a discussion on New Springfield EMP questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; $929??? I bet the dealer made only marked up about 10%. You got a deal!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield EMP questions?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    $929???

I bet the dealer made only marked up about 10%. You got a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    $929???

I bet the dealer made only marked up about 10%. You got a deal!
    Yes, they had it marked down $100. Just could not resist.

I do own the EMP 9 mm (the .40 cal has just showed up at the dealers)
    Much has already been said with the "Cock and Carry" Start out slow with this issue.. around the house empty.. and then on to the next step. Once you feel comfortable after about 200 draws from your holster. You will most likely be ready for the "Condition One" In regards to the 1911 style weapons one must use the same method "ALWAYS" -when releasing the safety. By this I mean it must be at the same time everytime when drawing this weapon. It must come without thinking on both delivery and when returning to the holster. Otherwise if you release it one time at the holster and the next time when you are ready to actually fire the weapon.. This is no good during a stressfull shootout!! Believe me all these actions must be " in the memory and natural" no time to think! This also makes this weapon safe for you and others. These type weapons have a "sliding type trigger pull" as oposed to a "swing down type trigger pull on a non 1911 weapon. The sliding type pull is a more natural move for the human finger. Not to mention about 3 lbs. less trigger pull and 1/2 the distance.

No inventions here on my part just worth a second go-a-round. on an old subject.

I forgot to mention... Gold Dot has a fairly new type ammo.. "Short Barrel 9 mm +P) This gun is perfect for this type ammo as its barrel length of 3". Most if not all ammo's specs are geared for 4 or 5" weapons. On this short of barrel length there is never a complete powder burn. So Speer has changed the hollowpoint and the powder and (I am told) the primer to get a complete burn and fully open the hollow point. Not to mention the "total bonded type bullet. Yes, this is a +P but it is for personal carry only.. not range ammo (except to see if your weapon will handle)

Take a look at the Speer Gold Dot Site... or even call customer service for their full version and reason for making this first class ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    the Kimber (.45 cal) is marked $50 less than the Springfield EMP (9mm). Admittedly, he has almost the full msrp marked on the EMP, and in the three+ months it's been in stock he hasn't sold one yet. Most of his customers don't care about the difference in the grip size and decide that the overall size/weight differences aren't enough to walk away from the .45 cal. Personally, I really would like to have the EMP in 9mm, but I'll wait until Springfield knocks the price down about 30%.

surv
    The Kimber comes with 1 mag,the EMP comes with 3. The EMP also comes with a mag holster and a belt holster..SO add those prices to the Kimber and it would be more.

Ok..Went to the range today and shoot off about 200 rounds.Some Winchester white box,some Remingtons and 2 mags of Golden Sabers.....the only thing I have to say is that the slide failed to lock back 3 times when the last round was fired,and that was at the beginning.After that PERFECT! She was awesome! I love this gun. It is definately more accurate than I am.It was a change from being used to my G27...I was getting better as I went along....Hopefully I can get back next weekend and fire off some more rounds. I have had a great first experience with it and am very happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pens-66 View Post
    Ok..Went to the range today and shoot off about 200 rounds.Some Winchester white box,some Remingtons and 2 mags of Golden Sabers.....the only thing I have to say is that the slide failed to lock back 3 times when the last round was fired,and that was at the beginning.After that PERFECT! She was awesome! I love this gun. It is definately more accurate than I am.It was a change from being used to my G27...I was getting better as I went along....Hopefully I can get back next weekend and fire off some more rounds. I have had a great first experience with it and am very happy so far.
    It IS a fine little gun! I hope to go the range this week and run a few hundred more rounds through my EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's a non issue, Springfield uses a firing pin which is a lighter than stock firing pin, and a heavier than stock firing pin spring which will prevent the firing pin from traveling without being struck by the hammer.

That may be correct. But how many of the EMPs have you dropped with it cocked and the safety off? I know they are designed for safety. But things tend to happen from time to time when dropped. I have never seen the need for cocked & locked - but that is just me. I can pull the trigger in DA mode just as quicky as I can disengage the safety and pull the trigger. I guess it looks cooler though. But is does present a safety issue.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    That may be correct. But how many of the EMPs have you dropped with it cocked and the safety off? I know they are designed for safety. But things tend to happen from time to time when dropped. I have never seen the need for cocked & locked - but that is just me. I can pull the trigger in DA mode just as quicky as I can disengage the safety and pull the trigger. I guess it looks cooler though. But is does present a safety issue.

Exactly zero, just like in the thread you referenced.

The issue with the RIA mentioned above has nothing to do with the thumb safety, the supposition in this case is that the firing pin itself moved enough to strike the round, the thumb safety has nothing to do with the travel of the firing pin, only the travel of the sear.

I've dropped my 1911s with and without firing pin safeties / changed out springs and pins and never had an issue, I'm not saying it's not possible to occur as the above thread obviously shows it can happen to an unchanged model with no changes regarding "drop fires".

Either way, in my opinion dropping an EMP, or any other Springfield of current manufacture is a non-issue.

If anyone wants to donate one (EMP) for drop testing, I would be more than willing to do it in a controlled setting - then I will test carrying it for a few years just to make sure everthing functions fine.

JD
    Administrator
    If anyone wants to donate one (EMP) for drop testing, I would be more than willing to do it in a controlled setting - then I will test carrying it for a few years just to make sure everthing functions fine.
    This may save you the trouble, it's all ready passed CA's testing of the following criteria.

12125 thru 12133 Handgun Safety testing - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

12128. As used in this chapter, the "drop safety requirement for handguns" means that at the conclusion of the firing requirements for handguns described in Section 12127, the same certified independent testing laboratory shall subject the same three handguns of the make and model for which certification is sought, to the following test: A primed case (no powder or projectile) shall be inserted into the chamber. For pistols, the slide shall be released, allowing it to move forward under the impetus of the recoil spring, and an empty magazine shall be inserted. For both pistols and revolvers, the weapon shall be placed in a drop fixture capable of dropping the pistol from a drop height of 1m + 1cm (39.4 + 0.4 in.) onto the largest side of a slab of solid concrete having minimum dimensions of 7.5 X 15 X 15 cm (3 X 6 X 6 in.). The drop distance shall be measured from the lowermost portion of the weapon to the top surface of the slab. The weapon shall be dropped from a fixture and not from the hand. The weapon shall be dropped in the condition that it would be in if it were dropped from a hand (cocked with no manual safety applied). If the design of a pistol is such that upon leaving the hand a "safety" is automatically applied by the pistol, this feature shall not be defeated. An approved drop fixture is a short piece of string with the weapon attached at one end and the other end held in an air vise until the drop is initiated. The following six drops shall be performed: (a) Normal firing position with barrel horizontal. (b) Upside down with barrel horizontal. (c) On grip with barrel vertical. (d) On muzzle with barrel vertical. (e) On either side with barrel horizontal. (f) If there is an exposed hammer or striker, on the rearmost point of that device, otherwise on the rearmost point of the weapon. The primer shall be examined for indentations after each drop. If indentations are present, a fresh primed case shall be used for the next drop. The handgun shall pass this test if each of the three test guns does not fire the primer.

Nice try though, can't say I blame you, a free EMP would be a sweet deal.

Well now the gig is up - oh well, worth a shot!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    When you say DA, I'm assuming you don't have a 1911 in which case it is a non-issue with you. If, on the other hand you carry a 1911 and no round chambered you don't have much more than a very stubby club to defend yourself with. It's not a matter of "looking cool" it's a matter of whats practical and what has been a proven technique from the battle field to the mean streets of the USA.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I do have a 1911 and carry one chambered. I can still squeeze the trigger and make it go bang with out having it cocked. I am by no means a 1911 expert, so I do not know if all 1911s are DA if not cocked. I see this no different than carrying a revolver that is not "cocked". I would not wrong anyone carrying cocked and locked - just not my cup of tea. It comes down to speed - is it faster just taking the safety off then pulling the trigger - or just pulling the trigger?

JD
    Administrator
    I do have a 1911 and carry one chambered. I can still squeeze the trigger and make it go bang with out having it cocked. I am by no means a 1911 expert, so I do not know if all 1911s are DA if not cocked. I see this no different than carrying a revolver that is not "cocked". I would not wrong anyone carrying cocked and locked - just not my cup of tea. It comes down to speed - is it faster just taking the safety off then pulling the trigger - or just pulling the trigger?
    Most, if not all but the Para LDA 1911s will not fire without a cocked hammer, that's why they're called single action only. The exceptions to the best of my knowledge to this are as noted, the Para LDA, and those 1911s outfitted with the SFS kits from Cylinder and Slide.

Any way...
    Rather than relive the endless, pointless, tiresome debate over which type of trigger is better, lets just get back to the topic shall we gents?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links