New Springfield EMP questions?

This is a discussion on New Springfield EMP questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HI..i had recently picked up a EMP and just fell in love with it.I am new to the CCW of a 1911 style handgun(glock man ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Springfield EMP questions?

New Springfield EMP questions?

HI..i had recently picked up a EMP and just fell in love with it.I am new to the CCW of a 1911 style handgun(glock man here) and was wondering about the whole locked and cocked issue...do I have anything to worry about carrying it this way or is it my 1911 begginer's jitters??? And to other EMP owners,what defensive ammo do you use for carry...thanks alot

2. Remove Ads

124 gr. HST and I carry without a round in the chamber. I'm probably in the minority, but if I ever have the unfortunate task of racking the slide it'll definitely be the 2nd to last sound someone hears. Just hope it's not me.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

cocked & locked will work just fine been doing it for awhile that way ( 30 yrs ) never had a problem other than people seeing it that way and gasping about a loaded gun. Find out what it likes to feed each one seems to be a little different. if you can afford it buy 1 box of several different makers stuff, eg; Ranger T's, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot. These are the 3 I keep mostly and they have good reviews and track records. Good Luck your quest has just begun, unlike your Glock which will digest almost anything the 1911 style may be a little finicky with some ammo.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Really safe carry......that Browning design has been doing fine since 19-oh something!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pens-66 View Post
    ...do I have anything to worry about carrying it this way or is it my 1911 begginer's jitters??? And to other EMP owners,what defensive ammo do you use for carry...thanks alot
    No to the first, yes to the second.

Check out: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html from our reference section.

In 9mm I prefer either Federal 124gr+P HSTs or Winchester 147gr SXTs.

The easiest way to build your confidence in Condition One carry is to carry it around home for a few days cocked, locked and empty chambered. Soon you'll realize that it's not going to fire unless you intend it to - provided you're using a good quality holster.

I've regularly taken naps on the couch with my 1911 on my belt in Condition One and I've still only got the original holes my body came with.

Good choice on the EMP, it's on my list of "someday" guns. Make sure you give us a range report when you get a chance.
    Jack

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Cocked and Locked "always" and Federal 124 gr Hydra-shock JHP.

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

JD
    Administrator
    That's a non issue, Springfield uses a firing pin which is a lighter than stock firing pin, and a heavier than stock firing pin spring which will prevent the firing pin from traveling without being struck by the hammer.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I believe the EMP has a grip safety which helps make a man more comfortable carrying in Condition 1. I carry in Condition 1 w/an XD & have never had any problems. It's like the guys tell you- the gun will not fire unless you pull the trigger. I use C-TAC holsters (made of Kydex) so there is no way that trigger is being pulled & that safety depressed unless I intend to do it.

+1 on the carrying around the house idea.

Looks like I may now go for an EMP.... I was going to go for the PX4 Strom sub-compact, but checked the PX4... since it has the same basic grip & trigger set up and it's too long of a distance for my hand unless I cock it first.... which if I need it in a hurry.. I don't want to have to do.

The EMP , is a perfect fit. So, I would be interested in how you find it when firing it, etc.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The EMP , is a perfect fit. So, I would be interested in how you find it when firing it, etc.
    There's a couple of good range reports here on the forum, my wife got to play with one a while back and wrote up a pretty good review.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...field-emp.html

Well I'm going this afternoon to test it out...I've got about 200 rounds of Winchester and 100 rounds of Remington...We'll see what happens!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I really fell in love with the whole concept of the EMP when SA first announced the release. Imagine, a scaled down grip 1911 that would fit my short beefy fingered grip better than my Kimber Compact. Well, my favorite country gun shop, being both a Kimber dealer and Springfield dealer, had the EMP and Kimber UCII side by side in a display.... the Kimber (.45 cal) is marked $50 less than the Springfield EMP (9mm). Admittedly, he has almost the full msrp marked on the EMP, and in the three+ months it's been in stock he hasn't sold one yet. Most of his customers don't care about the difference in the grip size and decide that the overall size/weight differences aren't enough to walk away from the .45 cal. Personally, I really would like to have the EMP in 9mm, but I'll wait until Springfield knocks the price down about 30%.

surv

I bought a new EMP last month for $929. Had a couple of feed problems with the first 2-3 magazines. After that, she ran great with no problem with three different kinds of ammo. I am waiting for my Crossbreed SuperTuck right now. Will run a few more boxes of ammo through it. Then, I will be carrying my EMP locked and cocked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links