Which Gun to take on rafting trip???

This is a discussion on Which Gun to take on rafting trip??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; don't forget the shot loads!!...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Gun to take on rafting trip???

don't forget the shot loads!!

2. Remove Ads

whw
    One of the best choices for all around, reliable performance under adverse conditions, is one of the 9mm Glocks. Do a search on Larry Vickers and Glock. Good things to say about the 9mm, but not so good on the .45 and .40 calibers.

whw

Depends.

Ya gonna carry IN the raft? Getta a pawn shop queen...snub revolver...in one of these:

BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

Spray with Breakefree at night.

Gonna only carry on land away from the raft?
    Which ever one you really want to ... triple H2O protected in dry bag or box.

What you gonna shoot? CO ain't 'Deliverance' country.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

In my younger day’s I use to do allot of canoeing, and I always packed an AR-7.

22- Caliber 10 shot magazine, semi auto rifle that breaks down into the stock. All weather, and will take a licking a keep on ticking.

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

While Glock is great for self protection against humans and beast alike, the AR-7 would come in real handy should you get stranded in the deep woods for few days. So if I where you, I'd carry the Glock along with a good 4-inch knife and pack the AR-7.

If you are going to be somewhere there is bears and or mountain lions about, maybe a Glock 20 in 10mm might be a better choice for you. Rugged and weatherproof and in a caliber that is almost in .41 magnum territory.
    God bless our troops!

I'm sure I'm repeating what has already been suggested but here goes.

Since you are going to be in an outdoor environment where you may encounter two as well as four legged predators this calls for a Revolver of .357 Magnum and larger size or a 10mm Autoloader.

I'd take either a 41 Magnum with handloads, but a 45 Colt, or 44 Mag will work well too, or a Glock. For withstanding the elements that you may encounter better I'd have to suggest the 10mm "Plastic Gun" but if you select a Round Gun I would most definately recommend Stainless Steel.

Biker

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    One that floats and/or has a lanyard (attached to YOU).
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Just take your M&P it will hold up!!!

Adam

I am not sure I see the wisdom or reason for taking a carry gun on a camping or rafting trip. I would take my lever action Marlin in 45-70 or on the other end of the spectrum a Henry 22 survival gun. The first if I expected to encounter large predators or game. The latter for smaller game and survival. I know if things went south and I was stuck in the sticks I'd much rather have a 22 rifle than any handgun.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

While a Rifle is a great weapon, and my preferred choice if I have to pick just one gun, I still think a handgun is valid in this case due to the ease of carrying and because it is much more likely to be carried when leaving the tent to go "behind those trees to take a dump."

Biker :palmier

Of those listed, M&P. Glock 21 or 30 (SF if you prefer) for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    While a Rifle is a great weapon, and my preferred choice if I have to pick just one gun, I still think a handgun is valid in this case due to the ease of carrying and because it is much more likely to be carried when leaving the tent to go "behind those trees to take a dump."

Biker :palmier
    You might take it but how useful will it really be, if you really need it? Though, warning shots actually do work with many predators, the sound scaring them off. But if it does not, how effective is that .45 going to be against a bear or cougar? Wounding an animal like that creates a major danger not only to you but if it gets away to any human it encounters. Unlike shooting a human threat to stop them, IMO if you shoot an animal you need to kill it dead not let it wander off suffering most handguns are not very effective at killing large animals. If I recall correctly 80% of all human shooting victims live. Thinking of that percentage of animals surviving a shooting is horrendous. A ticked off injured bear will make you wish you were surrounded by armed gang bangers instead. Gang bangers are by far weaker and dumber. That .45 against a bear will be like having a bb gun against those gang bangers. IMO
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I say the M&P unless you want a new one. Then either a Glock 19 or 30. I have both and am an avid Glock person, just because I am familiar with the parts and they are all the same, reliable and tough. I do not discount the M&Ps though and admit they are making an excellent reputation for themselves. They also have the same treatment as far as corrosion resistance.

Sponsor
    You might take it but how useful will it really be, if you really need it?

My 454/45LC Ruger Alaskan will stop any animal I encounter in the wilds of this country or any other. The 454 has been shown to penetrate the full length of a bull elephant in Africa, with solids, and will do it's part if I do mine.

The nicest thing about the Alaskan? It's always on me, unlike a rifle. Survival with a 22? Good idea, but on the Colorado, you aren't likely to be needing survival rifles with other people constantly moving through the area.

The biggest/baddest animal on the Colorado is likely a black bear [ yes, they can get to 500 lbs, but not likely in that particular area ] and the 45acp, 45LC, is plenty for them. Buddy of mine snap shot one [guessed 300 pounds ] from the hip with a Ruger 45LC when they startled each other at about 12 paces in a wash near the Silver King Mine in Superior, Az a few years back as it immediately starting popping with the teeth, and moving toward him. The 45LC hit the right shoulder, he went down, got up and then limped off on three only. Tracked for two days by himself and fish and game, no trace until 15 or so months later, they got a call about this bruin in Globe that had to be shot in ones backyard. It had the injured shoulder [ gimpy ] and was real skinny [ starving, it went to town ]. He didn't attempt to shoot it again when they met, but called fish and game.

As to Cougar, the 45acp, 9mm or 357 will drop them pretty quick. Thin/soft skinned animals will succumb to the right load in those calibers, but then you'll have to spot one before it leaps on you to get to use any of them.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    i wouldnt hesitate to carry an XD
    Nor would I. In fact I take one wherever I go!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links