Which Gun to take on rafting trip???

This is a discussion on Which Gun to take on rafting trip??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr You might take it but how useful will it really be, if you really need it? My 454/45LC Ruger Alaskan will ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Gun to take on rafting trip???

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You might take it but how useful will it really be, if you really need it?

My 454/45LC Ruger Alaskan will stop any animal I encounter in the wilds of this country or any other. The 454 has been shown to penetrate the full length of a bull elephant in Africa, with solids, and will do it's part if I do mine.

The nicest thing about the Alaskan? It's always on me, unlike a rifle. Survival with a 22? Good idea, but on the Colorado, you aren't likely to be needing survival rifles with other people constantly moving through the area.

The biggest/baddest animal on the Colorado is likely a black bear [ yes, they can get to 500 lbs, but not likely in that particular area ] and the 45acp, 45LC, is plenty for them. Buddy of mine snap shot one [guessed 300 pounds ] from the hip with a Ruger 45LC when they startled each other at about 12 paces in a wash near the Silver King Mine in Superior, Az a few years back as it immediately starting popping with the teeth, and moving toward him. The 45LC hit the right shoulder, he went down, got up and then limped off on three only. Tracked for two days by himself and fish and game, no trace until 15 or so months later, they got a call about this bruin in Globe that had to be shot in ones backyard. It had the injured shoulder [ gimpy ] and was real skinny [ starving, it went to town ]. He didn't attempt to shoot it again when they met, but called fish and game.

As to Cougar, the 45acp, 9mm or 357 will drop them pretty quick. Thin/soft skinned animals will succumb to the right load in those calibers, but then you'll have to spot one before it leaps on you to get to use any of them.

Brownie
    454/45LC Ruger Alaskan is a great handgun for you bigger guys but lots of us or at least me a rifle like my 45/70 is hander and easier to carry. As far as depending on a .45 this story from another thread is as good as any I can tell about why a .45 is not the best idea
    Man survives struggle with black bear in Oregon leaving an animal wounded is against everything I believe in. That they are than deadly animals to anyone that encounters them is right on the top of the list of why that is a bad idea. Imagine if that starving bear came upon a little kid? Not to mention simple ethics. If I shoot it it is dead, no matter what it takes
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    LongRider,

I agree with your assessment that not everyone can shoot one of those hand cannons. I'm probably in that camp for the most part as well. I don't like the recoil, it's punishing to me at the very least. I use the 45LC loads and don't shoot the 454's but rarely, and then only to remember I don't like that much.

I think that handgun on me and accessable immediately at anytime on my hip is going to be more reliable should I need that horsepower when startled than a rifle would be. Too many sportsmen visiting in the wild have learned the rifle isn't always with them, and that determines [ do I have it when I need it ] what I would choose, though I agree with your consensus that the rifle in the big bore calibers would be eminently preferred.

Hawk [ my buddy ] didn't shoot again once the bear showed no further aggression toward him as the state takes great pains to charge people criminally who kill them out of season. This happened 8 miles from the nearest civilization or improved road deep into the wilderness of the Superstition mountains where the mine is located. He lives full time there in conditions similar to the original miners of the late 1800's.

The state authorities were okay with not killing it once it was no longer an immediate threat. A search team turned up nothing in 48 hours. While I agree that a wounded bear is bad ju ju for everyone anywhere and not something that's pleasant to think about, the alternative is to suffer an intensive investigation of your actions, likely be charged criminally, and the costs assoc with attys to represent you.

If the state were not so aggressive in their prosecution of these types of actions, he'd have taken it down and the 45LC would have been able to do that. His bullet broke the shoulder. State wildlife and federal wardens are quite aware of his living in that environ, visit him up there often snooping around for signs of just this sort of thing. All in all, he wanted to take it, knew it was the right thing to do, but actually did the right thing legally in this state.

I once asked a warden who comes into the shop what would happen if I took the mountain lion who winters in the wash down back on my property [ I've seen him twice ]. He told me without a tag, and in season, even if that cat was after the horse I'd have authorities all over me wanting to charge me criminally. Would I likely get off? He said "perhaps", but the cost of the atty fees would be extensive. I haven't thought about taking the cat since.

Here's a picture of the mining area back in the late 1800's to give you an idea of the terrain.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Good points all, no disagreement here

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    LongRider,I think that handgun on me and accessible immediately at anytime on my hip is going to be more reliable should I need that horsepower when startled than a rifle would be.
    You'd have to see me with one of those cannons to see the absurdity of me carrying it. Seeing me, quick access is not something that would come to mind Hip carry it not an option if I want to bend my knee so it has to be strapped across my chest. Just to plain cumbersome. For me a rifle is just handier so I have gotten the habit of grabbing the rifle when I get up or having it within reach. As you must know if you are attentive you can smell bear and especially cougar before you see them, so that helps not always but most of the time.

While I agree that a wounded bear is bad ju ju for everyone anywhere and not something that's pleasant to think about, the alternative is to suffer an intensive investigation of your actions, likely be charged criminally, and the costs assoc with attys to represent you.

If the state were not so aggressive in their prosecution of these types of actions, he'd have taken it down
    Goes to prove I don't know every law in every state. Another good reason to know where your feet are. That said those are about some of the dumbest laws I have ever heard off why they would think it is OK to shoot and not kill is beyond me. I mean if a shoot is justified than a killing is justified. That applies to all kinds of dangerious animals two legged and four
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Time to expand
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links