Sig Sauer P229 for CCW?

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P229 for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, does anyone use one. It doesnt seem too heavy for its size. I shot one at the local rental range and it was amazing. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P229 for CCW?

Sig Sauer P229 for CCW?

Hi, does anyone use one. It doesnt seem too heavy for its size. I shot one at the local rental range and it was amazing. I shot it much better than my Glock 23, which bothered me, cause I have had my G23 for a while now. But it fits my hand as good as my 1911's maybe a little better in fact.

Anyway, does anyone CCW with this pistol? I have been using my Glock 23 with an IWB rig and it hides fine under a tshirt. Im very broad shouldered and my shirts drape out nicely. It seems about the same size as my G23, slightly bigger and a little heavier, if I can do one I feel I can do the other.

Just wanted to ask here and see what others who CCW this pistol have to say.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The 229 is an excellent concealed carry gun. There are many people here that carry one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 1911izKing View Post
    Hi, does anyone use one. It doesnt seem too heavy for its size. I shot one at the local rental range and it was amazing. I shot it much better than my Glock 23, which bothered me, cause I have had my G23 for a while now. But it fits my hand as good as my 1911's maybe a little better in fact.

Anyway, does anyone CCW with this pistol? I have been using my Glock 23 with an IWB rig and it hides fine under a tshirt. Im very broad shouldered and my shirts drape out nicely. It seems about the same size as my G23, slightly bigger and a little heavier, if I can do one I feel I can do the other.

Thanks in advance.
    I have found Sigs to be more accurate than just about all the factory semi autos I have shot... even my compact P239 can out shoot the larger competition, crazy accuracy is one of those qualities I have found in the Sig pistols.

If I were to get a double stacked gun, it would be the P229... it's looks a tad larger than my P239 (single stacked = thinner) and that has been comfortable to carry (in the cross draw posstion)... never even had any issues concealing the bigger P220 (which is similar in size to a P226)... so if you were able to carry the a duty sized glock, the P229 should be similar.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I carry a P220 full size on occasion. Where there's a will, there's a way. Never let anything stop you from doing what you need to do.

Sort of thick and heavy...

I have had a Sig P229 in .40 for about 7 years, and it is one of my favorite guns. It has been absolutely reliable, has a wonderful trigger, and is more accurate in my hands than almost any other semiauto I have shot.

I have tried carrying it a few times, and have always come to the conclusion that it is a little heavier and thicker than I prefer for carry. The gun weighs about 32 ounces empty, compared to 24 ounces for the Glock 23 you mentioned, and the Sig is about 1.3 inches thick compared to about 1.0 inches for the Glock.

So although I use the Sig frequently at the range and enjoy shooting it, I find that over the years I preferentially carry something smaller and thinner, such as an aluminum frame 1911, a Sig P239, a Glock 23 or a snubby revolver. But if you can carry the P229 comfortably, I'm sure the gun would serve you well.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Don't mean to steal the thread,but:

What type holsters do you guys carry your P229 in? I use a Don Hume OWB but am interested in opinions.

Peep my avatar. I have been carrying the Sig P229 SAS for about a year now. For a few years befor that I was carrying the Sig P229R-DAK. I carry with a Galco OWB in the 3:30 or 4:00 position. I have never had any problems with printing. Having said that my Wife's 239 is more comfortable to carry, but I find the 229's capacity more comforting.-Jay

Lead Moderator
    The 229 is carried very successfully by a number of Federal agencies. I prefer my 239 since it's a little smaller and lighter, and will take the 229 over my 226, which to me is more like a "field" gun. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be checking out a 220 to see where it will fit into the mix.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I carry a P239...mainly because I have small hands.... the 229 just didn't feel comfortable. Though now that I've been shooting for a while maybe I'll try a friends again and see how I like it.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Thanks for all the replies. My brother told me this morning, thats its all about a good belt and holster. He uses, Rafters and Ken Null and Milt Sparks gear for his carry guns. He carried for years and usually ran with an all steel 1911, Beretta 92 or Browning Hi Power. His feelings are, get a good belt and holster and the 229 will hide fine. :D

So Ill try it out.

Administrator
    You'll do well with a 229, but it will feel like a brick for a few days compared to your G23, and your brother is correct.
    "Just blame Sixto"

that's one of my carries

I love my 229, it hides quite well, I have a safariland iwb it SUCKS!!! saving my pennies to get a Supertuck for it. it's a little cheaper to feed then my kimber, but what the heck 12 rounds of 40 in the mag, one in the tube and 12 more rounds in a spare mag hallalujah!
    in the right hoster and the right belt, not much difference in weight as a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911izKing View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I carry my P229/.40 mlost of the time...in all weather both IWB and OWB. However, there are times where I carry my P239/.40 (usually in a suit)--due to the slimmer profile of the P239.

The P229 is a great weapon to carry.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I just got a SIG P229 SAS about a month ago, and once my holster arrives will be carrying it IWB.

The only concern I have when compared to the Glocks I usually carry is thickness. According to the published specs, Glocks are 1.18" wide vs. 1.5" for SIGs. The added weight, about 9 ounces or so, isn't a big concern for me.

For carry, I use Liger Gun Belt with Milt Sparks holsters (Watch Six or Versa Max).
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I carry my 229/.40 every day. I have an HBE Protuck TL. Just yesterday I wore it with shorts and a t-shirt, and I even have the "sticky" Hogue grips. When I stand up from sitting I have to pull my shirt off the grip, but I had to do that with the factory ones too. The only person that ever "made" me was a fellow gun enthusiast.

I love my 229. It is by far my favorite gun. And with the Hogue grips, it almost feels like it's a part of my hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links