Defensive Carry banner

Summer Gun/Winter Gun

6K views 60 replies 44 participants last post by  Slabsides45 
#1 ·
I'm trying to narrow the field of carry guns I own. In short, I need to pick two and stick with them.
The criteria is as follows:
  • Both guns are for carry/self defense only
  • One gun for summer carry. Its hot here. Temp's in the 90's and humidity in the 90% range aren't uncommon.
  • The winter months are usually cold enough for a fleece type sweatshirt. A coat is worn just a few months out of the year.
  • .38 special is the minimum caliber. Anything that is this size or larger is acceptable.
  • Double actions are preferable. I love the single action of the 1911 for competition, but I'm afraid of an accidental discharge if the pressure was really intense.
  • I'm impressed with designs that make things simple. The simpler the better.
I'm flexible on methods for carry. IWB and pocket holsters are most used in my daily travels.
Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions on which two handguns you would settle with.

thanks,
whw

See less See more
#4 ·
This is my setup.

SUMMER
J frame .38 spec. My SW 442 works well in a Mikas pocket holster. I load it with Speed Gold Dot short barrel 135 gr JHPs.

WINTER
Glock in your favorite size/caliber. In my case, a Glock 26 with various holsters. In your situation, I'd go with either the compact (G19/23, etc) or subcompact (G26/27, etc).

Try some of these out if you can borrow or rent them at a gun range to see what works best for you. If you find something that you're not happy with, you won't carry it.

#13 ·
Thanks bluelineman. I'm currently carrying a 642 for the summer and a Glock 19 during the cold months. I'm a little concerned with changing platforms twice a year and think I might need to adopt 1911packer's philosophy of one gun carry all year. Simplicity helps reduce the frequency and severity of mistakes.

thanks,
whw

#5 ·
Summer--G27 or G19 IWB. Winter--G22 or G17 OWB. I also like to carry the Sig P220 OWB winter time when I feel the need for the 45. I always carry and extra mag for that one.

#7 ·
Summer carry: light, and resists rust and moisture - Glock 26 or 27.
Winter carry: as large as possible and still be concealable - Glock 19 or 23.

IMO: Glock 19 or 23 can do both.

#25 ·
Exactly, I carry a 19 or 17 year-round but if you have to have a small/light gun for summertime, I'd go with the 26.

So, to answer the question...get a 19 and a 26.

#10 ·
Guns are like tator chips, you can't eat/have just one, or two, or three, or four. :image035: You need one for all seasons and occasions like bowling, fishing, hunting, working on the car, mowing the lawn, molesting the farm animals, etc.. :22a: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Guns to a man are like shoes to a woman - you absolutly must have a different gun for each outfit or occasion!!! Well --- that and the voices from the mothership keep telling me to buy more! So why fight it. :hand5:

:danceban: :danceban: :danceban:

#11 ·
Summer - Kahr CW9
Winter - Bersa Hi Cap 40 or Sigma VE40

I'm comfortable with DAO or DA/SA. The Kahr is the way to go in summer because it's so light and compact. Also made up of only stainless or plastic so there's no rust concern.

#15 ·
Summer or winter, a 1911 OWB belt slide or a Glock 17 IWB Rocket Man Kydex.
Hides well under a T-shirt with shorts, and hides well under winter attire.
If you prefer DA to SA, then I can recommend the Para Ordnance LDA. Sweetest DA pull I've ever used!

#18 ·
For me it is the same carry weapon during all four seasons and holsters from K&D. An XD45 compact with a Dakota Defender IWB. During jacket weather I will use same pistol with an Eagle Defender OWB.
Mike

#19 ·
Kahr CW9 for winter/most other times; Kahr PM9 for really hot summer days. DAO, exact same manual of arms, and if you get an open-end holster, you can use the same holster for both guns.

#21 ·
Summer: Ruger LCP .380 in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster or a Smith and Wesson 642 in either a Desantis Nemesis Pocket Holster or an Avanti IWB Holster

Winter: H&K P2000 9MM LEM in either a Allessi CQC OWB Holster or a Kramer IWB Holster

This is subject to change depending on what I'm wearing.

#28 ·
It's not about summer or winter to me, and so far I can easily carry a full sized service weapon (P220) on a reasonable hot day, as long as my shirt is out I am fine.

Need a pocket holster for the J-frame though.

#30 ·
What a great question!

In the summer, I carry the Ruger LCP .380, and in the winter, a CZ-75 PCR Compact 9mm, both in special carry fanny-paks.

#31 ·
#32 ·
Same gun a year 'round down here in hot/sunny FL. Kahr K9 IWB.

I do prefer the Seecamp in a pocket at the beach or by the pool though.

#37 ·
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It looks like the Glock 26 and 19 are the favorites for hot and cold weather respectively. I think I'll stick with the majority on this one, while using the 642 as a bug.
Now I will start the dreaded quest for the perfect holster.

thanks,
whw

#40 ·
I've used a similar set-up the last few years. My 642 did all the hot weather work and the Glock 19 seemed better suited for cold weather.
I think I would really like the Springer EMP, but $1,000 is a lot of money to hand across the counter.

whw

#39 ·
Let's see...
In the winter, when it's very warm, I always carry my Kimber Ultra, except on my Harley...then it's my Glock-36.

In the summer, when it's very hot, I always carry my Kimber Ultra, except on my Harley...then it's my Glock-36.

Pretty simple...:yup:

Stay armed...narrow your choices...stay safe!

#43 ·
Well, I carry the same gun winter or summer. A Glock 23.

It conceals easily, it won't rust (I wear it when I ride my bike like I did this last weekend, 95+ degree temps, high humidity, and I have had to shake sweat out of it after long rides in the summer heat. Still no rust. Not a hint of it).

There are hundreds of choices of holsters for it, I think everyone makes a holster for the Glock 19/23, and there are tons of after market parts for it.

Why have a summer gun and a winter gun when you can have a gun for all seasons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.