Summer Gun/Winter Gun

This is a discussion on Summer Gun/Winter Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to narrow the field of carry guns I own. In short, I need to pick two and stick with them. The criteria is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summer Gun/Winter Gun

Summer Gun/Winter Gun

I'm trying to narrow the field of carry guns I own. In short, I need to pick two and stick with them.
    The criteria is as follows:
    • Both guns are for carry/self defense only
    • One gun for summer carry. Its hot here. Temp's in the 90's and humidity in the 90% range aren't uncommon.
    • The winter months are usually cold enough for a fleece type sweatshirt. A coat is worn just a few months out of the year.
    • .38 special is the minimum caliber. Anything that is this size or larger is acceptable.
    • Double actions are preferable. I love the single action of the 1911 for competition, but I'm afraid of an accidental discharge if the pressure was really intense.
    • I'm impressed with designs that make things simple. The simpler the better.

I'm flexible on methods for carry. IWB and pocket holsters are most used in my daily travels.
    Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions on which two handguns you would settle with.

thanks,
    whw

2. Remove Ads

Since you like simplicity, you may be a revolver man at heart. There are any number of 2 gun combinations for you. A good choice might a K frame S&W and a 2-1/4" Ruger SP101.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Summer= xd40 most of the time
    Winter/Fall= xd45 acp
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    This is my setup.

SUMMER
    J frame .38 spec. My SW 442 works well in a Mikas pocket holster. I load it with Speed Gold Dot short barrel 135 gr JHPs.

WINTER
    Glock in your favorite size/caliber. In my case, a Glock 26 with various holsters. In your situation, I'd go with either the compact (G19/23, etc) or subcompact (G26/27, etc).

Try some of these out if you can borrow or rent them at a gun range to see what works best for you. If you find something that you're not happy with, you won't carry it.

Summer--G27 or G19 IWB. Winter--G22 or G17 OWB. I also like to carry the Sig P220 OWB winter time when I feel the need for the 45. I always carry and extra mag for that one.

Down here in GA, it can be hot and humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter, so:
    Summer - Full size 1911 IWB.
    Winter - Full size 1911 IWB.

Same gun, same place, all the time. I don't think my reaction time is fast enough to remember what I am carrying where, so I keep it simple.

Summer carry: light, and resists rust and moisture - Glock 26 or 27.
    Winter carry: as large as possible and still be concealable - Glock 19 or 23.

IMO: Glock 19 or 23 can do both.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

summer - glock 19 OWB or IWB, 642 in pocket or glock 26 in pocket (in that order of preference).
    winter - glock 17 OWB (and now since I have a glock 20, I may also carry that OWB in winter).

edited to add: working out at the gym: 642 or glock 26 in a smart carry

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Down here in GA, it can be hot and humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter, so:
    Summer - Full size 1911 IWB.
    Winter - Full size 1911 IWB.

Same gun, same place, all the time. I don't think my reaction time is fast enough to remember what I am carrying where, so I keep it simple.
    Hello 1911packer,
    Thanks for the feedback. How do you carry the 1911 during the scorching Georgia heat?

thanks,
    whw

Guns are like tator chips, you can't eat/have just one, or two, or three, or four. You need one for all seasons and occasions like bowling, fishing, hunting, working on the car, mowing the lawn, molesting the farm animals, etc..

Guns to a man are like shoes to a woman - you absolutly must have a different gun for each outfit or occasion!!! Well --- that and the voices from the mothership keep telling me to buy more! So why fight it.

Summer - Kahr CW9
    Winter - Bersa Hi Cap 40 or Sigma VE40

I'm comfortable with DAO or DA/SA. The Kahr is the way to go in summer because it's so light and compact. Also made up of only stainless or plastic so there's no rust concern.

Summer and Winter Kahr P9 with 124 Grain Remington "Golden Sabres". This weapon is small enough in the summer to be comfortable. Man it gets hot and humid in SE Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    This is my setup.

SUMMER
    J frame .38 spec. My SW 442 works well in a Mikas pocket holster. I load it with Speed Gold Dot short barrel 135 gr JHPs.

WINTER
    Glock in your favorite size/caliber. In my case, a Glock 26 with various holsters. In your situation, I'd go with either the compact (G19/23, etc) or subcompact (G26/27, etc).

Try some of these out if you can borrow or rent them at a gun range to see what works best for you. If you find something that you're not happy with, you won't carry it.
    Thanks bluelineman. I'm currently carrying a 642 for the summer and a Glock 19 during the cold months. I'm a little concerned with changing platforms twice a year and think I might need to adopt 1911packer's philosophy of one gun carry all year. Simplicity helps reduce the frequency and severity of mistakes.

thanks,
    whw

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Summer - Kahr CW9
    Winter - Bersa Hi Cap 40 or Sigma VE40

I'm comfortable with DAO or DA/SA. The Kahr is the way to go in summer because it's so light and compact. Also made up of only stainless or plastic so there's no rust concern.
    Thanks for the feedback. You and Matdicdad recommend the Kahr. I have looked at this pistol for quite awhile but I'm always scared off by the qc issues I read about. Have you had good luck with yours?

thanks,
    whw

Summer or winter, a 1911 OWB belt slide or a Glock 17 IWB Rocket Man Kydex.
    Hides well under a T-shirt with shorts, and hides well under winter attire.
    If you prefer DA to SA, then I can recommend the Para Ordnance LDA. Sweetest DA pull I've ever used!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links