Availability problems with Kahr P9?

This is a discussion on Availability problems with Kahr P9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Checked with my local supplier this a.m. asking about the price of a Kahr P9. It's an admittedly small shop. I listened in while he ...

Checked with my local supplier this a.m. asking about the price of a Kahr P9. It's an admittedly small shop. I listened in while he called his supplier. The supplier said she'd had P9's on order for more than a year! Anybody have the "skinny" on this availability issue? I know the CW 9's have been selling like hotcakes. Did Kahr set aside production on other slower selling models?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Checked with my local supplier this a.m. asking about the price of a Kahr P9. It's an admittedly small shop. I listened in while he called his supplier. The supplier said she'd had P9's on order for more than a year! Anybody have the "skinny" on this availability issue? I know the CW 9's have been selling like hotcakes. Did Kahr set aside production on other slower selling models?
    I also buy from a very small dealer who has a hard time getting almost anything Kahr makes. He has "surmised" (fancy word for an educated guess) that they make production runs, because depending on the time of year his supplier is flush with one type of Kahr or another. Right now the whole CW line is easy for him to get, about this time last year he was pushing the metal (M/MK) guns.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Did Kahr set aside production on other slower selling models?
    I suspect Kahr is running the p9/40 less than the cw , pm, or any of the .45 lines right now due to demand . However you stated
    I listened in while he called his supplier. The supplier said she'd had P9's on order for more than a year!
    and i call BS on the more than a year statement . P9s are too easily available, and frankly the price for them does not reflect a pistol that has been out of production for a year . IMHO get online and shop around , do your buy and a transfer to a local dealer , you will likely break even if not save money that way anyway . As a side note if your going Kahr of any variety dont try and save $$ on aftermarket mags , they simply dont work well as far as i have seen , and besides after i bought a p7 ( and up to 6 mags now ) hk kahr mags look cheap lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Kahr may have put certain models on the back burner for now, so they can put out a huge supply of their new P380s for its initial run.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO if you have any sense at all you dont buy " initial runs " of either Kahr or Kel-tec . Both company's tend to use buyers as " beta testers " . I am sure almost all do but kahr and kel-tec bring out unproven and off spec designs more than most .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Checked with my guy; can order a P9 and have it here Thursday; guys' a lot of internet hype floating in this thread, including companies using us as beta testers. Companies want to make money, they try to limit development/marking costs, however, they have to have some success on the launch so they don't send out junk to figure it out. It's all a balancing act with the launch of any new item. Some launches are rushed because marketing departments feel there's an opportunity that may slip if they're not quick to market. I think all of the companies that try to be "quick to market" will send out some green designs. Some companies tend to be more conservative.

Considering the overall success of the KelTec P32 and P3AT and the Kahr products I'd say they've managed well and I've had experience with KelTecs warranty service which was the best I've ever experienced.

So...call around because some folks can get the P9 just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO if you have any sense at all you dont buy " initial runs " of either Kahr or Kel-tec . Both company's tend to use buyers as " beta testers " . I am sure almost all do but kahr and kel-tec bring out unproven and off spec designs more than most .
    Good point Redneck, I think waiting a year is a good idea so that all of the kinks can be worked out of any new pistol fresh on the market.

I don't have the money nor the time to be someone's token R&D person.!
    God bless our troops!

They had them in stock when I looked at them at Cabela's and sportsmen warehouse.

Telling you they've been trying to get them for a year sounds like someone is just yanking your chain to get you to buy a different gun.
    Glock 19

Thanks, guys. I'll do some more checking around. Don't need any more mags, Redneck. I've already got a bunch of factory mags for my K9. Just sorta got the urge to buy a polymer gun to keep the other company.

got a p9 about 2 months ago...no problem ordering from supplier...got here in about 2 weeks....do the internet thing/transfer....you're going to love the gun!!!!
    Colonel

Working for the railroad is like:
    Playing in the Superbowl everyday, winning the game, and still having practice tommorrow.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Just make sure you break it all the way down frequently to clear fouling that occurs where the striker travels. My p40 refused to fire for me because I hadn't done this.

Links