picked up a Beretta 21A today

This is a discussion on picked up a Beretta 21A today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this used Beretta 21A .22lr at the local shop today. Not much for self defense, but a cool little gun I couln't pass up. ...

Thread: picked up a Beretta 21A today

picked up a Beretta 21A today

Found this used Beretta 21A .22lr at the local shop today. Not much for self defense, but a cool little gun I couln't pass up. Anyone else have one??
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Have one. Fun and cheap to play with.

Mine seems to like CCI's best.

Like the tip up barrell.

Hope you enjoy it.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I have one in the inox finish.....gee, it looks like stainless steel.....see what it likes to eat before you carry it with you a lot. I had to polish the feed ramp like a mirror on mine...........good luck with it, fun to shoot.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I got one!

It likes CCi stingers and mini mags. I like it alot. Shoots great and is reliable. My favorite "fun" gun. I just can't afford to shoot larger calibers much these days.
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

got two and i love them. fun guns to shoot,,,cheap too. make good pocket guns. but my two like different ammo,,,don't know why. never had any problems with them after i found what ammo they liked. i also got a 25 acp jetfire, it was my pocket gun in the 80's.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I had a Tomcat that was fun to shoot. You've got to love the tip up barrel design. Makes it real easy to render it safe.

the best cheapest mini you can buy, besides NAA of course !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

have had one for years,can't remember any problems.it is a "sometime carrygun".I figure 6 rounds of 22 in the eye/nose area of a BG will slow him/her down enough for me to leave. jwr

Quote Originally Posted by OzarksMagic View Post
    It likes CCi stingers and mini mags. I like it alot. Shoots great and is reliable. My favorite "fun" gun. I just can't afford to shoot larger calibers much these days.
    I love mine. Like OzarksMagic said, CCI stingers and mini mags work best. Mini mags seem flawless whereas the other "bulk" .22LR stuff will jam here and there. Stick with the Mini mags and you'll have a blast! Also try out some of the snake shot (load one at a time through the pop-up barrel).

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    does the 21A have the "safety pin" type recoil springs - one on each side under the grips?

If so, and you plan to keep the gun long term (and should), get an extra set of springs and extra set of grips to put back. If it uses the safety pin type springs, the grips will have "keepers" molded in as spring retainers. Over the long haul, the plastic will wear on the inside of the grips and allow spring movement, as well as the springs themselves will weaken anyway with time. Also, add an extra firing pin and spring for "insurance", and you should have a lifetime+ of fun.

A few years ago I found a 1953 model (my birth year) Beretta 950, chambered for 22 shorts only. Man, I was stoked. The spring on the left side was way too weak causing some malfunctions. The firing pin was also worn down to "light strike" conditions. After a bit of searching I discovered Bob's Gun Parts in Arkansas had the springs, firing pin and firing pin spring available, but no grip sides. My grips were worn down to nearly flat on the inside, so the springs weren't completely secure. I did get the springs, firing pin and pin spring and got the gun back to fair condition, but with the grips unable to secure the springs properly the gun just was not going to be a keeper. It's a shame that the whole gun was so dependent on molded plastic type parts that were near impossible to locate at the time.

Good quality guns that will be subjected to many thousands of rounds in their lifetime deserve to have spare parts available for those subject to wear. (I need to follow my own advice and start loading up on parts)

Links