YOUR ADVICE: DW CBOB vs. CC XSE

This is a discussion on YOUR ADVICE: DW CBOB vs. CC XSE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I narrowed my CCW choice to one of two 1911 .45s. The Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and the Colt Commander XSE SS. The Wesson is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I narrowed my CCW choice to one of two 1911 .45s. The Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and the Colt Commander XSE SS. The Wesson is retailing at $1,110, and the Colt is retailing at $1,060 (California prices, and difficult to find either gun).

The Wesson has throating, bevelling, flaring the ejection port, and night sights included in the price (the Colt does not). The Wesson
    is more concealable due to the rounded grip, and sleeker profile. The only negatives that I can find are that it is one of the tightest .45s made (reliability?), and there are reports of ejection problems (2005) with the ejected brass hitting shooters in the face. The gun is sold with a 7-round magazine (7+1).

The Colt fits well in my hand, and has an 8-round magazine (8+1). It also has a much looser fit, reducing the likelihood of a jam. On the other hand, it has a larger, square grip, and sharp edges on the gun. I also have some concerns about Colt quality due to its ongoing financial problems.

I understand that both guns field strip the same way, with no tools required.

Which one would you buy, and why?

JD
    Administrator
    For a carry gun?

CBOB all the way!

You're really not getting much more than a name on the Colt XSE Combat Commander, the sights aren't that great, the beaver tail is crap, it's not fit as nicely as the DW, the finish isn't as nice as the DW, you don't get the checkered front strap, and of course, no bobtail.
    Regarding the mags, you're probably going to get better mags with the DW, and when you need more mags, you can just buy quality 8rd mags, so that's not really an issue.

Get the CBOB.

If I could trade my Colt 5" XSE for a CBOB today, I'd do it hands down no regrets.

If you were just buying to have a 1911, I might suggest the Colt for the collectors appeal.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmosby View Post
    The Wesson is retailing at $1,110, and the Colt is retailing at $1,060 (California prices, and difficult to find either gun).
    Nothing to add that JD didn't already say.

Have you tried Buds for cheaper prices? All you gotta do is get a FFL to get it for you. Or does it have to be CA compliant??? All their website says is - California - No Hi-Cap Mags without a Hi-Cap Mag Permit.

Guns for Sale

+1 on JD's post...out of those two choices, definitely the Dan Wesson.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I honestly think JD hit the nail on the head. +1 for CBOB. The CBOB is on my shortlist.

The CBOB is also a series 70 gun.

I'll be the dissenting vote I guess (at least until OD gets here). The CBOB is a great gun by all accounts but I'd personally have to go with the Colt, they simply fit my hand best of all the production 1911s. To the best of my knowledge, the XSE line does in fact have a lowered and flared ejection port and I believe a throated barrel as well (though I'm not totally sure about the barrel).

Mags are easy to replace either way, I recommend Wilson #47D 8 rounders for carry. The beavertail grip safety is a subjective thing: No the Colt model isn't as pretty as most and I prefer an Ed Brown in most cases but the the Colt safety DOES work. Sights again are subjective: Even if a gun has night sights, they may not be the style you prefer and in general it's not that hard to swap them out (provided no milling is required).

The only thing that I really, TRULY don't like on the XSE is the forward cocking serrations. I'd like to find the guy who originally came up with that abomination and kick him squarely in the ........ "teeth" - just my humble opinion of course!
    Jack

I was in the same boat earlier this year, but also considered lightweight guns... I compared a CBOB with a Colt Lightweight commander and it was obvious which one I'd actually carry; the Colt. The CBOB felt like a steel chunk compared to the aluminum frame colt... I do agree that the CBOB has MUCH more upgrades and is definitely a tighter gun. I've spent money on a new grip safety (old one in pic), dehorning, etc, but it's been 100% so far.

If you want an all steel piece, the CBOB is definitely a bargain... They were $859 when I was looking earlier this year.

---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

The photo is, in my opinion, what you want for a carry gun but the Lightweight Commanders are getting expensive! This is where I snatched the photo from: GunsAmerica - Colt Automatic Pistols (1911 & Var) - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions
    Lastly, here is my Lightweight Commander but no, you cannot have it. Regards, Richard

My Colt Lightweight Commander:

My DW Bobtail:

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

IF a 1911 for CCW is your game. The DW CBOB is hard to beat.
    Mine was both easy to conceal and accurate.

More Dan Wesson fotos and review:http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/DW.html

Senior Moderator
    The CBOB felt like a steel chunk compared to the aluminum frame colt
    Not all XSE's are aluminum. Mine is stainless steel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

whw
    I would go with the Colt. That little horse might command a lot of respect somewhere down the road.

whw

DW Cbob. No question.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

There's ABSOLUTELY no question the CBOB is a better gun.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I own an XSE gvt , I will pay a smith to bobtail it . I plan on using a member smith here ( jess ) to get it done and have visited with him on the project , money however has been the downfall .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links