Glock 27 or Glock 36 for ccw?

This is a discussion on Glock 27 or Glock 36 for ccw? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still on the fence about picking up a gun for ccw. I'm thinking of either a Glock 36 (45 auto) or a Glock 27 (40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 or Glock 36 for ccw?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Glock 27 or Glock 36 for ccw?

Still on the fence about picking up a gun for ccw. I'm thinking of either a Glock 36 (45 auto) or a Glock 27 (40 cal. S & W), but not sure which.

I've called around, and no ranges close by, have both of these as rentals. I would appreciate any comments from any who might carry either of these. Opinions particularly about concealability, and recoil.

2. Remove Ads

A HK....LOL JK
    The 27 would get my vote .
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Never fired a 27; and, to be honest, I'm not a big .40 fan.

However...I did have a 26. I still have a 36, and still carry it regularly. The caliber is only part of the reason (imho, 11 rounds of 9mm vs 7 rounds of .45 were pretty equal)--I did slighty lean towards .45. But--the 36 was much more comfortable for carry, especially in an IWB rig. Also, I didn't like having my pinky floating in space (yes, I'm aware of grip extenders...can't say I cared for them; the only failures I ever had with my 26 were with extended mags). And, all things being equal, I just shot better with the 36.

So--I recommend the 36.
    Last edited by Cuda66; June 10th, 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: grammatical errors...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I did a comparison of the 9mm, .40 and .45 fired from the Glocks. What I learned is the 9mm had the least recoil, the .45 next and the .40 had the most. If you haven't fired these guns, I would suggest not buying them until you do. You need to see how they feel in your hand and how they shoot.

I carry a 27. I am a small guy and it conceals quite well. I believe the 36 is about the same size. It really depends on your build.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Last gun show I attended, I found a G36 and handled it. This was back when my current G30 had to go for something better for me. Not bad, but a bit thin---strangely enough, my G30 was too thick. But---for 6 round magazine capacity--well I kept looking, ears and eyes opened, and an ad in the newspaper and finally found my best option. Traded that G30 on a SIG P220. I've carried my G27 for several years. It was my best option (and a good one for sure) until I got my G19 earlier this year. My G27 is still good for deep concealment, but my G19 pretty much takes the driver's seat for summer time carry. All that being said, I can't forsee my G27 leaving the stable or becoming jealous in the future----it still has it's place, and it has worked long and hard for that.

whw
    Take a hard look at the Glock 19. Not much different in size when compared to the G26/27, but all the difference in the world when it comes to ergonomics.
    Also, I think the Glocks are best in the 9mm platform.

whw

I'd go with the 27. Both conceal well. I don't think that there is a significant difference between .40 and .45. I'm not trying to start a caliber war. But, 10 rounds of .40 are better than 7 rounds of .45 IMO. Plus, you can carry a spare G22 mag and have 15 more rounds. You would have to carry two G36 mags to get 12 rounds.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I carry the G23, looking to get the G27 in the future. Love having the 13+1 on my G23.

My vote is for the G27, but look into the G23.

Having owned both, I'm sure you will find the 27 to be much more concealable. Compared to the 26, though, it is much snappier in recoil.

The 36 is a nice carry piece if you want .45. In size, it is much more comparable to the 23.

I'd vote for the slim 36 and put it in a nice thin IWB holster like the Milt Sparks Watch Six.

You really can't go wrong with either one, it's just a matter of what YOU prefer.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Man... I'd have to seriously consider the G-30SF too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Man... I'd have to seriously consider the G-30SF too!
    You may find that this is really what you are looking for in a concealed handgun!
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Of the guns you mention, I only have experience with the G27, and it is my primary CCW. I did install the mag floorplate that has the grip extension, (from GAP)and it works great, it really enhances your grip and recoil recovery.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have the Glock-36...didn't like Glocks until I picked up the '36'...it's now my Harley gun...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Find a range or a friend that has both and shoot them. Don't buy a gun on anyones recommendation!!! It will cost you too much money if you buy one without shooting it and then have to sell it later. They are both fine guns, but you need to find which one works best for you... you may someday own both. I recently purchase my third Glock... they are addictive.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I've owned both the G27 & G36. I traded the G27, but still own the G36. I primarily carry the G36 during summertime. The frame is actually slightly thinner than the G27, and the grip significantly thinner. For me, the grip length is perfect balance between size and concealability. The G36 is a nicer shooter. I found the G27 very snappy given it's caliber. My vote is for the G36.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links