Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$

This is a discussion on Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, as in all things; a custom gun is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Some people are willing to pay more ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$

Well, as in all things; a custom gun is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Some people are willing to pay more than others. Heck, some people even like red heads.

For some poeple it is worth the extra $ to own something with a very polished fit and finish, and to appreciate maybe some fine engineering and manufacturing savvy.

For others, a gun is just a tool, and as long as it performs to expectations, that is all that matters, and it is not worth the extra $ for a custom gun.

How many of you would purchase a genuine forged steel hammer manufactured with tolerances to .0001" , a custom cocobolo handle with inset markings and logos for $200 if one were available? Probably not many, because after all, you're just gonna pound nails with it.

I recently bought an Ed Brown SS Kobra Carry, but then again I saved for a couple of years to afford it. It was worth it to me, but might not be worth it to you.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    My thoughts on this are exactly the same as acparmed. I have a Kimber TLE II and really like it. It has been a reliable and accurate gun. I also have a Nighthawk Enforcer. Both are full size (5") 1911's that at first glance look almost alike. Look closer and the tolerances and "feel" of the Nighthawk are noticeable. Shoot it and it becomes even more noticeable in the trigger (much smoother), accuracy, control and even recoil. And, although it does make a difference in each of these areas, much of the joy in owning it in working the action and admiring the workmanship. That being said, I would trust the Kimber with my life the same as the Nighthawk.
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

In my opinion (FWIW), the analysis can be broken down pretty simply. First, of course is utility. Assuming that for practical - practical, not bench - purposes, most of us are not going to be able to shoot up to the additional potential a truly custom pistol offers. If you are, then go for the custom.

Second, what do you want to get out of the gun - do you want a utility weapon, or an heirloom that you consider as much a work of art as a tool, and something that you want to pass on to future generations so that your grandkids can handle it, see your initials on it, and enjoy something of the inherrent qualities you see in yourself? Then, go for the custom.

If you are in neither category, then I'd suggest going custom would be a waste of money.

And hey, I'm speaking from experience! I am attaching two photos. One is my daily driver, a pre Series 80s LIghtweight Commander that's bone stock inside (just added sights, low-ride thumb safety, a drop-in Wilson beavertail, and slim grips). It has never been touched internally by a gunsmith, and it is UTTERLY reliable. The other photo is a Kimber I bought new from Clark Custom Guns and had them do an accuracy job on. I carry the LWC, and I don't carry the Clark. Why? Well, the full-size Clark is heavier to be sure, but the main reason is that I have supreme confidence in the stock LWC, and that is not matched by the Clark.

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Images
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Sorry! Double posted, New guy.

To me they are worth every penny! The semi-custom's are the Wilson's, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, RRA, etc. are all very well made very clean looking guns free of MIM and plastic parts, FPS, and free from the high production levels of Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. Thus will be free from defects or problems 99.9% of the time and will also hold their value with only a small percentage of loss from new. Read the 1911 forums! the high production guns are the ones with all of the problems the semi-custom's are as I said 99.9% free of problems.

So to me yes they are that much better. As I said no MIM small parts, no FPS, they have match barrels, Kart barrels, 1.5 guarentee, the slide to frame fit is supreme, the Mags are of the highest quality, the finishes are outstanding ,the trigger pull's are like butter, the springs are the best, like Wolff!, the grips are high quality wood, or Aluma grips, and you can have the gun built to you specifications to exactly what you want.

I bought A Kimber Ultra CDP because I like the size and looks of it for a summer carry gun and I have had problems with it from the day I bought it. FTF and it would jam up on occasion. That to me is not a reliable carry gun.

So instead of shipping it back to Kimber it went straight to Otto Matyska, my local gun smith that is a master of the 1911. I had Otto not only fix the feeding and jamming problems with a complete reliability tune, polish the breech face, lowered ejection port, had to realign the barrel to feed properly, etc. I also changed out all of the MIM and plastic parts, Wilson grip safety, dropped the FPS, new Ti firing pin, added thinline Aluma grips, dropped the ambi safety for a tactical, changed to Wolff springs, bought Tripp Cobra mags, and now the gun is absolutely flawless! The only way I will carry one.

Doing this cost me plenty, I could have bought a semi-custom and had enough left over to buy a bunch of mags and ammo and took my girlfriend out to a very nice dinner, easy! for what I paid for the gun and to have it custom. But I liked the gun's size so I made it my Kimber Ultra Custom, replaced all the junk that Kimber use's to cut the cost down, you know the important stuff that makes the gun work properly to get a 100% reliable CCW gun that I have 100% confidence in now.

I also have a full custom Ted Yost Ti Carry being built as we speak on a Caspian titanium frame. The gun will cost me about $2,300.00 out the door and will be everything I have ever dreamed of in a gun and more! built to exactly what I want from my wish list, also worth every penny.

The problem with this as you said is, they are expensive and I will not be able to have a dozen or more of these custom gun's nor would I want to spend that kind of money for that many expensive gun's. My goal is to get 5 of these elite gun's that will be everything I will want or need in a 1911 and a CCW.

2 almost down and three to go, 2 Nighthawk's are next on the list, the Predator II and the GRP Recon and the 5th I am undecided on yet.

TI.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; November 8th, 2005 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I also have a full custom Ted Yost Ti Carry being built as we speak on a Caspian titanium frame.
    Well, you nailed my dream gun. I think his pistols are among the most beautiful out there. I REALLY like what he does with a BHP!

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    the 5th I am undecided on yet.

TI.
    May I suggest the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I have a matched pair of these and they are truly impressive. And the price is a full $500-$800 cheaper than other comparable custom guns. Each gun has now had about 2,000 rounds though it with zero malfunctions. I ordered mine with ambi-safeties, the 2 piece mag wells and hard chrome finish. The triggers are superb, fit and finish is beyond compare.
    Attached Images
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    While I can understand and appreciate the fine built guns , for me a gun is a tool. I would not buty a ornate , fine crafted shovel or hammer for the same reason.

As one having a few custom guns. Thye're worht the money, IF you can buy em right, and if you stick em away for a while.
    The ASP I have, I bought for 550.00 way back when, in 1986. Now, it's about 2500-3000 where you can find em, maybe even more money too.
    The Browns, Baers, Nighthawks, are well worth the money, as well as the others..Price point is very important IMHO.

For over a decade I have carried a glock 19.

It goes bang every time, is a reasonable caliber, I shoot it well. Why should I pay more than the going rate for a glock for a handgun.

About 3 months ago, I was about 1 move away from having to draw and fire at 3 guys who were attempting to set me up for a car jack or worse at a gas station here in Miami.

Long story short, I was able to position myself in such a way that they couldn't manuever and they realized I was about to draw my weapon first and they changed their mind.

I have always shot 1911s from draw, to sight acquisition and trigger squeeze faster and more accurately than any other handgun. I also consider .45 more effective than 9mm.

I believe that a reliable 1911 will cost a minimum of $1500.00 after parts labor etc... You may argue that but I have done some homework and arrived at this conclusion. You can get lucky with a Kimber, S&W, Springfield, etc.... .., but as others have mentioned, it is prudent to replace MIM parts, and have the gun tweaked by a qualified 'smith.

I ended up with a Wilson CQB compact, and for about 2000.00 bucks, got a handgun that is flawless, and will last several lifetimes.

Granted, 3 on 1 would have probably been a dead me if the goblins were more motivated, but since my handgun is my only weapon on the street, I believe I have the responsibility to have the most effective one I can practically carry.
    Last edited by soflasmg; November 9th, 2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: for clarity on weapon selection

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    May I suggest the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I have a matched pair of these and they are truly impressive. And the price is a full $500-$800 cheaper than other comparable custom guns. Each gun has now had about 2,000 rounds though it with zero malfunctions. I ordered mine with ambi-safeties, the 2 piece mag wells and hard chrome finish. The triggers are superb, fit and finish is beyond compare.
    The TRS is at the top of the list! That is a very nice combo by the way. I agree that Baer is the best semi-custom gun value out there hands down. My FFL has them for such a great price that it is hard to believe sometimes. I am thinking of picking up a SS Stinger for! are you ready for this 1,495.95. That is a deal.

Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    For over a decade I have carried a glock 19.

It goes bang every time, is a reasonable caliber, I shoot it well. Why should I pay more than the going rate for a glock for a handgun.

About 3 months ago, I was about 1 move away from having to draw and fire at 3 guys who were attempting to set me up for a car jack or worse at a gas station here in Miami.

Long story short, I was able to position myself in such a way that they couldn't manuever and they realized I was about to draw my weapon first and they changed their mind.

I have always shot 1911s from draw, to sight acquisition and trigger squeeze faster and more accurately than any other handgun. I also consider .45 more effective than 9mm.

I believe that a reliable 1911 will cost a minimum of $1500.00 after parts labor etc... You may argue that but I have done some homework and arrived at this conclusion. You can get lucky with a Kimber, S&W, Springfield, etc.... .., but as others have mentioned, it is prudent to replace MIM parts, and have the gun tweaked by a qualified 'smith.

I ended up with a Wilson CQB compact, and for about 2000.00 bucks, got a handgun that is flawless, and will last several lifetimes.

Granted, 3 on 1 would have probably been a dead me if the goblins were more motivated, but since my handgun is my only weapon on the street, I believe I have the responsibility to have the most effective one I can practically carry.
    I am new to this board and I am not one to start anything and I am not starting anything now!

But aren't you contradicting yourself in your post saying, For over a decade I have carried a glock 19. It goes bang every time, is a reasonable caliber, I shoot it well. Why should I pay more than the going rate for a glock for a handgun.

And then saying, I ended up with a Wilson CQB compact, and for about 2000.00 bucks, got a handgun that is flawless, and will last several lifetimes.

I'm confused!

TI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links